school refusers

a resource for parents 

Please feel free to join our School Refuser message forum discussions. If you have experience of school refusing, you may find it appropriate to respond to previous posts.  Or you may be feeling isolated and wish to express your feelings.  Whatever, your contribtions are welocme. 

No registration required - just get posting!

School Refusal
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Your experience of how the school treated your school refuser

Hi Mike

I am so sorry to hear this and it sounds so familiar. I also found the teachers seemed locked into the attitude that you can't treat one child differently, and yet this is in an era when we are told to embrace differences.

It sounds like your son is being treated as having a behaviour issue rather than an anxiety issue or disability with time. Why are teachers not being taught to see what the problems really are? Maybe all teachers need ro study some psychology and about disability.

I think Simon is right....we need to up the pressure and make schools sit up and understand. Even just a few sympathetic teachers is not enough, the whole school needs ro support kids who struggle to get to school or when at school.

I hope yu can find support for your son soon...perhaps outside of school.
Linda

Re: Your experience of how the school treated your school refuser

My view at the moment would be that there is an endemic problem.

My son's first junior school has not been inspected since before 2005. They shockingly bad. We moved him.

The SENCO at my wife's school visited when the SENCO retired - she wanted a school nearer home.

She returned and in her view the school were not supporting children, parents would leave.

Sats results good - Ofsted stay away. My wife had three inspections in that time.

I complained to DfE Ofsted and LA. I believe that there was a pattern which could easily have been identified. We knew and still know many of the parents of the children who were SEN. All the authorities refused to act and told me to tell the governors. I asked what would happen if I did nothing. The answer was nothing.

Reminds me of Jimmy Saville - I do accept that the action was different. But we still have vulnerable children not supported.