school refusers

a resource for parents 

Please feel free to join our School Refuser message forum discussions. If you have experience of school refusing, you may find it appropriate to respond to previous posts.  Or you may be feeling isolated and wish to express your feelings.  Whatever, your contribtions are welocme. 

No registration required - just get posting!

School Refusal
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Just found this site again

So good to hear from you again!

I am so pleased that life is now rather calmer and the future looking brighter.

Your daughter will know when the time is right to settle into college life. It may be a struggle at the start, but she will get there, as our daughter eventually did.

Simon

Hi Victoria,

Lovely to hear from you (yes I'm still here!!).
So nice to know how your daughter went and I agree entirely that mental health is the issue.
Until the schools and professionals start tackling that and realise that facing your fears might work in other circumstances but not in school (too many fears to face at once) then our kids will continue to struggle to find steps forward.
We are at the stage of letting a second attempt to do the final year slide. My son's own choice to do both times but I suspect he needed to be stronger before tackling this and it also kept reminding him of how he had failed in the past to keep attending. It has taken its toll over the years and I wish I had found an alternative way back.

I am sure your daughter will find her way forward eventually, as she proved in doing her final year. They just have to wait until they can find ways to manage their mental health. What is your daughter doing in the meantime? Did she have the confidence to get a job?
All the best,
Linda

Hi Linda
Good to see youre still here.
My daughter is currently getting therapy, something we should have pursued earlier but she wasnt ready imo.
Shes going to redo her final school year resit the state exams and apply again for the college place she wants. This is her dream and I'll try my hardest to help her achieve this.
Love this site.