New Page 1

Welcome to the USS SEA ROBIN Message Board!

This Discussion Board is open to all SEA ROBIN crew members and invited guests..ENJOY!

USSVI
USSVI  Homepage 2018 REUNION Re-cap SS-407 Association
SS-407 Reunion Pictures SS-407 Homepage Jonesy's Domain
SS-407 Eternal Patrol SS-407 HOLLAND CLUB SS-407 Sailing List

War Patrol Report #1

War Patrol Report #2

War Patrol Report #3

MYRON " "Mike" RITTER RM2(SS) 1963-65

DAN WALKER Rm3/c 1944-46 PLANKOWNER

SHIPMATES ON ETERNAL PATROL

RICHARD "Dick" MCGIRR ET1(SS) 1965-65 - 1/12/2018
SILAS D. "Danny" PONDER EN1(SS) 1954-59 - 1/15/2018
EDOUARD N. "Ed" CADORET EMP3(SS) 1956-58
Gilbert F. "Bert" Lomax. Sr TN(SS) 1948-48 - 4/25/2018
James A. Adams IC2(SS) 1960-61 - 6/21/2018
Stanley L. Preneta RM2(SS) 1951-52 - 7/4/2018
Karl B. Eagar SN 1947-48 - 7/18/2018
David D. "Dave" Wilkinson ET3(SS) 1964-65 - 11/17/2018
Lee. G. Mather SN(SS) 1955-56 - 11/30/2018
Robert G. "TOMMY" Tucker QM2(SS) 1964-66 - 12/4/2018
Frank R. Berkhimer CDR (CO) 1968-69 12/27/2018
David J. Olson EM2(SS) 1970-70 12/28/2018
John F. Lyding LCDR - (XO) 1963-65 1/25/2019
William "Bill" Von Der Lieth EM1(SS) 1949-52 3/23/2109
Raymond P. Jebing EN3(SS) 1962-66 4/9/2019
Donald M. Marroletti RM3(SS) 1955-57 7/30/2019
Thomas Willett EMCS(SS) 1961-66 6/20/2019
Myron Ritter RM2(SS) 1963-65 9/16/2019
Daniel R. Walker Rm3/c 1944-46 9/18/2019
Winton W. Armstrong Sm2/c 1944-45 10/4/2019

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Men who sailed on Sea Robin

I'm amazed at the power and legacy of some of the men that served on our old boat. If you read sailing lists of submarines as much as I do, you get the feeling that many fine men served on our boat. There have been quite a few that went on and made BIG names for themselves, and I'm always proud to have served on the same boat as they did.

As an example, allow me to share an email that Mike Bachman sent me a bit ago.

Paul,
An interesting story about our shipmate locator. Since I was going to pick up the Virginia in Pensacola, I searched the "shipmate locator" to see if a Sea Robin shipmate lived in Pensacola. I found Lt. Dean Axene. I sent him an e-mail to see if I could contact him if I got in a bind or something unexpected popped up after I arrived. Sort of an "Ace in the hole". He was listed as Lt. (XO) '52-'53. THEN, for some reason, I googled his name....WOW, did I feel awkward. RADM Dean Axene(ret.) came up. He was the CO of the Thresher and transferred to a boomer a few months prior to the Thresher loss. I tried to recall my e-mail, but it had been opened. He responded with a very gracious e-mail. He explained that he and his wife were in a retirement community, that she was an invalid and he was her only caregiver and that time away from her was limited. He gave me his "unlisted" phone number and offered any help I might need. He thought we could possibly fit dinner into the schedule. His hospitality was unbelievable. I was really looking forward to meeting him, but a few days after his reply, the CO of the Virginia sent me a letter, and the pickup location had been changed to Port Canaveral. He said a driver would pick me up in Cocoa Beach and transport me to the boat. He said they would only "bump" the pier, tie up just long enough to get me aboard, then pull out for ops. Since I'm arriving a day early, a precaution on my part, they will have Senior Chief James Ganley on shore in Cocoa Beach to make sure things go well until we depart. Long story, but I wanted to tell you my experience with Dean Axene just proves what we all know...Sea Robin shipmates are the best.

