Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Thank GOD they have thick skin - otherwise......

I was thinking of something very different when I read all the comments about the Hyspire girls at the SJLRC specialty.
Years ago when I was looking for a stud dog I had the terribly hard time of tracking down his sire's breeders. WHY do you ask does this possibly pertain to the Hyspire girls?? Well the reason was their dog had done a great deal of winning, had even gone Winners Dog at Potomac one year and they got slammed just like the Hyspire girls do for winning with dogs that they have spent years of their time planning and breeding to create that exceptional dog .
Unfortunately for so many of us they decided that they just couldn't be bothered with small minded, mean spirited, completely un-sportmanslike people(my words not theirs but the same idea) who could do nothing but create rumours, inuendo,and downright lies. They were just glad that their dog didn't really understand English well enough to know what people were saying about him. This has happened to other very well known dogs over the years. Remember Reciever??? CH Cherry Oaks Dillon Sundance, the sire of Marshland Shimmer- who is the dam of Strutts (and the sire of my very own Cross Bay Autumn Memories) were also railroaded, to the point that if you didn't breed to him while he was alive they certainly aren't going to let you breed to him now that he's gone!

What would happen to everyones breeding programs if all of these wonderful dogs were taken away from us to use to improve our lines just because of the terrible things that were said about a breeder or their dogs were enough for them to throw in the towel and say To H*77 with it!!!!!?????

Everytime someone pulls a strongly prepotent sire( or even dam) from public use we ALL suffer!!!!

So think about what you are saying the next time you think that a particlular kennel or dog needs to be "brought down a peg" that it just might be that last ime you or anyone else gets to see or use that dog or be fortunate enough to have a puppy from that special bitch!
Think of all that could be lost if they didn't have really thick skin to let it all bounce off.....
I will get off my soapbox now.

Re: Thank GOD they have thick skin - otherwise......

Amen.

oh behalf of all stud dog owners, thank you. Well said.

I bet I know why they are not winning. That sour, jealous attitude goes right down the leash to the dog. Poor dog - it would be so much happier if the owner was a happier more positive individual.

Thanks for saying something that needed to be said and hopefully heeded.

You make an excellent point. Another thing I will add is that often people look at these famous stud dogs or even bitches and think of them as just that- a famous dog or even a celebrity. They are put down and even lied about. What people forget is these are somebody's sweet lovable pet. They are not just some show dog- they are loved as we all love our dogs, show dogs or not. They are somebody's baby, and it is very hurtful. It is no wonder some folks just get out of the whole dog show world when this happens to them. As you said, everytime we lose a potential great dog to our breeding program we all suffer.

Very well said! I have the best Dillon kids here and thank God I used him when I did, his kids I have are great producers also!
Aloha,
Jackie

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

Replying to:

I was thinking of something very different when I read all the comments about the Hyspire girls at the SJLRC specialty.
Years ago when I was looking for a stud dog I had the terribly hard time of tracking down his sire's breeders. WHY do you ask does this possibly pertain to the Hyspire girls?? Well the reason was their dog had done a great deal of winning, had even gone Winners Dog at Potomac one year and they got slammed just like the Hyspire girls do for winning with dogs that they have spent years of their time planning and breeding to create that exceptional dog .
Unfortunately for so many of us they decided that they just couldn't be bothered with small minded, mean spirited, completely un-sportmanslike people(my words not theirs but the same idea) who could do nothing but create rumours, inuendo,and downright lies. They were just glad that their dog didn't really understand English well enough to know what people were saying about him. This has happened to other very well known dogs over the years. Remember Reciever??? CH Cherry Oaks Dillon Sundance, the sire of Marshland Shimmer- who is the dam of Strutts (and the sire of my very own Cross Bay Autumn Memories) were also railroaded, to the point that if you didn't breed to him while he was alive they certainly aren't going to let you breed to him now that he's gone!

What would happen to everyones breeding programs if all of these wonderful dogs were taken away from us to use to improve our lines just because of the terrible things that were said about a breeder or their dogs were enough for them to throw in the towel and say To H*77 with it!!!!!?????

Everytime someone pulls a strongly prepotent sire( or even dam) from public use we ALL suffer!!!!

So think about what you are saying the next time you think that a particlular kennel or dog needs to be "brought down a peg" that it just might be that last ime you or anyone else gets to see or use that dog or be fortunate enough to have a puppy from that special bitch!
Think of all that could be lost if they didn't have really thick skin to let it all bounce off.....
I will get off my soapbox now.

Re: Re: Thank GOD they have thick skin - otherwise......

Hahahahahaha! GOOD POINT!