Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
SJVLRC fun and how to tell who's gonna win

OK, I just got home from SJVLRC last night, Linda Maffett (who owned and bred WD on Sat. congrats congrats), Vicky Hoskinson, Diane Sullenburger and I drove down with the four of us and 14 dogs. We had a ball. I mean a total blast. Great site, great company, great food--we laughed and laughed for five days straight. All of us agreed it was the most fun we'd had all year, and we seem to say that every year.

So imagine my horror when talking to Judy and Vonnie, no longer smiling, and hear them say they are thinking of giving up on holding the show because it is so frustrating to get attacked like this every time they win. We all scrambled to make them feel better--whatever it took to keep this marvelous show alive. I also told them to stop reading this Forum. That I rarely do, because people can use fake names and get mean and ridiculously petty. Life's too short to listen to this kind of stuff. And again, shame on you who have attacked them, for if they do leave, this Forum will lose one of its best voices of wisdom.

And to those who are whining about these wins being political, let me just give you some of your own medicine and say you will never acheive the level of success the Hyspire ladies have. Why? Because you can't see it. I went to this show with two young bitches who I thought were pretty darn good. I walked in the ring, looked around and thought--we are going to get our @$$ kicked today. Why? Because there were better dogs in the ring! If you go to shows and constantly complain that the judging is biased, you give yourself an excuse to not improve what you have. When I walked in the ring with Rah Rah at this show a few years ago Judy 'bout jumped the ring gates to come over and ask me about her. And when I bred her to one of their dogs, they bent over backwards to make it happen, and asked for a puppy back. I was tickled to do it, and even more tickled to see that young dog win this weekend. It all happened because these ladies have a great eye, they know quality. So do most judges, which is why they are asked to be judges. Having an eye for a great dog is what separates the very best breeders from the rest, and inevitably leads to a long career of many wins. Not being able to see why a great dog/handler team wins will keep you forever in the also rans.

I know I have gone on too long, but I have one more comment. Some of you know I have a new sport, patterned horse racing (barrels, poles, etc.) Guess what? The same people win those shows over and over, too. And there's absolutely no politics, just an electric timer. Extraordinary talent always rises to the top. We take lessons from those winners, pick their brains, study their horses, and ride really hard, hoping to one day be just a little like them. And we never make excuses. :)

Re: SJVLRC fun and how to tell who's gonna win

Kudos Becky, well said. And congrats to all the more northern Washingtonians!
We have sooo much fun at this show, it's as much a vacation as a show. The Hyspire contingent and hubby Jim are such gracious people, it's unbelievable that some people say what they do.
I come home from these shows after seeing what they (Hyspire) have and say to some in my bunch, " It's time to clean house, you're outta here!"

Way to say it all Becky! You are so, so very right and we did have a ball and I'm still so tired I think I need three more nights sleep to catch up.

There were several classes that I was in and thought the exact same thing. Looking around in that ENORMOUS 12-18 bitch class with a pretty girl on my lead (Sunnydaze Belgairn Temptation) and being almost as equally excited to get a 4th with all those lovely girls as I was to go WD from the BBE class!

I know well in advance the quality I may be up against when I enter any Specialty. There are fabulous dogs from WA, OR & CA as well as other states at these shows. For me it's more about the fun and friends than the winning. I go to socialize, study dogs and catch up with my friends where miles separate us. If I get a placement I'm thrilled, if I don't I can look around and know why and if I win it's a bonus topping up my fun trip.

Re: Re: SJVLRC fun and how to tell who's gonna win

Well said Becky.I've done the same as you.....gone to a specialty with a pretty nice bitch and then walked in the ring and gone...."oh, crap!" Maybe my little girl doesn't have quite the sweet expression, or that tail set is just a tad low or on and on. If I get beaten by a better dog, then I try to recognize and breed for better. If you are so kennel blind that you can't see what makes an outstanding Labrador then maybe you should get out of the breed.
I was truly appalled to read what some were saying about the Hyspire "chicks" I have had several dealings with them and they have always bent over backwards to help.
So....hang in there girls...there are many more on this forum that support you than are critisizing.
Im not going to make Potomac for the 2nd year in a row because I just had a litter sired by their gorgeous yellow boy "Morgan".

Looking forward to next years show!

Re: Re: Re: SJVLRC fun and how to tell who's gonna win

I agree, very well said.
the hyspire girls have been nothing but kind. I guess when you get to the top of your game this is what happens. people have to be critical.
honestly, i heard about this forum not too long ago and thought it was a great idea and would be fun to chat about the labradors that we all love,and learn from the knowledge of others. what a turn off to hear people bitching about who won at a specialty. when i read some of the things that people write it makes my stomach turn.

