Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Selection of the 2007 SJVLRC judges...

To those who didn't attend SJVLRC last year or don't remember, the SJVLRC judges for this year were selected, by a democratic vote, at last year's 2006 show barbecue. At least 100+ of us attended that barbecue and voted. The judge's names were nominated by ALL and then immediately voted on, by written ballot. This was specially and publicly done, to avoid any hint of "politics" or "connections"!

As far as "breeder judges, putting up their friends" and "judges who prefer to look at faces":

This year's judge, from Columbia, was nominated by last year's Columbian judge, Alfredo Vallejo. Her name was unknown to all of us, but Alfredo recommended her highly! She has never judged in this country, has never met any of us and didn't even speak English!

IMHO, we should all be working AS A TEAM, to better this wonderful breed, instead of worrying about who wins!

CONGRATULATIONS TO ALL!!

Re: Selection of the 2007 SJVLRC judges...

Yes...and did you note he didn't put up all the "H" dogs?

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

Replying to:

To those who didn't attend SJVLRC last year or don't remember, the SJVLRC judges for this year were selected, by a democratic vote, at last year's 2006 show barbecue. At least 100+ of us attended that barbecue and voted. The judge's names were nominated by ALL and then immediately voted on, by written ballot. This was specially and publicly done, to avoid any hint of "politics" or "connections"!

As far as "breeder judges, putting up their friends" and "judges who prefer to look at faces":

This year's judge, from Columbia, was nominated by last year's Columbian judge, Alfredo Vallejo. Her name was unknown to all of us, but Alfredo recommended her highly! She has never judged in this country, has never met any of us and didn't even speak English!

IMHO, we should all be working AS A TEAM, to better this wonderful breed, instead of worrying about who wins!

CONGRATULATIONS TO ALL!!

Huh???? Were you even there???

RE: "Yes...and did you note "he"...."

Huh?? Did you attend SJVLRC???

The Columbian judge was a "SHE"!!!!!

... but my point was, that the choice of ALL the judges was by a democratic vote!

Re: Selection of the 2007 SJVLRC judges...

I thought the judge from Colombia did a fantastic job. It was clear what she was looking for in all of her classes and her winner's classes were very consistant. She was very pleasant to show to although there was a clear language barrier. But she always came through with a smile on her face. She did ask if she could take the Chocolate dog I handled back to Colombia with her though! LOL

The Hyspire dogs are spectactular. They dominant nearly ever class not only with type, but also numbers, but the dogs are always showy, in good coat and good condition. They are very consistant in their type and any judge looking to put up consistant quality, would have a hard time over looking these dogs! But those breeders who are looking to improve the quality of their dogs need to look at what's winning and why they are winning! It's just not who they are, but the quality of their dogs. Or should I say, it's the quality of their dogs that make them who they are!

Keep up the good work ladies!

Dianne

Re: Re: Selection of the 2007 SJVLRC judges...

Actually, she did put up some of the "H" dogs, however some where handled by people other than the three Hyspire girls. For instance, your Open Yellow bitch winner is a beautiful Hyspire bitch co-owned and shown by Sandy Ramsey, which only needs 2 points to finish.

And for ONE time and ONE time only I will toot my horn.

The WB and BOW on Sunday was also co-bred and is co-owned by Hyspire, however she is shown ONLY by me. Yes, all of my dogs are Hyspire dogs. I am blessed to have connections but I also have an extremely good and picky eye when I am choosing the dogs that are going to be part of my breeding stock. For all of you that don't know me, first off nobody shows my dogs except me and I have finished all of my own dogs. I do know a lot of people at the California shows (because I was raised at a dog show) but there is an entire country and world out there that has no clue who I am. There may be a small amount of judges you can try and accuse of putting up my dogs as political, but there is no way in hell that you can tell me that the judges from other countries or other states have a clue who I am. It makes me sick that these people (especially those not at the show) assume that just because a dog that won has the Hyspire Kennel or Hyspire owns it, it was shown by the Hyspire girls and only won because of who they are. It is insulting to the rest of us out there that do show and win with our own dogs, and frankly I am tired of feeling guilty and I am tired of apologizing for the times I do win just because I am affiliated with Hyspire and own dogs with them. I have lost a lot and sacrificed a lot to have the show dogs that I have.

