Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
New Home Again Program

I just called Home Again. They stated that any dog already entered under the one time fee will be left that way. Any new dog entered in the program will require a annual fee. Does any one know if the AKC new program has a yearly fee?

Re: New Home Again Program

De, I use home again and have not chipped my new pup yet... where did you get the info that they were going to a yearly fee in addition to the sign up reg

I think I did read on a previous thread that the AKC program was for a yearly fee as well.

Does Avid have a yearly fee too?

Christina, My vet showed me the new information form Home Again. I called the number I found on HA site to see if I would now have to pay a yearly fee on the dogs I have already chipped. They said the yearly fee would only apply to newly chipped dogs.

From the AKC CAR Website:
AKC Companion Animal Recovery (CAR) accepts all pets that are identified with a microchip, tattoo, or the new AKC CAR collar tag. You can enroll your pet today by simply choosing to enroll online, or call 1-800-252-7894 to request an enrollment form.

Lifetime Enrollment (microchip or tattoo) = $12.50

From FAQ:
Do I have to renew my pet's enrollment?
No, the one-time enrollment fee covers the life of your pet.

We offer free updates to your data (i.e. phone numbers, address, etc.).

I called AKC about their new chip and was told that the homeagain scanners that were over 5 years old would not read the new chip they are coming out with. You have to buy 40 chips and a new scanners for $700. I ask if they were going to supply shelters and vets with the new scanner and she did not know the answer. Sounds like a new Petsmart fiasco to me, chipped dogs being euthanized because the scanners will not read them. Too bad homeagain and AKC split.

I am having homeagain issues too. First their website was a big friggin cluster and everyone who has an account with them online, you better check it and make sure all of your dogs have been connected back to you. I had to re-add all of my rescue dogs...and then had to have help finding my own dog who was no longer tagged to any email account I had so I got that corrected.

I talked to my HA rep and he said that you didn't need to renew after the first year if you didn't want to...and that it would still be a activated for life. I am skeptical about this of course so I am waiting to hear more.

This irks the heck out of me.

Re: Re: New Home Again Program

We use Home Again, and register with Home Again on line, not AKC/CAR. I have called our local shelters in the past to verify what number they call if they scan an animal that has a chip and it was the Home Again number NOT AKC/CAR. Since the AKC/CAR Home Again split I don't know if there is any information sharing btw. the two. Checking our on line acct., all is in order there with our guys. Currently I am satified with Home Again, though have not been notified of a yearly fee? I did register two pups yesterday and everything was as normal, no yearly fee, but a one time fee as usual. I will call our rep this week and see what is up and if they are going to be charge a yearly fee in the future.

I had a puppy chipped with a HomeAgain Chip at my vet's office last week and it did not mention a yearly fee???

Re: Re: New Home Again Program

The home again rep visited our vet clinic a week or so ago to tell us about the "new" program. She stated that all of the old chips that have the old paperwork and fee in them will still be honored until they are used up. The new program and yearly fee will take effect soon. The reason for the yearly fee includes; HA having access via computer to shelters and rescue groups and also having access to pertinent vet records on your pet (for vets who choose to participate)and an emergency vet phone line available. It is also supposed to give a broad spectrum, quicker way to locate your pet if it is lost. I asked her what happens if one chose not to pay the yearly fee and she stated that they would still be in the system, but would not be priveledged to the extra services that the fee covers.

Re: Re: Re: New Home Again Program

This is what I got when I tried to enroll online. They ARE charging an annual. The AKC Registration form states $12.00 for a lifetime enrollment in recovery service. What a mess.

HomeAgain Annual Subscription
Microchip#: 4******** 1 $ 10.00 $ 14.99 $ 24.99
Subscription Period:
From 03/18/2007 to 03/18/2008
Subtotal: $ 24.99

Grand Total: $ 24.99

Please fill in (or confirm) the following information we that we will need to reunite you with your pet.

All fields marked with an asterisk (*) are required.

In response to the question about the sharing of info, AKC/CAR and Home Again no longer share info with each other. But, if you registered your dogs' chip # with their service when they were together, you can still update with BOTH services. But, you need to contact both of them. When we moved, I gave the new info to both services, and now both services have my dogs' #s and my new contact info on file. Of course, the collar tag is still just the Home Again yellow tag.