school refusers

a resource for parents 

Please feel free to join our School Refuser message forum discussions. If you have experience of school refusing, you may find it appropriate to respond to previous posts.  Or you may be feeling isolated and wish to express your feelings.  Whatever, your contribtions are welocme. 

No registration required - just get posting!

School Refusal
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Daily routine

Hi Sara and Julie

How have things gone in the last few weeks?
Linda

Thanks Linda for your concern. Things are getting worse. Went to school last week for 2 hours 😩

Hi Sara,
I am so sorry to hear this. Must be so stressful for you. I know that feeling well!
I am still a firm believer that one has to deal with the anxiety as an issue and build self esteem and confidence that will help them to take steps forward. If school is continuously out in the equation, they continue to react against it. Some recent research, however, has found that medication (in this case it was prozac) combined with one on one cognitive behaviour therapy, gets many kids back to school.
Perhaps you might consider medication? And can the school provide or recommend someone for cognitive behaviour therapy?
Do you suspect your son might be on the autism scale? In which case, does the school also have some ideas?

Meanwhile....don't let it spiral you and your son down. Find some ways outside of school to make him feel he is ok and can give him some confidence. If he is interested in something,perhaps pursue that as a source of learning as well as building self esteem.
I think I have mentioned in previous posts things to do at home.
If your son has no friends at school, then could this be a big part of not wanting to be there? Can the school come up with some kind of way of getting him and any other kids in similar positions (there is always more than one) to get to know each other better?

Come on here any time if you have questions or advice, as myself, Simon or someone else might have ideas to help you through.
There is no one answer but I do know that the main thing is not to feel judged and let others make you feel guilty that your son is not getting to school. Maybe talk to the doctor and about prozac. We didn't get onto the right medicatin soon enough.
The research I mention was done by Monash University in Australia. You can search on line or there might be a link in the Blog section or resource section of the website here, if you wanted to pass the info on to the doctor.
All the best and do something nice just for you today ...
Linda

Hi Sara (and Julie),

Have you managed to get some more support?
Can you organise a counsellor or psychologist, to deal with the anxiety and building self esteem back up?
What i have learnt on our long journey is that the previous psychologists should have been focusing on the anxiety and not just school refusal because by focusing just on school my son, and I am sure many school refusers, start to feel they have 'failed' and are not normal.
Keeping some kind of learning or education going is important but school isn't everything, but our child's self worth and acceptance in this world is.
Take care,
Linda xx