Return to Website

DECOLORES!!! Cursillista Web Forum Immaculate Heart of Mary, Pray for Us!

none

DECOLORES!!! Cursillista Web Forum Immaculate Heart of Mary, Pray for Us!
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Re: Re: Re: Change: Fewer candidates and "selection" of candidates

Article:
Well, what exactly does Lou mean by his statement? Is there more to it? I mean, how would it be different than the current selection process?

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

Replying to Original Article:

Article:
First off, the fact that they weren't "spiritually prepared is the norm for the center. Ideally the men should be more prepared but I don't think in inhibits the work of the Holy Spirit. Whether that conversion is a minor one or a major one it is usually powerful.

As for the statement that some get in that shouldn't be there. You are absolutely correct on that point. Many come there with problems that need to be resolved before they make cursillo (i.e. mental problems, drinking or drugs, bad marriages (not able to receive the sacraments) and bitterness toward the church. This is a matter of educating the sponsors, something Fr Breaux had started and I believe Fr Herlong is continuing. God Bless

Article:
Warning, this is my opinion only so be gentle!

I feel that some of the folks that attended my Cursillo weren't fully prepaired or in a spiritual state that was conducive to the weekend...but that is my judgement and it is probably wrong. However, one person working the weekend did make the statement that some folks get into Cursillo that shouldn't be there.

As for the size of the group, I didn't see this as a problem...in fact it was encouraging to see so many make the spiritual journey with me!

Lou Robbio says that the typical weekend should have approx 25 candidates, not as many as 70 as PR often has. He also says our "selection of candidates nees to be looked at (I took this as a "cream of the crop" attitude).

Re: Re: Re: Re: Change: Fewer candidates and "selection" of candidates

Article:
Some cursillo centers and some cursillo publications state that the candidates for cursillo should be what they call men of position. They try to get the doctors, the lawyers, the managers, those people in some position of authority, who people supposedly look up to. The (and I use the term loosely) lower class like the mechanics (myself) etc. shouldn't be the ones making cursillo. They should just be Evangelized by the "elite" that make cursillo. That has never been the way at PR and was not the way of the first cursillos in Spain, and it definitely wasn't the way a man named Jesus chose his twelve.

Article:
Well, what exactly does Lou mean by his statement? Is there more to it? I mean, how would it be different than the current selection process?

Article:
First off, the fact that they weren't "spiritually prepared is the norm for the center. Ideally the men should be more prepared but I don't think in inhibits the work of the Holy Spirit. Whether that conversion is a minor one or a major one it is usually powerful.

As for the statement that some get in that shouldn't be there. You are absolutely correct on that point. Many come there with problems that need to be resolved before they make cursillo (i.e. mental problems, drinking or drugs, bad marriages (not able to receive the sacraments) and bitterness toward the church. This is a matter of educating the sponsors, something Fr Breaux had started and I believe Fr Herlong is continuing. God Bless

Article:

I feel that some of the folks that attended my Cursillo weren't fully prepaired or in a spiritual state that was conducive to the weekend...but that is my judgement and it is probably wrong. However, one person working the weekend did make the statement that some folks get into Cursillo that shouldn't be there.

As for the size of the group, I didn't see this as a problem...in fact it was encouraging to see so many make the spiritual journey with me!

Lou Robbio says that the typical weekend should have approx 25 candidates, not as many as 70 as PR often has. He also says our "selection of candidates nees to be looked at (I took this as a "cream of the crop" attitude).

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Change: Fewer candidates and "selection" of candidates

Article:
In talking to some of the old timers and my father-in-law. When Father Fidelis first came to the cursillo he basically recruited professional men to get some type of number going. But just think for a second that one of the members in that class was not a 'professional' as we might catagorize. And that is Deacon Fred LaPoint. He began as a good and simple rice farmer if my memory services me right. I will ask him next time I see him. Besides the fact, I do not believe Fr. Fidelis just kept it to that type of group only. Deacon Fred is proof. Beg your pardon Fred!

