New Page 1

Welcome to the USS SEA ROBIN Message Board!

This Discussion Board is open to all SEA ROBIN crew members and invited guests..ENJOY!

USSVI
USSVI  Homepage 2009 REUNION SS-407 Association
SS-407 Reunion Pictures SS-407 Homepage Jonesy's Domain
SS-407 Eternal Patrol SS-407 HOLLAND CLUB SS-407 Sailing List

War Patrol Report #1

War Patrol Report #2

War Patrol Report #3

WATERCOLOR by "John La Presle"

scanned image donated by TRACEY JOHNSTONE

SHIPMATES ON ETERNAL PATROL
EDWARD D. RABBITT RM1(SS) 1961-63 - 12/09/2017

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
COMPETENT

When I departed USS Sea Robin in AUG 1967 the CO (Denver McCune) was kind enough to write a letter of recommendation for me in the hope that it would assist me in my transition to CIVLANT. It was a bit embarrassing to read, describing me in glowing terms, etc. Is he really talking about me?

Despite what I still consider unworthy praise was a phrase that said I was "COMPETENT & EXTREMELY CAPABLE." I have to admit that I cringed a bit when I first read that, believing it was a way to moderate the former phrases of flattery. But, considering what I have read recently, I offer my THANKS & a hearty SALUTE.

If anyone describes you as CAPABLE or COMPETENT, consider the following.

To the submariner, competence means more than monkey-skills in a narrow specialty. It is in fact, an institutional obsession ranked above all other considerations. In submarines the word competence takes on an extra dimension or meaning: the man who can be totally and absolutely relied upon - one who goes the distance. Marginal sailors and officers in larger units, aided by the barriers of their very size, can hide behind a facade of rank and military pretense. Not so the submarine, with it's confined space and intensely focused tasks the individual becomes an open book to his shipmates.

Competence can be a saving grace for submariners, who for the most part have a natural affinity for non-conformity, harboring disdain for the "recruiting poster" superficialities of military life.

Sid Harrison ETC(SS)