I couldn't agree more with Becky and Linda. We all had a terrific time and to hear that other folks were complaining on the forum....such a shame.
This was a wonderful show!! Great weather, great people and friends and laughs! One dog even liked the prizes so much, he jumped headlong into the stuffed animal box out of pure joy after winning his class!! Thanks to you all for making this such a great time!

"Having an eye for a great dog is what separates the very best breeders from the rest, and inevitably leads to a long career of many wins. Not being able to see why a great dog/handler team wins will keep you forever in the also rans."

Brilliantly put. I'd also add that the best of the best understand, perhaps intuitively, how to make great dogs. Not just create them from bone and muscle and fur, but to raise them and train them to their highest potential.

I should be so lucky. Someday, perhaps... I'm certainly off to a good beginning.

To anybody who thinks the Hyspire dogs only win because of politics:

Take those things called "eyes" out of your ass and stick them back in the sockets where they belong.

Hey, all of you WA girls... I would like to chime in and say that it was a ton of fun hanging out with you. Diane, we were never formally introduced but it sure was great to have laughs with you. Thank you for the tissue to dab at my weeping "canthus!" Did I finally get that word right? Probably not, but at any rate, I will always smile when I think of it.

Friends and co-workers wonder why I engage in such an expensive hobby. I tell them that it is my passion; I love the beauty of Labradors first of all, but the thing that keeps me coming back to shows is the joy of seeing beautiful labs, the great friends, and most of all fun.

Looking forward to seeing ya'll at future shows, and certainly at next year's SJVLRC. It will go on!

All my best, Nancy

I really don't want this thread to deteriorate, too. All I wanted to say is SJVLRC is one of the most fun shows there is, and every exhibitor should be able to walk in the ring, look around, and know who will win. If you can't, you know you have something to work on.

The other thing that I love about the Rodeo world and hope I can carry it into the dog show world is the Cowboy Up mentality of no whiners. These people so admire a great ride and so distain complainers that they dislike those who argue a judge's call or a timer's mistake. I've been taught to suck it up or go sit in the truck, even if it means you lose because of a volunteer's honest mistake. The *only* acceptable answer to this kind of dispute is for the one who had the call go in their favor to point it out. Let me tell you, that makes for a whole different atmosphere than what I've been reading here lately. My son even has a shirt that says "Are you going to Cowboy Up or just lay there and bleed?" :) Cowboy Up, folks.

Cowboy Up

I think we need to have t-shirts made that say this on the front, and Potomac, 2007 on the back !!

it seems to me this whole discussion resulted from just one simple word--jealousy. Jealousy is destrictive not only to the innocent people toward whom it is directed, but I would imagine grrrrrr doesn't like herself or her dog either. I happen to live where there is no specialty so for me to enter my girl I end up smack dab in the area where the Hyspire girls are. Shall I hate them already and refuse to enter because of them? I'll take my chances when the time comes and just enjoy the beauty of all the dogs, and when I realize my girl really doesn't have what it takes to win, I'll happily let her live out her life with my other girls who were supposed to be show quality but didn't make it. Isn't the love of a lab really what it's all about?

Re: Cowboy Up

Yeah, there's a bunch of good ones that would work: Cowboy up or go sit in the truck--no whiners allowed. Or Cowboy wisdom--never miss the opportunity to shut up. Another Cowboy wisdom: There are two theories of arguing with a woman. Neither one works. Or on the nicer side: When I count my blessings I count my horse twice. Or my daughter's two sleep shirts, both with pictures of barrel racers on them: My mom is faster than your mom. And, You WISH you could ride like a girl. And, finally, the one the Hyspire ladies should wear but are WAY too nice--You're either making dust or eating it. Love 'em all!

I love "Cowboy Up!" I'm saving these... Great idea for the t-shirt - I'll buy one!

Nancy! Yes! You finally got it! Outer canthus!! Now, I believe we should move on to the really important things, like.....sinkers and floaters!!!
HAHAHAHAHAHA!!
It was such a pleasure getting to know you and having such a great time! Can't wait till we meet again:)

".sinkers and floaters!!!
HAHAHAHAHAHA!!"

OK Diane... now you just about made me spew my coffee onto my laptop!!! Floaters and sinkers and inner and out canthus... WOW! You just never know what you might learn at a Labrador show! Ha! Ha! Ha! I think all that laughter might cure all ills. Floaters for sure! Feng shui!

I love the "Cowboy Up" idea, too! Laura, are you listening? Maybe that will be our "theme!" :)

Have a great day,

Nancy

Re: Re: Cowboy Up

Saw a "Cowboy Up" license plate down at Belmont park a couple of weeks ago. Thought it was great!