Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Skinny Lab Food question?

I have a boy that just can't gain weight no matter what. I have him on Pro Plan chicken and rice.

Is there a food someone could recommend that is high quality that might allow him to gain weight?

Something high calorie or maybe a food to supplement with his Pro Plan??

TY!!!!

Re: Skinny Lab Food question?

Google "Betty Lewis Satin Balls." You'll come up with a recipe for something that will put some weight on him. It's not a regular food, though, so it's not a long-term solution. You might just have to feed him more than what you're feeding. Some dogs just require more food than others. One of my girls eats 50% more than the others.
Is it possible that he is sick? Maybe worms? If he remains skinny no matter what you do, you should consider the possibility of an illness.

Re: Re: Skinny Lab Food question?

Thank you JK...I just went to that site and printed the recipes and I'm going to start feeding tonight!

I just wormed him so it's not that..he's just so active in the field..so this could work.

THANK YOU ...hugs!!

Re: Re: Re: Skinny Lab Food question?

Try Evo dog food.42%protein/22%fat

It may be that the Chicken & Rice just doesn't have enough fat for him. Look into a 'performance' type of food for him: Innova Evo, Canidae All Stages, California Natural. How much do you feed and what is his size/weight?

Raw Instinct

Innova EVO puts on great coat along with weight, but go very slowly switching over...it's very rich!!!

I feed 2 cups Pro Plan chicken & rice 2 times a day..he's about 80 lbs. and 22.5 in height and 20 months old.

Thanks everyone!

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

Replying to:

It may be that the Chicken & Rice just doesn't have enough fat for him. Look into a 'performance' type of food for him: Innova Evo, Canidae All Stages, California Natural. How much do you feed and what is his size/weight?

When I need to put weight on a dog I use Pro Plan Performance, it is 30% protein 20% fat.
The amount you are feeding now doesn't seem like enough to me. My males eat at least 5 cups, some 6 cups of Pro Plan Adult Chicken and Rice.
You might consider having his thyroid checked if you do increase his food and he still isn't gaining.
You also might need to cut back on his exercise.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Skinny Lab Food question?

I would feed a performance food for a while. Does not seem like enough food for a growing boy. They can put it away and play it off.

I just asked this question recently about my lean, slightly ribby lookling boy and had already ruled out anything medical....we tried supplements and a variety of foods to no avail...It was recommended that I feed CARBS in the form of PASTA. I put 2 cups of cooked elbow noodles on top of his food and he gained weight in 5 days and maintains it while looking like a million bucks! I give him the pasta 3x a week now for maintenence. Worked like a charm! I feed Innova.

One food I know of that puts weight on is EXCLUSIVE chicken and rice adult....made by PMI...............I just personally prefer holistic/organic food for my guys, but had used it for a bit as an experiment and everyone got chubby chubby....................I do know a lot of working group breed folks that feed it and just love it.

KN - if your dog is regularly worked, I would opt for supplementing with fat. Fat supplies far more energy than either carbs or proteins and are therefore the quickest way.

Some years ago, I needed to put on some weight on a dog. The vet recommended sticking to the diet he was already on, but adding a good tablespoon of lard to his meal. I know lard does not have good press where humans are concerned but, apparently, dogs handle this differently and don't have to worry about the long-term effects. It worked for us.

PS: don't try to cram weight on too fast - as in humans, it tends to build up in all the wrong places, i.e. the shoulders in the canine!

Dogs can't digest carbs!

Try feeding the puppy if he is over six months old to once a day. feed him is his crate and away from everyone.

Or you can try this throw the food on the floor and let him vaccum it up make sure he is getting his reaquirements. Sometime putting him back into litter feedings help incourage him to eat more, the competition thing.

feed him with someone out side of his crate while he is eating.

He probably isnt getting enought exersize for his age and food desire.
He is being feed to early to his last feeding for what he desires.

He is eatting too soon from exersizing, or to hot or just is bored out of his mind .

Dont kill yourself over this, If you worrying about showing, stop showing him and wait for his appetite to icrease again. Could just be his not growing and not hungry. Did I leave anything out lol

If you cook bacon you could pour the bacon greese over your young boy's kibble. I do this on the weekend when I make bacon.

Re: Re: Skinny Lab Food question--might be an absorption problem

Some dogs have problems in their intestines where they don't absorb nutrients properly. A severe version is called pancreatic insuffiency where the dog is missing some critical enzymes that help with digestion and absorption.

MK

Why can't dogs digest carbs?????

Re: Re: Re: Re: Skinny Lab Food question?

http://www.ohmydogsupplies.com/news/xnews.php?printerfriendly=Y&newsid=66

Here is just one simple article explaining why!

If he is otherwise healthy...I garuntee Innova Adult ( the regular adult...green bag) puts excellent weight, muscle & coat on a dog. Try it & report back.

I feed the BARF diet and sometimes have trouble putting weight on my dogs, although most of the time they are in peak condition. If you are willing to try it, give ground lamb, raw of course. I would rather use this or ground raw chicken than a tablespoon of lard
cathy

I feed 2/3 EVO to 1/3 Pro Plan with either a cooked yam or a potato to my male and he looks great with a fabulous coat. He is hard to put weight on as he is so active. My puppy gets Pro Plan Selects Puppy and she is chubby. I have had to reduce her food.

A

I agree with the poster who said two cups of food twice a day is NOT enough for a young, active male dog. This dog should probably be eating 6 cups a day. Feed him more!
Adding random things to a balanced diet makes for not a balanced diet anymore. You can always try a performance food---most if not all dog food manufacturers have a higher-fat, higher-protein balanced diet in their line. Feed the 4 cups of the performance a day and see if that increases body weight. If not, feed more.
Best of luck with your active boy!

Ditto Robin's comments...
I can feed a little less because of the Evo but I feed as much as it takes and it might change as your dog's activity level changes.
A