(Slim Shady x Kashlins Black Pearl)
owner: Tim and Laura Mohr

Winner's Bitch & Best of Winners:
Delby Marstad Black Pearl
Hollyhill Delby's Samuel Adams x Delby's Over The Moon
Owner: Terri Herrigstad

Reserve Winner's Bitch & Best Puppy:
Heartsong's A Cappella
(Pipe Major x Hyspire's Major Attraction)
Owner: Nancy Tanner

Congratulations to all the winners! It was a warm 85 degrees. Another two days of nice weather expected! Good luck tomorrow!

Re: San Joaquin Results friday 3/16/07

The Hyspire dogs are beautiful but it's hard to imagine that there were no other kennels that breed and show dogs worthy of winning!?!

I see a few others but they are for the most part intertwined with Hyspire.

This is NOT sour grapes ..I wasn't even there..they have gorgeous dogs but others do too.

Reads like a very political show to me.

Re: Re: San Joaquin Results friday 3/16/07

You obviously don't know anything about the judges. Guaranteed it wasn't political.

Re: Re: Re: San Joaquin Results friday 3/16/07

I have a right to my opinion and a few friends who were there talked to them this morn and they felt they should have saved their loot.

Re: Re: Re: San Joaquin Results friday 3/16/07

Well who where the judges?

Re: Re: Re: Re: San Joaquin Results friday 3/16/07

I love those Hyspire dogs, but you're right - it's getting to be the same old, same old at every specialty lately. I think the judges know exactly who the dogs are and who has been winning lately, therefore, that's who gets put up again, whether it's subconscious or deliberate.

I often wonder if a no-name had those dogs, would they do as much winning? Again, gorgeous dogs - but there ARE other gorgeous dogs out there that aren't being considered.

Also wonder about whether we're breeding ourselves (as a Lab community) into a corner by everyone breeding into the very same lines?

Re: San Joaquin Results?

It would be fun to see those same dogs with complete newbies. I'm SURE the outcome would not be the same.
No sour grapes, but it does get old.

Re: Re: San Joaquin Results?

Shame, shame on all of you!!

Re: Re: Re: San Joaquin Results?

Why should we be shamed Carla? It really does get old and I agree that same dogs with newbies would be a completely different outcome.

We all spend tons of loot on this sport and travel and take time off...to go to shows that really are not even a competition anymore.

Again...the Hyspire dogs ARE beautiful but over and over again and rarely anyone else wins? C'mon now.

I agree with Carla - shame on you all.

You know what I would like to see - those Hyspire gals take MY bitch - they could make her look alot better than I do - that's for sure.

They are lovely ladies, with lovely dogs, excellent handling skills, keen "labrador" eyes, and a wealth of knowledge. Dedication, dililgence and experience pays off. Congrats to them and their 30+ years program which is producing outstanding labs. And BIG congrats on their most recent wins.

Valerie Jones

Re: Re: Re: Re: San Joaquin Results?

Why do you think we are saying something bad about the dogs and the girls..their skills?

I agree with all they have accomplished.

But OTHER people have lovely dogs and skills too.

A dog show is to select the best dogs. Many of the Hyspire dogs are excellent representatives of the breed. Take a look at what they're doing. Learn don't complain.

and they are the only ones with excellent representatives of the breed?

Go back and read the results. I see some other excellent representatives of the breed.

LOL..Maybe 2...all the others are incestuously related.

When Judy comes to the forum, I really hope that she can ignore any negativity that she might feel afer she reads all of the posts on this topic. She has such a wealth of knowledge and I really hope that this doesn't turn her away from posting and giving advice. Why do those of you who moan, groan and complain always chase the people out who want to be constructive. By the way, congratulations to the Hyspire girls on all of your wins thus far.

Why don't you anonymous posters give your names?

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: San Joaquin Results?

I agree with both sides here. Those of you that are not competing against Hyspire and their very lovely dogs on a regular basis do not know the frustration. Yes, a lot of us get tired of getting beat by them time and time again. They do have some of the top notch dogs and bitches out there but they are not the only ones. If you haven't been to California specialties recently, how can you even speak to this or say "shame shame" on those who do?