Article:
Some cursillo centers and some cursillo publications state that the candidates for cursillo should be what they call men of position. They try to get the doctors, the lawyers, the managers, those people in some position of authority, who people supposedly look up to. The (and I use the term loosely) lower class like the mechanics (myself) etc. shouldn't be the ones making cursillo. They should just be Evangelized by the "elite" that make cursillo. That has never been the way at PR and was not the way of the first cursillos in Spain, and it definitely wasn't the way a man named Jesus chose his twelve.

Article:

Article:

Article:

Re: Re: Re: Re: Change: Fewer candidates and "selection" of candidates

Article:
As to the selection and number of candidates, we are agreeable to let the Holy Spirit be the main person to run the cursillo. We are just mere instruments. Yes, the sponsors can do a better job at this and many do. But Jesus said,"let the children come to me". The selection and numbers are not as many and yet some are a little too small. We really should not choose an exact or appx. number of candidates. As long as I have been around, there has been quite a mixture of souls. And this I am glad for. The

cursillo is not a rehab center and never has been. Even though there has been souls come there with some severe problems, they were dealt with lovingly and with grace. Some sponsors have been contacted in the past to come and pick up their candidate if they are having a real problem. Some of the biggest challenges have been sponsors who know that their candidate has impediments in receiving the sacraments. And they send them anyway. Even they are dealt with in generosity. I happened to talk to another man who made the PR cursillo and lives in another state. National has infiltrated over there heavely to the point that they have trouble finding 15 to 20 candidates. They might have 3 men's cursillo's in a years time.

Article:

Article:

Article:

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Change: Fewer candidates and "selection" of candidates

Article:
Without a doubt, diversity of candidates was a true gift to me, personally, at my weekend. As we have discussed before, I learned things about myself, because I was forced to share in a deeply spiritual way with men I don't normally encounter in my daily life.

It is not uncommon among startup movements to focus recruitment efforts on "community leaders" (physicians, bankers, lawyers, pastors) to foster growth. However, I don't understand how a movement such as Cursillo would benefit from selective membership - based on class or social status, that is. I'd really like to hear more on Lou's position.

I can understand why it is important to discourage those who haven't resolved deep personal issues from comming to the weekend. A person with serious problems or very serious spiritual issues could absorb a disproportionate amount of attention from the professors, spiritual directors, etc.

Article:
As to the selection and number of candidates, we are agreeable to let the Holy Spirit be the main person to run the cursillo. We are just mere instruments. Yes, the sponsors can do a better job at this and many do. But Jesus said,"let the children come to me". The selection and numbers are not as many and yet some are a little too small. We really should not choose an exact or appx. number of candidates. As long as I have been around, there has been quite a mixture of souls. And this I am glad for. The

cursillo is not a rehab center and never has been. Even though there has been souls come there with some severe problems, they were dealt with lovingly and with grace. Some sponsors have been contacted in the past to come and pick up their candidate if they are having a real problem. Some of the biggest challenges have been sponsors who know that their candidate has impediments in receiving the sacraments. And they send them anyway. Even they are dealt with in generosity. I happened to talk to another man who made the PR cursillo and lives in another state. National has infiltrated over there heavely to the point that they have trouble finding 15 to 20 candidates. They might have 3 men's cursillo's in a years time.

Article:

Article:

Article:

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Change: Fewer candidates and "selection" of candidates

Article:
Sorry, the above post was by me! I forgot to fill in my name.

Article:
Without a doubt, diversity of candidates was a true gift to me, personally, at my weekend. As we have discussed before, I learned things about myself, because I was forced to share in a deeply spiritual way with men I don't normally encounter in my daily life.

It is not uncommon among startup movements to focus recruitment efforts on "community leaders" (physicians, bankers, lawyers, pastors) to foster growth. However, I don't understand how a movement such as Cursillo would benefit from selective membership - based on class or social status, that is. I'd really like to hear more on Lou's position.

I can understand why it is important to discourage those who haven't resolved deep personal issues from comming to the weekend. A person with serious problems or very serious spiritual issues could absorb a disproportionate amount of attention from the professors, spiritual directors, etc.

Article:

Article:

Article:

Article: