Return to Website

The St. Augustine Theology Forum

"Let every man be swift to hear, slow to speak, slow to wrath: For the wrath of man worketh not the righteousness of God." [Jam 1:19-20]

"If he takes up rashly a meaning which the author whom he is reading did not intend, he often falls in with other statements which he cannot harmonize with this meaning. And if he admits that these statements are true and certain, then it follows that the meaning he had put upon the former passage cannot be the true one ... Faith will totter if the authority of Scripture begin to shake. And then, if faith totter, love itself will grow cold. For if a man has fallen from faith, he must necessarily also fall from love; for he cannot love what he does not believe to exist." (St. Augustine, On Christian Doctine, Book 1, Ch. 37, 397 AD)

"Since it is our duty fully to enjoy the truth which lives unchangeably, and since the triune God takes counsel in this truth for the things which He has made, the soul must be purified that it may have power to perceive that light, and to rest in it when it is perceived. And let us look upon this purification as a kind of journey or voyage to our native land. For it is not by change of place that we can come nearer to Him who is in every place, but by the cultivation of pure desires and virtuous habits." (St. Augustine, On Christian Doctine, Book 1, Ch. 10, 397 AD)

The St. Augustine Theology Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: What if a spouse a couple is committing adultery against dies?

My first question to you is... why is there a need for you to denounce being called "christian"? A "christian" is one who follows Christ Jesus.

Are you not followers of Christ?

Your way is not my WAY.

I am a christian. I am a christian because I am a follower of Jesus Christ.

I cannot receive from any "spiritual" entity that denounces christianity; although the name of Jesus is invoked in your doctrine.

As a christian, I walk by faith and not by sight and recognize that without faith in God the Father, God the Son, and God the Holy Spirit; it is impossible to please my God. I need NO science to prove that my God is real. HE lives within me. I leave you with the following word of God:

Eph 4:13 Till we all come in the unity of the faith and of the knowledge of the Son of God, unto a perfect man, unto the measure of the stature of the fullness of Christ:
Eph 4:14 That we henceforth be no more children, tossed to and fro, and carried about with every wind of doctrine, by the sleight of men, and cunning craftiness, whereby they lie in wait to deceive;
Eph 4:15 But speaking the truth in love, may grow up into him in all things which is the head, even Christ:
Eph 4:16 From whom the whole body fitly joined together and compacted by that which every joint supplieth, according to the effectual working in the measure of every part, maketh increase of the body unto the edifying of itself in love.

Thanks 4Christ. Your decision to proceed cautiously to avoid false teachers is wise, and I encourage you to continue in that approach in your spiritual growth. Always test the spirit, before you believe something (1Jo 4:1). The Children of The Way are not about converting people to our faith. We praise Christianity above all other world religions because we believe it is extremely close to the bullseye. The bullseye is truth, which is Jesus Christ (Joh 14:6). All of the other world religions don't even come close to the bullseye. Do not ever leave Christianity for another world religion.

You will never see us trying to advertise our faith to the world or speaking out about our faith in the churches. We are very quiet. All speaking that we do is done in private face-to-face with pastors and with those individuals, particularly Christians, who are straying away from the bullseye by violating another person's marriage covenant (present or future). These straying Christians are the souls that are in great need of spiritual help (Mat 9:12-13). We cannot change the way we approached this issue in the past, but we can change the way we approach it in the future and we can have the assurance that we have been forgiven for our past sins through our Lord's sacrifice on the cross. Do not ever let the enemy play a guilt trip on you for past sins that you have confessed to the Lord and to the ones you sinned against.

May the grace of our Lord Jesus Christ be with your spirit.