Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Very Vocal 3 week old

Just curious with a smidge of concern...we have a 3 week old that is the smallest of the litter, and talks, cries, or shall say is 'vocal' all the time. He is vocal before feeding, during feeding and after, and just in general. Is this a sign of something more concerning or just his phase or personalty. All my boys are at about 5lbs at 3 weeks, he is around 4lbs, right in line with our female babe. He is strong, active and just very vocal.....

Re: Very Vocal 3 week old

We had vocal pups and our mentor told us to start mush early? Maybe he is hungry?? It worked for us. Colleen

Thanks...
We have them on gruel...puppy food (Chick soup for the puppy) and they have been on it since last Fri., (he eats good) I make my gruel with dry food and water a spoonful of yogurt and some esbilac, they are breaking teeth and we are feeding them 2-3 times per day, my female has been backing off the box since early last week, so I felt the need to start them on gruel a little early, at just under 3 weeks age.....

I always seem to have a chatter bug. He could just be the smartest one in the bunch. Sounds healthy. Sometime to break up the day, I'll put some tunes on or a TV and just let it run. Throw in some toys too.

Is there a cool spot in the whelping box? Sometimes pups will cry if they feel too hot. A damp towel, a bottle of water frozen, something like that can give them a way to cool off.

Assuming that they are comfortable and healthy - I've found that the vocal ones stay vocal forever.

Thanks for the advice, I read some where maybe a frozen washcloth, they are all teething....I am also going to get them all wormed, and then see what happens. I think that he is just a fussy puppy, and I am being an over-reactive Momma.

Another suggestion..if the bit***h backing off make sure the pups nails are short enough between the teeth coming in and nails OUCHIE ... cooling down the box was a good idea as well.Mom wont go in if it is to hot for them as well.

Re: Re: Very Vocal 3 week old

Isn't that the truth!! My last litter I had one girl that started barking at 3 weeks old. I kept praying that she wasn't the keeper and, wouldn't you know it, she was! At times I know think she thinks her name is "LeeAnn, no barking" or "LeeAnn, good no barking"!

Johanne

Re: Re: Very Vocal 3 week old

Maybe a belly ache?
try some benebac or yogurt......
Tummy may be upset. Just a thought