And are you kidding that anyone speaking against Hyspire would use their name on here? That would be political suicide.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: San Joaquin Results?

And are you kidding that anyone speaking against Hyspire would use their name on here? That would be political suicide.

Whine to your friends then, not a VERY public forum.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: San Joaquin Results?

i agree.the hyspire dogs are awesome dogs and they deserve to win. i am sure there were many years that they did not win. they stepped up their breeding program and they deserve the wins they get.

Breed something better if you want to win.....................................

I'm sure that when the Hyspire girls were first getting started they returned home from the shows frustrated with empty pocketbooks and crushed spirits. I think it's safe to say they payed there dues and have worked very hard and spent an ungodly amount of money breeding, showing, and traveling to earn the respect and admiration they have to date. To everyone out there who may be feeling slighted...you're day will come. Be patient...most of all be good sportsman and women.

Such rudeness! If you can't beat 'em; breed to their dogs. Then maybe yours will be as nice as theirs. Quitcherb*tchin!

when you have shown in CA then you can tell us to shut up....!!!

This is so freaking political it stinks!!!

AGAIN NO ONE HAS MADE ANY DISPARAGING REMARKS ABOUT THE LADIES OR THEIR DOGS!!!!

BTW..MANY OF US ARE NOT NEWBIES AND HAVE BEAUTIFUL DOGS....JUST AS NICE AS HYSPIRE. WE JUST DON'T HAVE "CONNECTIONS"

i have heard the same comments about being political out here too. carol heidl for one. bottom line is their dogs are beautiful and deserve to win

)Someone( - you said it all in one sentence!

:Breed something better if you want to win.....................................:

And why is it many of us go to Hyspire for stud service? b/c their dogs are the best producing around on top of being winners!

Stop with the sour grapes already - either breed something better (through them is best route) or hush up and move on with your life - It's too short to be poor sports. We have to remember where it's coming from

Judy has too much class to let this get to her

Congratulations to the Hyspire Girls! Sad to see such sore sports rain on their parade. Pretty low actually! Great people, great dogs, impeccable ethics, what more could you ask for?

I do not post much on any forum, but now I am really mad! I am a judge and I DO NOT PUT UP FACES – I PUT UP DOGS!!!!!!!!

I put up the dog that I would want in my own kennel. I do not care who is on the other end of the lead. I also show in California and go up against the Hyspire Ladies at every show. My Striker, who I think is a rather nice dog, came in second almost every time to Slim in the classes. Politics? NO, Slim is a super dog and I was proud to come in second to him. I would have rather won, but losing to a good dog, makes it easier.

The Hyspire Ladies have studied pedigrees, researched pedigrees, planned breedings years in advanced, and trained their dogs meticulously long before they ever set foot in the ring. These Ladies have earned through hard work every ribbon they have every gotten.

Striker got a JAM at SJVLRC to Travis and I am darn proud of that JAM! Have you ever had your hands on Travis? Have you felt his shoulders, his back, his tail set, looked at his feet, his expression, felt his coat or even watched him move?

Don’t let that green headed monster called jealousy cloud your eyes to a good/great dog – no matter who owns him. The Hyspire Ladies have worked very hard for what they have and deserve every win that they get.

Work hard and uncloud your eyes and maybe one day you can be there also!

JanisG

You tell'em , JanG! Sour Grapes!

Bravo Janis...very well said. I'm sure if your lovely Striker took first place over the Hyspire dogs Judy, Vonnie, & Lisa would be the first to congratulate you on your win! That's what good sportsmanship is all about.... BTW....I LOVE STRIKER! He is just beautiful.

There are plenty of breeder judges that put up their friends. And then vice versa.
A specialty can be almost as political as an all breed show.
But guess when you have been breeding that long you have LOTS of friends.
And hey, maybe LOTS of wins????

I have been trying not to post here as I have been very sick for weeks and on pain meds etc....that are probably clouding my thinking so please at least forgive typos.....here goes.
My thoughts are that If you go to a dog show which has quite a few entries from a givin line say Hyspire and the judge happens to like that lines look then doesn't it follow that the judge would put up multiple dogs with that look???? Aparently there were classes that Hyspire did not win so yes there were other dogs deemed better in those classes. What if the judge had not liked the Hyspire look ---perhaps then Hyspire would have had very few wins at that show.

GRRRRRRR said....
BTW..MANY OF US ARE NOT NEWBIES AND HAVE BEAUTIFUL DOGS....JUST AS NICE AS HYSPIRE. WE JUST DON'T HAVE "CONNECTIONS"

I do not think it is the "connections" that Hyspire has that causes them to win it is rater their beautiful dogs that they have put their hearts and souls into for years. I am sure that there were other beautiful dogs at the show and perhps just as nice as some of the Hyspire dogs but if the judge likes the "hyspire type" the decision has to be mad between one look and another ....I do not find it surprising at all that Hyspire was put up.
I would be happy with a placement right behind Hyspire anytime --sure I would rater win but it's not my time yet!
Congratulations to all that did win there...Hyspire or not!
I am afraid that I am rambling and not making much sense -- it's time for more meds now anyway so no more posting from me.

Janice

The Hyspire Ladies are just that "Ladies". They work hard, and have developed an excellent kennel of super Labradors.

The key to Hyspire being that "good" is the fact that all 3 work hard and they make it work.

Just having 3 females get along , is an achievement, but top that off with excellent dogs, hard work, and you have success.

Only when you are this good, do others try to cut you down.

Keep up the good work Ladies, and thank you for adding such wonderful Labradors to this generation.

Well said ---the Hyspire Ladies are just that LADIES. I admire them not only for their dogs but for their ability to kee their cool!
Now I am off to bed with my meds --- my temp is normal this morning...a step in the right direction!

Congratulations to ALL the winners. When I see a Hyspire dog it takes my breath away. 'Nuf said.

Re: Re: San Joaquin Results friday 3/16/07

The Syndicate strikes again!!

It's really no different than when Arnold was in every pedigree under the sun.

It's their time in the sun I suppose. They have worked hard and are on a roll! Judy is certainly a decent, wellspoken person also.

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

Replying to:

The Hyspire dogs are beautiful but it's hard to imagine that there were no other kennels that breed and show dogs worthy of winning!?!

I see a few others but they are for the most part intertwined with Hyspire.

This is NOT sour grapes ..I wasn't even there..they have gorgeous dogs but others do too.

Reads like a very political show to me.

I think it is very graceful for Jan G to post and make such compliments about Travis. If, some didnt know, Travis goes back to Tammy, which is from Jans lines. She is not here to brag about that though, as most do.
But the most important thing I think is that NO ONE gives credit to Debbie Leveque. She is also the breeder of Travis. He was her pick puppy from the litter. And in fact, Travis and his litter was born and raised at Debbies house. Where Travis continued to live until he was almost 1 yr old. Until Debbie got a bit sick, a let the Hyspire girls take him, as they were co breeders of the litter.
So, this post is nothing more than to give credit where credit is due. And to those people know that Debbie Leveque of SureSHot played a very instrumental part in producing Travis. As he is a wonderful Labrador.
And not to also for get Annie, and her wonderful Pipe Major, and Jan, for Tammy Why Not.
All lovely dogs and breeders. Just thought this was something to be recognized.

I had no idea.
In fact why doesnt Hyspire themselves ever mention this?
Where are their original pick pups from the litter?
Do they still have them? Or did something happen to them?
Just curoius. You learn something new every day.
Kudos to Deb Leveque!!

Congratulations to you too Debbie.....if I'm not mistaking Debbie owns the fabulous "Brody"

For the ones on this string that prefer to bash instead of congratulate the winners~the Hyspire girls have been my friends for many years, and you obviously don’t know them personally. They are always there to help if you need help and the first ones to stand by “you” as a friend. So I am going to put in my two cents worth!

