school refusers

a resource for parents 

Please feel free to join our School Refuser message forum discussions. If you have experience of school refusing, you may find it appropriate to respond to previous posts.  Or you may be feeling isolated and wish to express your feelings.  Whatever, your contribtions are welocme. 

No registration required - just get posting!

School Refusal
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: My son has refused school for 3 months I’m at a loss

Hi Carly

Sorry you find yourself in this awful situation too - my son is a school refuser and we get very little help. My son stopped going to school in October (Year 7) and has not been back. We have changed school and pretty much done everything possible. We have an appointment with CAMHS in April but have waited about 8 weeks. I wish I could wave my magic wand and everything be okay its a horrible feeling and I constantly feel like a crap mother. My son is very similar I have to force him out of bed, he is constantly tired, feels ill, looks pale, we joined a gym to try to get some exercise but he has begun refusing to go to that!! I am hoping CAMHS will help but I fear its going to be a long haul and I have resigned myself that he might not go back to school but if I can get some help with tutoring that would be okay. I take everyday as it comes now and am trying to get some sort of routine with school work at home (my older daughter sets his work). The doctor would not give him medication as said its not a medication issue!! I can't believe there is such little help for what seems to be a relatively common problem. My son plays on his Xbox every night as it is his only communication with is friends (they do occasionally come over but everybody is so busy) - we actually encourage him in the evening for a couple of hours so he is keeping up these friendships. Try not to be too hard on yourself, take every day as it comes - I have good days and bad days. I have decided he may never go back and if he does he may need to resit a year but it doesn't matter right now I just need to get him well again. Susan

Hi Susan
Thanks so much for replying I do appreciate it, I’m sorry too you ar3 in this situation.
I think it’s the social side of school I worry about him missing out on and transitions into any further education or work .
He pretty much refuses to do much school work the school sent stuff but he seems to lack confidence in his ability.
Like you I just want him happy whatever that may take ..it’s soooo hard isn’t it and the strain on the family is big. I just feel so sorry for him really and I’m powerless , as a parent the most frustrating thing.
I agree there isn’t a lot out there in terms of immediate help and I’m sceptical of wits to come .
Thanks again
Take care

Hi Carly,
How have things gone since you last posted? Are you stil finding it quite difficult to work through with your son or have you managed to take some steps forward? Such a rocky road, isn't it. And draining!
I do hope you have found some help for your son and he is willing to accept help. Let us know how you are.
Take care,
Linda