New Page 1

Welcome to the USS SEA ROBIN Message Board!

This Discussion Board is open to all SEA ROBIN crew members and invited guests..ENJOY!

USSVI
USSVI  Homepage 2018 REUNION Re-cap SS-407 Association
SS-407 Reunion Pictures SS-407 Homepage Jonesy's Domain
SS-407 Eternal Patrol SS-407 HOLLAND CLUB SS-407 Sailing List

War Patrol Report #1

War Patrol Report #2

War Patrol Report #3

MYRON " "Mike" RITTER RM2(SS) 1963-65

DAN WALKER Rm3/c 1944-46 PLANKOWNER

SHIPMATES ON ETERNAL PATROL

RICHARD "Dick" MCGIRR ET1(SS) 1965-65 - 1/12/2018
SILAS D. "Danny" PONDER EN1(SS) 1954-59 - 1/15/2018
EDOUARD N. "Ed" CADORET EMP3(SS) 1956-58
Gilbert F. "Bert" Lomax. Sr TN(SS) 1948-48 - 4/25/2018
James A. Adams IC2(SS) 1960-61 - 6/21/2018
Stanley L. Preneta RM2(SS) 1951-52 - 7/4/2018
Karl B. Eagar SN 1947-48 - 7/18/2018
David D. "Dave" Wilkinson ET3(SS) 1964-65 - 11/17/2018
Lee. G. Mather SN(SS) 1955-56 - 11/30/2018
Robert G. "TOMMY" Tucker QM2(SS) 1964-66 - 12/4/2018
Frank R. Berkhimer CDR (CO) 1968-69 12/27/2018
David J. Olson EM2(SS) 1970-70 12/28/2018
John F. Lyding LCDR - (XO) 1963-65 1/25/2019
William "Bill" Von Der Lieth EM1(SS) 1949-52 3/23/2109
Raymond P. Jebing EN3(SS) 1962-66 4/9/2019
Donald M. Marroletti RM3(SS) 1955-57 7/30/2019
Thomas Willett EMCS(SS) 1961-66 6/20/2019
Myron Ritter RM2(SS) 1963-65 9/16/2019
Daniel R. Walker Rm3/c 1944-46 9/18/2019
Winton W. Armstrong Sm2/c 1944-45 10/4/2019

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Re: Re: Re: New Picture - Discussion

JUST A QUESTION,ON THE BRIDGE,I THINK WHERE WE HAD 20MM GUNS THERE ARE WINDOWS IN THE CONNING TOWER. DID THEY DO THIS SO IF A LITTLE SPRAY STARTED COMMING OVER THE BRIDGE, THE PEOPLE COULD GO THERE SO THEY DIDN'T GET WET?

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: New Picture - Discussion

Chuck,

At the top of that photo you can see a piece of a thick, heavy plexiglas "bubble". The bridge area is at that height, and that "bubble" can be rotated up and locked into position in order to block spray. Behind the OD are two cutouts in the superstructure that each lookout can pop up out of. You can see that in this picture. Also visible is an access door used to reach the main deck.

The conning tower hatch is right at the feet of the starboard lookout, and more than one got his toes smashed when the hatch came off the latch in heavy seas.

Those windows in the sail, down low were not used while underway, as far as I know. A lot of times, while in port, the topside watch would duck in there to get out of the weather and still have a view of the brow and forward deck. There was even a shelf in there, in the forward part, that one could use as a desk.

From there, a short set of steps brought you up to the bridge level.

Paul

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: New Picture - Discussion

HAVING STOOD LOTS OF WATCHES TOP SIDE IN VERY FOUL WEATHER WITH NO PROTECTION I WAS MAKING THE STATMENT AS A GIG BUT THANKS TO YOU PAUL IT DIDN'T WORK. THANK YOU FOR THE GOOD INFORMATION

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: New Picture - Discussion

Oops...MY BAD. I thought you were serious.

I forgot to add that it was also a good place to duck into if you needed to take a wizz.

Speaking of cold weather. The coldest watch I stood, forced me to go on the pier and crack one of the steam valves. I then stood over the column of stean until my watch ended and I was relieved.

My foul weather clothing was just about frozen solid by the time I got the the AB hatch however.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: New Picture - Discussion

I think we were on the way to the Med in 63. We were in a very strong following sea. The lookouts and OD were chained in on the bridge. The OD and one lookout were next to each other on the upper level of the bridge and I was in that lower level looking out through the plexiglas windows. We took a wave over the stern that flooded the bridge and dog shack area. I was completely under water and felt somthing falling on me. I held it back and when the water receded found I was holding the OD who had been knocked off his feet. I think this was the storm where we barely made headway for 2 or 3 days. Anybody remember this?
Buttons

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: New Picture - Discussion

Buttons.

WTF were you doing there???

LAUNDY????

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: New Picture - Discussion

My skiveys needed some work after that experience.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: New Picture - Discussion

Buttons,
Was that the time we went through the Strait of Gibralter, following an ASR? We were on one engine going ahead 3 knots and the weather pushed us 2 knots back. I remembering the OOD said he could barley see the aircraft warning lights on the ASR every 1 minutes or so. We had another rough transit through the Straits of Bonifacio, between Sardinia and Corsica, where we lost the aft messenger buoy. They wouldn't let us dive till we got a new buoy. I think someone found our original buoy and we got it back much later.
Frenchy

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: New Picture - Discussion

I think we stayed in Naples until they flew bouy over to us. also on the trip over we were in very rough weather when we lost use of the antenna on the scope. I remember I had to go up on top of the sail and take 40 allen screws off and lower the antenna to the bridge and then put the new one on after putting the special grease and gasket on. it was very cold and I kept one hand in a pocket and worked with the other one and switched off when the one hand would get numb. we were rolling pretty heavy as I would look down and see nothing but water on each side as we rolled that way. I don't think I have ever been so cold, I know doc gave me a shot of rum or something when I came down. I'll never forget how cold it was.