If you don’t have the courage to sign your name after your snide posts, don’t critique the judge that has the courage to judge. Were you there? Did you see all of the dogs? There were a lot of nice dogs at the show and also quite a few breeders that have done their homework and improved their breeding programs tremendously.

Instead of using so much time on the forum to bash Hyspire, why aren’t you out training your dogs or looking how to improve what you have now in order to possibly keep up with them in the ring? They have worked very hard at training, breeding and every other aspect of the dogs. Yes, they have done quite a lot of winning and I personally look at it as a challenge. I, like many others are not in this hobby just to win at dog shows. If we are able to do it now and then, especially at specialties where the competition is even harder, then good for us! But specialties are also for learning and studying your breed. Bad sportsmanship isn’t one of them!

Congratulations to all of the winners and the judges and exhibitors! We need our specialties and good breeders to improve our breed

After thinking more about this it's not the ladies or the dogs...it's the judges who prefer to look at faces rather rather than the dogs..and Jan you are too close to the ladies and their dogs to comment on this without bias..IMHO

Try reading Mary Roslin Williams book "Reaching for the Stars".

Top breeders are top breeders because of their hard work.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: San Joaquin Results?

would it not follow that if a judge likes a certain look that he/she would be consistant in putting up that look if the quality is there? Thus if the judge likes one Hyspire dog at a particular show more than one is put up? Makes sense to me even in my "stuper" today. Liking a partiular look is in no way political!
Congratulations to all who won and how nice for the Hyspire dogs to do so well.

Also..isnt' Travis name Sureshot Hyspire Impressive? How doe that hide the fact that Sureshot was in on that breeding? If I sold Hyspire a puppy and they named it Capewood Hyspire puppy I would be delighted to have my name linked with theirs and even more delighted if the dog was winning!!

thats funny.
I have not always heard you talk so nice about Hypire Trudy.
Or is that only in private?

yes, Debbie and Laura have Brody.

As someone not from the other coast who had extra time and a wild hair to take a trip out to golden gate this year... There are very nice dogs on the west coast. BUT if I had two crates to take back two dogs for our kennel and free choice of anyone, the dogs I would select are always at the top of the specialty wins, including this one. It's not the judges looking at faces. Those dogs are gorgeous and have the extra something that make you unable to take your eyes off them.

We too have still competition where we live with the Windfall & Tabatha dogs. Do I get tired of coming home without BOB or Best in Sweeps... sometimes.... But I never tire of admiring their dogs in the ring, and the quality that they are producing for our breed. Instead of being sour (and on a PUBLIC forum- SHAME on YOU!)you should spend that time and energy pouring over the pedigrees to see what makes them so special AND have the ability to produce that special dog again and again, not just a dog that was a stroke of good luck!

.........it's the judges who prefer to look at faces rather rather than the dogs..and Jan you are too close to the ladies and their dogs to comment on this without bias..IMHO......

Grrrrrrrr you are correct that I am close to the Ladies and I am biased. I consider them friends and enjoy spending time with them. With almost 40 years in the breed, I have lots of people that I consider friends and all of them know that unless they bring me a dog that I love, they are going to walk.

Today at the show, the Hyspire dogs won again. The dogs won, not the ladies as the judge was from Columbia and did not know them.

There are no shortcuts to success. The average person spends about 5 years in the game. Judy has more than 36 years in labs. Vonnie and Lisa have around 25 years. They are always the first to congratulate winners and help those that ask for it.

JanisG

I for one cannot believe what I am reading here. The "ladies" of Hyspire are just that. They encourage newbies, provide advice when asked, and are down to earth people. Enough of the sour grapes.
There is an obedience saying that says train don't complain. The same applies here, but change the words to Look and listen and learn. Don't complain. I am not a judge, I am partnered with a judge but we talk, listen and learn from the Ladies. They have more knowledge and have been through more hard knocks than I will ever have. They give freely of themselves when asked. They go the distance.
I remember thinking when I first started out that here come those women again to win it all and leave nothing for anybody else. Well, I have watched, asked, and listened to those Ladies for years now, and have gotten more free advice and wonderful memories because they cared enough to take the time and talk to somebody who was very novice and very green.
My hat is off to the ladies for a wonderful show, wonderful site and wonderful judges.
From am exhibitors standpoint, I most truly enjoyed watching and showing under our judge from Colombia yesterday and today. If you think this was a political show and they "bought the judge" you better look again. I was the person in the BBE Dog ring yesterday very proudly showing off my 7 month old boy against the big boys.
No politics there. I am always honored to be in the ranks WITH the Hyspire ladies.
Do unto others as you would want them to do unto you.

