New Page 1

Welcome to the USS SEA ROBIN Message Board!

This Discussion Board is open to all SEA ROBIN crew members and invited guests..ENJOY!

USSVI
USSVI  Homepage 2009 REUNION SS-407 Association
SS-407 Reunion Pictures SS-407 Homepage Jonesy's Domain
SS-407 Eternal Patrol SS-407 HOLLAND CLUB SS-407 Sailing List

War Patrol Report #1

War Patrol Report #2

War Patrol Report #3

WATERCOLOR by "John La Presle"

scanned image donated by TRACEY JOHNSTONE

SHIPMATES ON ETERNAL PATROL

EDWARD D. RABBITT RM1(SS) 1961-63 - 12/09/2017

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
LEON STATZ EN2(SS) ETERNAL PATROL

I was relating a story about how we trashed #4 ME in the MED 1965. Engine stalled on light-off and a slug of water got back in the engine while it was still rolling over, big BANG, instant blackness with all the wet soot.

Leon was AER throttleman and slowly emerged out the the BLACKEST-black engine room I could have imagined soaking, dripping wet to announce "flooding in the after engine room", calmly as hell. I was sitting on the jump-seat in maneuvering at the time.

I just had an instinct to google his name and found his obituary. I HATE when that happens.

SAILOR REST YOUR OAR, I'll always remember how cool you were that day.

Leon James Statz, 72, Lebanon, passed away Friday, March 10, 2017 at his residence.
He was born on Jan. 13, 1945 in Imperial, Nebraska. Statz was a U.S. Navy veteran and a retired mechanic.
He was preceded in death by: his parents, Fredrick Wilhelm and Dorothy Knight Statz; three brothers; and one sister.
Survivors include: his wife, Jean Statz of Lebanon; two sons, Fred Statz of Virginia and Kevin Statz of Indiana; three daughters, Terry Hampton of Illinois, Kris Pope of Florida, and Tiffany Statz Lang of California; two brothers; three sisters; 11 grandchildren; and nine great-grandchildren.
Funeral services were held at 11 a.m. Tuesday, March 14, at Bosley Funeral Home, Lebanon, with interment in Lebanon National Cemetery with military honors conducted by the Marion County Veterans Honor Guard. Dr. David Whitlock officiated.
Expressions of sympathy may take the form of contributions to the Wounded Warriors or to the Marion County Veterans Honor Guard.
Pallbearers were Ronnie Bagwell, Tim McCann, John Masterson, Randy Turpin, Vince Culver, and Patrick Ping.
Bosley Funeral Home was in charge of arrangements.