Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Re: How can we identify someone by the IP address?

I am fairly computer challenged so could someone please post and tell of us how we can ID someone from their IP address but please, use laymen's terms. Do we have to join an IP detection site or is this something anyone can do easily and for free?
Thanks for the explanation and help!!

Re: Re: How can we identify someone by the IP address?

Ok so the IP addy's are up. what can we do with the numbers? How can we use them to benefit anyone?

Re: Re: Re: How can we identify someone by the IP address?

I traced the IP's I know who these 3 people are.

email if you want to know.

Why not put a link here so we all can trace IPs? I tried to but when Googled it says it is impossible...that you have to contact the ISP and they would never release the names w/o a police order.

it's not a link dear it's a very sophisticated program where I work.

You are right there is no way to trace an IP without a court order

The negative posters are not dumb ..ignorant but not dumb.

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

Replying to:

Why not put a link here so we all can trace IPs? I tried to but when Googled it says it is impossible...that you have to contact the ISP and they would never release the names w/o a police order.

Re: Re: Re: Re: How can we identify someone by the IP address?

Dear dbsajoelsax,
Why is it I don't trust you? Somehow I just don't feel like emailing you for these juicy tidbits and giving you my email address. I don't think I'll send you any passwords either.

ok "dear"...so you have this program and a court order...lol

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: How can we identify someone by the IP address?

I think you are right about that. I bit and have gotten no reply with the secret info. Stupid me!

He/she can get your ip address from your e-mail to him.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: How can we identify someone by the IP address?

If you are concerned about any mail coming from a Yahoo email address - From the Yahoo site:

How do I report abuse to Yahoo!?

To report abuse on the Yahoo! network, please visit http://abuse.yahoo.com.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: How can we identify someone by the IP address?

There are several things you can do to try and figure out where IPs are originating from etc. You can find the ISP and the location, followed by reasoning to figure out who's in that general area, etc.

It the Geek had access to the actual user, that person would be doing so inviolation of privacy/security policies. Gee, the only folks who could probably do that would be someone working for gov't, law enforcement, etc.

We know the time in which those posts in a previous thread were made. We also know the IP address. You can bet this is not the only site that captures IPs (other forums etc.), so if you're creative you can do some tracking and possibly find the person in that manner when they post using another name elsewhere.

Play detective.

There are products on the market to use, but a good network administrator can find out enough info to go on a fact finding mission too.

My husband the networking executive, informs me that the vast majority of ISPs (aol, optonline, sbcglobal etc.) use dynamic IP addresses. Hardly anyone is using a fixed IP anymore. Which means two things:

1/ the IP address of those delightful folk yesterday will have changed by now and

2/the posted IP addresses are belong to the *ISP*, not to the user. To get the user-name, you'd need a court order to get the ISP to reveal to whom that address was assigned at the time the post was made.

Take from that what you will...

=====
1/ the IP address of those delightful folk yesterday will have changed by now and
========

The above is true if the lease length of the IP is set to 24hrs. Each day you boot your PC, your PC will try to obtain the same IP address it had previously unless someone is already using it, thus you will receive a new IP. I often use the same IP for weeks at a time even though the lease length is set to 3 days.

Below is an useful URL with a lot of different search possibilities, among them IPWHOIS look up. You will not have an actual name though, but you can see from which state or country the IP-number is sent.

http://www.dnsstuff.com

Just because I didn’t answer in your time frame does not mean anything. I have to work and posted before I left this morning and now I’m on my lunch hour and went to post and answer your emails when I see that you are going to report me to Yahoo and being just as nasty to me as those other people were in their posts.

I work for a company that does have this access and I have to speak to my superior to make sure I can release this without being hailed off to jail. I doubt any of you would pay my bail or my legal fees.

This Internet, ISP, DNS information is very sensitive and as I said I don’t want to get in legal trouble. But I do have answers.

Some ISP’s do change daily and people can use another computer or a computer at a hotel and now we have wireless too.

I was honestly trying to help here and this feels very uncomfortable to me that I would now be getting attacked. The sarcastic remarks really suck.

But on the other hand maybe the ones saying shit about me are the negative posters???

Thank you for all the polite emails and I will respond as soon as I can. I don’t believe that any of you would have gone out on this limb with me (well some based on emails) but damn stop the negativity please!

Joel Sax

Re: Re: Re: Re: How can we identify someone by the IP address?

If I am able to give out information I am only going to give it to those that have emailed me with friendly and genuine emails. I will not post another thing here ever and I’ve learned a valuable lesson today because I never post but felt it was warranted today.

So bashers go bash someone else.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: How can we identify someone by the IP address?

Take a deep breath...you cannot fault a person who wrote to you and then did not get a response quickly not to worry - you could have left that detail in your email. I for one appreciate the efforts you would take, but for heaven's sake, don't jeopardize your job over this.

There will always be disgruntled exhibitors - you win some, you lose some. I have yet to win some, but I don't complain about the losses.

Stay and enjoy the forum - there is a lot to learn here.

Ive gone through my systems that I have purchase. for our business and the numbers are only coming up as USA now, Tthey have changed!! Dont buy his( geek) info. I have a very good company we deal with.We use to check fraudulent acts through the internet. Settle down everyone.As long as the person uses AOL and other systems with frequent changing of ip numbers we wont catch them,with out authority. Remember wireless is competely impossible to get ip numbers from.

FYI I ran the numbers while all the posts were being made so I DO have valid information to all those doubting Thomases.

You are correct that by today all the IP addresses have changed. I am not in jeopardy of losing my job this isn't worth it.

I will respond to the people who emailed me, the ones I know. If I have never heard of you don't expect a response.

Yes, you don’t know me by this name but I would hope you would understand why. As someone so eloquently stated to use your real name would be political suicide.

Joel, if they get your IP address via email then you might have a problem also? Just a thought.......... be careful, perhaps keep the information to yourself especially on the non AOL IP address.

IP addresses do not changed daily, they can change weekly, monthly, yearly and IP Config does not always change it even if trying to change it if you're blocked. Some are static, some are dynamic and one's off the home router might begin with 192.xxx.xxx.xx

Re: Cannot get actual end user info from just an IP number, only internet Host

Also keep in mind that the IP addresses off of your home router are assigned by your Internet Host i.e. Earthlink, Telephone Company that provides Internet service. AOL is NOT an internet host. The Internet Host is a company. The Host has an IP provider number. So there are multiple IP layers. When you see an IP address is not directly to the offending individual's computer but it is the IP number of the Internet Host, a company. That's really how you can tract what part of the country or possibly what state (However keep in mind if you are using dial up then the person could be in CA and the dial IP addresss of the host could be ANYWHERE in the country You cannot then assume that the person is living in the state of the IP address.)

So you can track whick Internet Host the offending poster uses, maybe. There is no way, unless you work for the Host Company and have access to that company's files you can drill down and find out any information about to whom that Host assigned that number. You would need a legal court order to obatin those records. It would be the same thing as trying to hack into a private companies files from the outside world.

Re: Re: Cannot get actual end user info from just an IP number, only internet Host

Hacking into the private companies from the outside world happens all the time without a court order!!!!

I saw Manasses VA. and Centennial CO. when I looked it up