Debbie

It must just be me then but when I win they never have congratulated me nor have you Jan, Debbie, Trudy...just an observation.

It goes both ways!

For those whom I did not congratulate in person or did not see again later in the day or evening, my apologies for neglecting congratulations. I did not mark my catalog as I was watching the show and truly enjoyed the judging. It was a pleasure to watch the different styles of judging and how each judge handled their own ring.
I do not always remember who had placements and who did not.
Congratulations to all and again, forgive my errors

Debbie

If this is true, then I apologize. I try very hard to congratulate people and encourage the newcomers.

My bad and I am sorry.

JanisG

While I am not going to waste a lot of my time defending my integrity nor explaining why I (and two other Sweeps judges in the last four CA Sweeps) put up these particular dogs for Best in Sweeps and Best Opposite, I will say thank you for taking away a little bit of the joy and pleasure I had in judging my first Sweeps. It is disappointing to believe that some people think that I do not have enough knowledge, courage, or integrity to put up dogs I deemed the best out there on that given day.

Tori,

Please don't let the sour grapes of a few turn you off judging. You did a wonderful job and the dogs that you picked were consistant. So your eye likes the looks of the Hyspire dogs, there is no crime in that. They are wonderful looking dogs, you also found other dogs that had that same look.

I loved watching you judge and would go under you again and I didn't even place.

Oh, my... Tori. Please don't take to heart what a couple of acrimonious whiners had to say about a show they didn't even attend. It's so easy for them to sit behind their computer screens and spew hurtful words that have no relevance or truth whatsoever. They aren't worth a moment of your time or attention.

You were a joy to show under; professional and kind, graceful, thorough, and most of all, excellent in terms of the Labradors you placed.

I hope that you are not totally disheartened. Hold your head high and be proud of yourself for the outstanding job you did on your first time out there.
I think there are many who would join me in saying, "I am proud of you."

I wasn't going to post anymore after those nasty notes, but when I saw your message tonight, I just couldn't bear not to speak up just once more. How dare they make you feel bad.

I hope that I will be showing my dogs to you again someday.

Now relax and enjoy that baby that is coming soon. We're all rootin' for you!

When Michelle Kwan was winning everything in figure skating, did people complain that it was getting old and she was winning just because of her connections? No - she is an extremely talented skater and worked very hard to get there. What about U2 and the Grammys? In less subjective events, what about Tiger Woods? Wayne Gretzky? The Pittsburgh Steelers in the 70s? Mark Spitz at the 1972 Olympics? Lance Armstrong in the Tour de France? The USA winning the America's cup for over 100 years in a row?

Fact is, there are always times when a single person or team is the top of a sport. They work hard, have lots of talent and a bit of luck, and they have a winning streak.

And the other fact is, "small" people get jealous, and since they can't win in the arena of competition, they try to bring themselves up by attempting to knock down the winners. And they just don't realize that their jealousy and resentment is not only getting in the way of their own success, it is knocking them down more pegs in everyone else's eyes.

We all want to win, or we wouldn't be in this game. But when we lose, we should lose with class and grace. Those of us who are able to do that gain respect, which in the long run is more important than winning. Those of us who don't just end up sinking into a small cesspool of bitterness, ostracized by the rest of the community.

I have been following this thread and have to say that I am disgusted at the negative posts by certain "un-named" persons.

I had a horse years ago that was totally undefeated. He won every class he went in - hands down. Even when I showed him against all the professional trainers. We bred him, raised him and trained him.

The judges' took a liking to my little bay gelding and it was wonderful for my family.