I don't know who it was, but it was either "Grrrr" or "Hmmm" or one of those people. I wonder if I know either one of you? Well whoever it was, you raised a question re: whether or not if some other unknown handler was showing one of the Hyspire dogs if they would still win. The answer is yes. I show their dogs all the time. Once again, I am showing to judges that have no clue who I am. Guess what, it doesn't make a damn bit of difference if Vonnie is on the end of that lead or myself. The dog of the day wins. By the way, I kick the Hypsire girls butts all the time. Sometimes with their own dogs, but the facts remain if winning has anything to do with the handlers it is only in the sense of the handlers knowing how to hide faults and show off attributes.

What is sad to me, is that I am part of a new generation of Labrador breeders. I have met a bunch of new breeders at the last couple of shows, that I am excited about having around as my friends for my generation of breeding. But, I have to say if this is what you guys are going to teach them and this kind of gossip and negative attitude is what is in store for the future of breeding and showing what is the point? It sure doesn't make the shows much fun when you wondering what crap is going to be said this week. On top of that, one of the new generation breeders we are lucky to have, did her first judging assignments and you guys utterly and completely ruined that first time experience for her. All of you that had negative comments should be absolutely ashamed and should have the courtesy to apologize. She will never be able to get that back. I will have to tell you, from watching the attitude of some of the people on this board if I was an up and coming judge I would think twice about wanting to judge any show in California for fear of the rath of this board.

Well said Julie, Marlynn and Dianne

The reason that the "H" dogs do so well is that they are gorgeous, gorgeous, *very* correct dogs with a TON of breed type! What does that have to do with "politics?"

That should have *everything* to do with winning classes at a specialty show, regardless of who is judging the classes, and they *should* be incredibly proud of their breeding program. It is one that we could all learn from, and it has taken a lot of years, a lot of dogs, a lot of research, and a lot of blood, sweat and tears to get there.

I love going to shows when the "H" dogs (and their breeders) are there...those dogs absolutely take my breath away and it is an absolute pleasure to watch them win. They deserve every win they get- just like the rest of the breeders whose dogs win.

Re: Re: Re: Selection of the 2007 SJVLRC judges...

Well written Marlynne!!

Congratulations on winning with your beautiful girl Moriah! She has a head to melt your heart and is of such a gorgeous type!

Jennifer

Re: Re: Re: Re: Selection of the 2007 SJVLRC judges...

I too agree with all of you ladies. The kind hearted judge was thorough and very consistent, picking lovely, typy dogs for her placements. Bravo to the winners.

Lucy

BRAVO Marlynne! I must add that your bitch was GORGEOUS as were all the winners.

I've read some of the posts and the negativity from Grrrrrr and Hmmmmm. All I can say is that is very sad that anyone would try to take the pleasure away from the winners and the fabulous folks who put on this outstanding dog show.

They HySpire ladies are class acts and beautiful friendly people. I enjoy watching their dogs and spending time chatting whenever we're at the same Specialty. They all about knocked me over with congratulatory remarks and hugs when my boy was WD on Saturday as did MANY other breeders and friends and I thank them all! It means a lot.

So who ever has an issue with these ladies and their lovely dogs winning should please keep their comments to themselves. If you have nothing nice to say just don't say it at all. I personally don't want to hear it.

this letter is written as if you are just a friend of the Hyspire girls, as you put it.

Are you not Judys daughter?
Of course you would have their "stuff" and breed to their studs, etc.

