New Page 1

Welcome to the USS SEA ROBIN Message Board!

This Discussion Board is open to all SEA ROBIN crew members and invited guests..ENJOY!

USSVI
USSVI  Homepage 2009 REUNION SS-407 Association
SS-407 Reunion Pictures SS-407 Homepage Jonesy's Domain
SS-407 Eternal Patrol SS-407 HOLLAND CLUB SS-407 Sailing List

War Patrol Report #1

War Patrol Report #2

War Patrol Report #3

WATERCOLOR by "John La Presle"

scanned image donated by TRACEY JOHNSTONE

SHIPMATES ON ETERNAL PATROL

EDWARD D. RABBITT RM1(SS) 1961-63 - 12/09/2017

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Huricane

They can have the hurricanes, we'll take the earthquakes. Stay safe shipmates.
Frenchy

Thanks shipmates for thinking of us down here in New Bern, NC. Just up the road from Atlantic Beach, NC. They were evacutated this AM.
We battened down the hatches and snugged up the lines, now its just sit and wait it out.
Frank Fiederlein

Frank, let us know how you make out so we have an idea what to exspect when it gets here. I don't always trust the weathermen or ladies.
Buttons

We're making preparations here. Will be heading to the marina and doubling all lines, adding a few more fenders.

House-wise, we are high and dry and in no danger of flooding. More than likely we will lose electric power which shuts us down completely (no stove, AC, water). The temps looks to be moderate so I'm not worried about the loss of AC. We've made it through 4 days of February weather without electricity/heat/water and survived house temps down to 42 degrees.

However we will have a bunch of plastic pails full of water to flush the toilet as required. We have a propane cook stove and do set that up on the enclosed back porch, along with a charcoal grill so we won't go hungry. Emergency rations will be loaded into a large ice chest so that there will no need to open the refrigerator or freezer.

Paul, we have the same problem here, we loose power we loose everthing. I have plenty of gas for the grill. Fill the bath tub then you can flush with a bucket. One thing we learned on the Sea Robin we can go a couple of weeks without bathing and nobody seemed to complain much.
Buttons

Been watching the huricane coverage. Sounds like you east coasters are prepared for this event. I hope Mother Nature will be kind to all of you. Good luck.

Noontime. We made it through ok. It is still raining lightly and the wind is letting up. Some branches and leaves down but no damage. There is some local road flooding but I'm up high so no problem here. Lost power a couple of times but it's back on now. It should be passing by Paul now, he is a little further north. Hope he makes out OK.
Buttons

Still "high & dry" Sun (1215 hrs).

No loss of power YET. Looks like the major rain activity has ceased, and by this evening any potential damaging winds will have subsided.

Hope everyone else has less problems than I have...which are NONE.

We survived category 1 hurricane. still dry and no damage.
We just have to wait for the power to come back and the TV and also the internet.
Frank

Glad you and Joan are OK...sorry to hear about loss of utilities/tv.

Checked on our boat today and she's still tied to the dock AND the dock is still in the marina.

So for us it was like nothing happened, but in many area there is a LOT of damage, flooding, power outages. For some reason, we were passed over.

Good for you Paul.
Damage here in our part of NC could have been worse with the storm surge.
Still no power.
Frank

I was a little premature in reporting the worst of the storm was over. The rain had stopped and thought the storm was about finished. Sunday afternoon the wind wipped up and took down trees and power lines. We lost power at 2:00pm and didn't get it back until 8:30 this morning. We made out OK. Iced the freezer and frig and was able to save the food. Flushed with saved buckets of water and cooked on the grill. Finally took a shower today afte 3 days but went a lot longer than that on the Sea Robin. We had no damage. Couple of friend had trees fall on there houses and did some minor damage that has been repaired. Roads were flooded in spots so we couldn't get around much for a couple of days. Everything seems to be getting back to normal.
Buttons