Mike Bachman

As a brief follow up, Charlie Rhodes received a personal check from the Admiral the other day for a significant sum to help defray expenses at our next reunion. He sends his regrets that he will not be in attendance, but wishes all of us well.

I've shared a couple of emails with the Admiral over the past couple pf years and he seems to be an outstanding Shipmate. Guys who served with him probably already know that.

ADM Axene served a XO of Nautilus after leaving Sea Robin. He was the 1st CO of USS Thresher and later was 1st CO of SSBN530 (Blue)USS John C. Calhoun.

I will be sending an Thank You email to the Admiral and I know he would like to hear from the men of the Sea Robin. He's pretty active on the computer, so I expect that you will receive a very warm reply.

His email is listed on our Sailing List, so I won't post it here. If anyone wants it, send me an email.

Re: Men who sailed on Sea Robin

Sadly, RADM Axene accepted his orders for Eternal Patrol on Friday, 19 Dec. 2008.

Thanks for sharing the wonderful message about him on your 407 website. I may wish to request the use of that in his honor on ours, as I'm also our Webmaster.

Regretfully,

Joseph K. Shook, President, 2008-2010
John C. Calhoun Veterans Association

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

Replying to:

I'm amazed at the power and legacy of some of the men that served on our old boat. If you read sailing lists of submarines as much as I do, you get the feeling that many fine men served on our boat. There have been quite a few that went on and made BIG names for themselves, and I'm always proud to have served on the same boat as they did.

As an example, allow me to share an email that Mike Bachman sent me a bit ago.

Paul,
An interesting story about our shipmate locator. Since I was going to pick up the Virginia in Pensacola, I searched the "shipmate locator" to see if a Sea Robin shipmate lived in Pensacola. I found Lt. Dean Axene. I sent him an e-mail to see if I could contact him if I got in a bind or something unexpected popped up after I arrived. Sort of an "Ace in the hole". He was listed as Lt. (XO) '52-'53. THEN, for some reason, I googled his name....WOW, did I feel awkward. RADM Dean Axene(ret.) came up. He was the CO of the Thresher and transferred to a boomer a few months prior to the Thresher loss. I tried to recall my e-mail, but it had been opened. He responded with a very gracious e-mail. He explained that he and his wife were in a retirement community, that she was an invalid and he was her only caregiver and that time away from her was limited. He gave me his "unlisted" phone number and offered any help I might need. He thought we could possibly fit dinner into the schedule. His hospitality was unbelievable. I was really looking forward to meeting him, but a few days after his reply, the CO of the Virginia sent me a letter, and the pickup location had been changed to Port Canaveral. He said a driver would pick me up in Cocoa Beach and transport me to the boat. He said they would only "bump" the pier, tie up just long enough to get me aboard, then pull out for ops. Since I'm arriving a day early, a precaution on my part, they will have Senior Chief James Ganley on shore in Cocoa Beach to make sure things go well until we depart. Long story, but I wanted to tell you my experience with Dean Axene just proves what we all know...Sea Robin shipmates are the best.

Mike Bachman

As a brief follow up, Charlie Rhodes received a personal check from the Admiral the other day for a significant sum to help defray expenses at our next reunion. He sends his regrets that he will not be in attendance, but wishes all of us well.

I've shared a couple of emails with the Admiral over the past couple pf years and he seems to be an outstanding Shipmate. Guys who served with him probably already know that.

ADM Axene served a XO of Nautilus after leaving Sea Robin. He was the 1st CO of USS Thresher and later was 1st CO of SSBN530 (Blue)USS John C. Calhoun.

I will be sending an Thank You email to the Admiral and I know he would like to hear from the men of the Sea Robin. He's pretty active on the computer, so I expect that you will receive a very warm reply.

His email is listed on our Sailing List, so I won't post it here. If anyone wants it, send me an email.