Return to Website

The St. Augustine Theology Forum

"Let every man be swift to hear, slow to speak, slow to wrath: For the wrath of man worketh not the righteousness of God." [Jam 1:19-20]

"If he takes up rashly a meaning which the author whom he is reading did not intend, he often falls in with other statements which he cannot harmonize with this meaning. And if he admits that these statements are true and certain, then it follows that the meaning he had put upon the former passage cannot be the true one ... Faith will totter if the authority of Scripture begin to shake. And then, if faith totter, love itself will grow cold. For if a man has fallen from faith, he must necessarily also fall from love; for he cannot love what he does not believe to exist." (St. Augustine, On Christian Doctine, Book 1, Ch. 37, 397 AD)

"Since it is our duty fully to enjoy the truth which lives unchangeably, and since the triune God takes counsel in this truth for the things which He has made, the soul must be purified that it may have power to perceive that light, and to rest in it when it is perceived. And let us look upon this purification as a kind of journey or voyage to our native land. For it is not by change of place that we can come nearer to Him who is in every place, but by the cultivation of pure desires and virtuous habits." (St. Augustine, On Christian Doctine, Book 1, Ch. 10, 397 AD)

The St. Augustine Theology Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Welcome All

Welcome everybody, and may the peace of our Lord be with you. We have named this the St. Augustine forum in hopes that all will post messages with the same purity of heart and sincere quest for absolute truth that St. Augustine had in the late 4th century when he turned away from his life of sin to a life in service to the Lord Jesus Christ. He is one of the original 4 "fathers of the church." The others were: Ambrose; Jerome; and Gregory the Great, the bishop of Rome from 590-604 AD. Please try to post messages in the same sort of Spirit of love that St. Augustine had so graciously received from God.

The goal is simply to find simple absolute scriptural truth on the matter of human sexuality. I believe simple absolute truth exists, and that we have complicated the matter. I do not believe God left us complicated instructions that requires a PHD in philosophy to figure out.

Please feel free to critique anything that is on the website. I've tried my best to obtain simple absolute truth that I will pass on to my children, but since I'm human I realize that I too may need correction on scriptural interpretation. I do believe my children deserve the solid foundation of absolute truth up front, and not some sort of general truth that they will be tempted to change when they face storms in life. More than anything, I want my children (including future children-in-laws) and my grandchildren to be in God's loving arms when they pass from this world. I believe that if I am to tell my children that He who is the truth and the way, says absolutely that remarriage while your spouse is living is adultery, then I must back up my belief by helping divorced spouses. I do this by pointing out to the ones doing the divorcing that they have a Creator and a purpose for having been created and put on this planet. I follow this up by telling them about God’s love towards them and then reading scripture to them, repeating the process periodically. I believe that I have been commanded by my Lord to take on this responsibility towards the fallen person [Mat 19:6, Mar 10:9, Eze 3:18-21, Jam 5:19-20].

In doing this, I believe I can make a major impact around me. I am excited at the potential that the church can have on the world if this simple thing is done by all Christians. I believe that marriage is the crown jewel for the church. Without it, the church will continue to die off; but it will never die completely. In the end, we know who wins.

Thank you and may God bless you.