Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
x-rays for pregnancy

What is the earliest day you can safely x-ray a pregnant bitch? A friend of mine says her vet did an x-ray and this is day 50 into her term.

Re: x-rays for pregnancy

I believe day 40 is the earliest.

I prefer not to x-ray so as not to add risk to the pregnancy, however if I'm dealign with a first time mother, a mother with a history of birthing complications, or if I suspect a problem I like to do it so I'm better prepared and know what to expect.

You need to do the x-ray about 5-6 days before the due date. Any sooner and the skeletons won't show up.

Fetal skeletons calcify at around 42 days, so anytime after that. Me? I'm going to xray my bitch at 54 days gestation; my choice since my favorite tech will be there that day. She was the one that helped me with the A.I. of my bitch Fiona 5 & 1/2 years ago that resulted in this bitch's birth! She always teases me that we "had sex" that day!!

Re: Re: x-rays for pregnancy

We normally X-Ray at 50-55 day gestation. I would also recommend getting the first appointment of the day...before the Vet clinic sees any sick dogs. The deeper into the day you go the more likely your bitch could be exposed to something. Even the cleanest Vet clinics could harbor something airborne...just a thought.

Thanks all. I wondered if it was at all dangerous for the pups taking the x-ray that early in the term.

Good advice, as always, Melody! I'm gonna make and 8:00 AM appointment with my bitch!