Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Open classes Vs. Am. Bred

I have just begun showing and I didn't breed my dog and so I am limited to open or Am. Bred.
(my dog is 23 months old)

Would someone please explain to me when to use Am. Bred and when not to and why.

The same for open dog??

Ciao

Re: Open classes Vs. Am. Bred

It's more common for people to enter open, and therefore more wins come from the open class. There are some advantages to the Am Bred class. First, you get a longer time to regroup before winners. Refill bait, collect your thoughts, refocus your dog, catch your breath! Second, since there are usually fewer entries, you have a better chance of winning the class and being in the winners ring. When you are new, the more ring experience you can get the better. I don't think there is a significant difference in whether you will win from one class or another - like I said, there are more entries in open so statistically there are more winners there.

Re: Re: Open classes Vs. Am. Bred

I think it also has alot to do with how ringwise your dogs are. I started my yellow Ch in the ring at 6 mos and he went from 12-18 right into Open Yellow without missing a beat. My 2 youngest are 21 & 22 mos and both have only been shown once. I will more than likely start them in Am-Bred. If your dog isn't mature and is still puppyish that is also a good reason to do Am-Bred. Just be sure the dog was actually bred in the USA. I know it sounds obvious, but some people who have not bred their dogs, but live in the US have shown in AM-Bred and had to give up points!

Re: Re: Re: Open classes Vs. Am. Bred

THANKS!

Re: Open classes Vs. Am. Bred

I'm showing my 20 month old boy (PWC) in Am-Bred tomorrow in Raleigh (only MY second "real" show with him - but he is an old hand at this).

He is in Am-Bred on Tuesday/Wednesday because we don't like to put him in the same class with his litter-brother who will be showing in Open. And because our co-owner wasn't going to be available for Bred-By.

Choice of which class among those you are eligible for is a matter of strategy and personal preference. Dash and Charlie are very competitive boys - and both are close to finishing - though they are different enough that they have yet to face each other in the Winners Class.

Cheers, K