Not once did I ever hear anything negative about my wins. Of course forums didn't exist back then.

This is not to say that horse shows aren't political at times, but these negative posts regarding Hysprire's wins are just childish.

I don't know the women of Hyspire but it sounds to me like they are wonderful ladies.

Ahhhhhh Tori, don't let these nasty ladies rain on your parade! They are obviously not happy people. You did a fabulous job and I look forward to showing to you in the future!!!

hmmmmmmmmmmmm - it is intersting that you come up with accusations against people, yet you can't say who you are. That way, no one can defend themselves either, right?

I have had the Hyspire girls make a point to congratulate me as soon as I have won, so speak for yourself. Do you congratulate anyone? I don't believe you are a newbie. I think you are just sour grapes.

I don't know these ladies but I was told a long time ago...if you can't say anything nice...don't say anything at all.

Whether your complaints are true or not is beside the point. If you can't stand the heat get out of the kitchen. There will always be a better dog than mine somewhere and as a show person I have to accept that. If you think a judge is political, then don't show under them. However, since these dogs are winning steadily, then they must have something and the best thing to do is learn what they DO have so you can compete with them and their dogs. Frankly, I would talk to these ladies. Sitting and being frustrated doesn't do anyone any good and is counter productive.

IMO
A

San Joaquin Results friday 3/16/07

Regular classes:
Judge: Claire White Peterson
Best of Breed:
CH Sureshot Hyspire Impressive
owners: Judy Heim, Lisa DaRoss, Vonnie Russell

Best of Opposite Sex:
Ch Ghostone's Respect
owners: Judy and Scott Chambers

Winner's Dog:
Hyspire Shahli Hotter Than Blazes
(Travis x Hotsie)
owners: Judy Heim, Lisa DaRoss, Vonnie Russell

Reserve winner's dog:
Kashlins Flying Dutchman
(Slim Shady x Kashlins Black Pearl)
owner: Tim and Laura Mohr

Winner's Bitch & Best of Winners:
Delby Marstad Black Pearl
Hollyhill Delby's Samuel Adams x Delby's Over The Moon
Owner: Terri Herrigstad

Reserve Winner's Bitch & Best Puppy:
Heartsong's A Cappella
(Pipe Major x Hyspire's Major Attraction)
Owner: Nancy Tanner

The members of SJVLRC put on a wonderful specialty. I thank them for inviting me out to judge. The weather was lovely and warm and I met a bunch of Labrador folks that I had never met. In fact, I knew very few exhibitors from the West coast and those I do know, I don't know well.The dogs that won under me, did so because they were in my opinion on that day, deserving of that merit.

There were an exceptionally good quality of dogs exhibited during the 3 days of showing. I was struck by the good sportmanship that most of the exhibitors showed to each other. It was truely a nice experience.

Claire

Jan, you bend over backwards to congratulate and encourage people. Don’t let some sad sack accuse you otherwise.

"Grrrr" (who goes by other anonymous names) is nothing more than a bitter / lonely person who has to come on a web forum to find "friends" in unsuspecting newcomers, brag about her dogs, send photos of her dogs and occasional wins, and post sweet answers with a real name, then turn around and in an anonymous manner hack and slash at people. Trust me, the true "Grrrrr" is the one that goes by that name -- The false personality is the one that uses their real name. This is a person who should have our pity, and nothing more.

I lost to Hyspire (and others) last weekend. Life goes on! Another day, another show. I've had my day in the sun, and I will have it again.

When I enter as many quality dogs in a Specialty as they do, and get my rear off this chair long enough to spend the time putting the same polish and training on my dogs, I'll probably clean up with more wins too.

I could wax poetic, but the gals at Hyspire don't need my accolades and defense. They have always been fast at congratulating me on my wins. They earned those wins, and our congratulations.

It was a fun show with lots of laughs. I’ll be back next year!

To "Grrrr", I offer this:
The jealous are possessed by a mad devil and a dull spirit at the same time [Johann Kaspar Lavater]

Dian Welle <---- getting off this chair, and going out to work a dog or two