Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Albon

It never fails. We have a litter of almost two week old puppies and we already have coccidia. There is no mistaking it! I have the liquid Albon oral suspension 5%, but at 2-3 pounds what dosage should I give and how often.

Re: Albon

With 5 % suspension and 2 week old puppies, it might be a good idea to talk to your vet about the correct doseage.

I'm currently treating my adult dogs with a 12.5 % solution, made from the Albon powder and adding desired amount of water. I take 2 Ounces Albon liquid stock and add 3 Ounces Dyne.

First day dosage is 1cc per 2 pounds of body weight
2nd to 7th dosage is 1cc per 4 pounds body weight.

This tastes like bitter apple so I mix in a little "Crystal Light" Brand, Strawberry-Orange_Banana Flavor Powdered drink mix to each dog's doseage. I also add this to about 1/3 cup PLAIN yogurt and put it in a plate. My dogs lick it up. I also give it to them 2 hours before I feed them their kibble in the morning. They do get a little plain yogurt with their Albon which helps coat their stomachs.

Once the coccidia is cleared up, I will use Cocci Guard 10X, a white powder I sprinkle on their kibble as a prevenative measure.

http://www.revivalanimal.com/search.asp?t=ss&ss=albon&image1.x=5&image1.y=4

Thanks just the same but I cannot use your mixture since I have the liquid pre-made 5% Albon. I would like to start them on it now since it is Sunday and eveyone is closed.

Re: Re: Albon

I have an Albon bottle here (5%). If you calculate the directions for 5 pounds, it's .5 ml per pound for the initial dose, then .25 ml per pound thereafter. Usually give for 5 days, once a day; some vets advise skipping a number of days, then give another 5 days of Albon. And make sure you weigh them on an accurate scale (to 1/4 pound). Go buy a 5-pound food scale at Walmart or something if you don't have one. But I agree that you should at least consult with your vet via phone.

Re: Re: Albon

How much Cocci Guard 10x would you sprinkle on a 7 week olds food?

Does mother pass it on to puppies; I am assuming yes .. but is she getting it at shows or where does she pick it up? Can you test her stool prior to breeding or whelping?

I heard albon is very strong and your puppies are young.You want to speak to your vet first and do you bring sample to confirm it is the right diagnosis?

I hope all goes well for the puppers.