I was just a bit confused by what I was reading as your referring to the "hyspire girls", when Judy is your mom?
Thought it was odd is all.

Yes I am Judy's daughter, however I am not Hyspire. I have my own kennel name and I am doing my own breeding. However, the point that I was making is that very few people know who I am or that I am Judy's daughter and certainly hardly anyone would know me outside of the West Coast. Even though I have been raised around the shows and have been showing forever in California, I have waited to actually breed a litter, and only did so in the last couple of years. It is not something I take lightly and truthfully I was scared to death. Breeding is a huge responsibility!! My point to the rambling is that because I was never actually breeding I was never corresponding with any other breeders. I do know a lot of California and Pacific Northwest breeders just from growing up at the shows, but I am working from 5 am to 9 pm every night and to busy to spend my time corresponding with any other breeders, except for my Mother, Vonnie, Lisa, and Sandy Ramsey. Never meaning to be rude, I am just too busy with things outside of the dog world.

The question at hand was never about whether I am lucky to have a great breeder for a mother or whether I have Hyspire dogs. The question was politics and whether or not the Hyspire dogs win because the judges know it is Hyspire. If that was the case I can gaurantee that I would always be walking in the ring because these foreign judges or even most of the judges outside of California and Oregon DO NOT KNOW WHO I AM!!

One other thought on that subject: In a game of numbers and odds, if Hyspire is entering 14 dogs at 1 show with most of them being in 2 classes and spending over $1000.00 in entries per specialty don't you think that increases their odds a little bit to possibly win a thing or two.

Oh, and by the way. The reason I didn't state in my last post that I was Judy's daughter was...well... because half the people on this board are from some other state and don't have a clue who I am. They wouldn't know me even if I showed up on their doorstep with "Travis" in one hand and a big flashing sign saying "HYSPIRE" "HYSPIRE" in the other. I guess I didn't think I needed to explain that I was Judy's daughter because it is not relevant to how I do in the show ring, it is only relevent to the morals and standards I hold as a person and as a future breeder.

Thank you Jen. You know how much she means to me, with all I have gone through with Hotsy. She is sleeping on my bed as we speak. Spoiled rotten little thing that she is.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Selection of the 2007 SJVLRC judges...

Thanks for clearing that up. As you wrote, it was almost as if you are a competitor of Hyspire.
Which, I am sure that is not how you look at your mom.

I am sure you want your own identity. But I am sure your mom gave you a great start with ALL her years of breeding and showing.
But you do have their lines etc.
So, if you are "beating" them, I would have to say it is with their own stock???

Wow, working all those hours who could find the time to breed. Lots of times we wont even sell to puppy homes where both people work. Someone MUST be home with the pup.
So, I am sure you have your hands full.

Thank you for clearing that all up.
As I thought I was missing something.

"They wouldn't know me even if I showed up on their doorstep with "Travis" in one hand and a big flashing sign saying "HYSPIRE" "HYSPIRE" in the other."

This cracked me up. I've never met Travis ... and not only would I not know who you were, I wouldn't know him, either!!

The sign *would* help .

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Selection of the 2007 SJVLRC judges...

You are very creative with your words. Do you know me? Did I wrong you in some way, that I am unaware of? If I did, I must apologize for whatever I may have done that might have caused you to want to attack me personally. I would never purposely treat someone badly, and since you don't post your name I do not know who I am speaking with or why you feel the need to want to insinuate some pretty rotten things re: how I live or how my dogs may live. I know that you don't know me personally therefore you haven't a clue if I work from home or if I go to an office or for that matter what I do for a living.

I understand if you are angry and want to try and throw stones, however your words are basis for false rumors. If you want to say things about me then you might want to take time to know me first and at least say the truth. Don't make speculations about something you know nothing about.

Thank you Lucy. I didn't want you to think the last post was to you.

Just to clarify it was directed to Confused?

I am done posting on this board....way too much drama.

Have a good one!!