Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Milk Please Help

Can anyone please help me.
My bitch is almost due for her litter, but I think she does not have enough milk, I press her nipples and almost nothing, is there something I can give her to eat so she can produce milk?
Thank you very much.

Re: Milk Please Help

Your girl will have plenty of milk. You do not want to play with her nipples too much, it will cause contractions.

Her milk will come down after she delivers the puppies. Do not fret.

ALL WILL BE WELL>

Also - the real milk doesn't come in for a couple of days. At first, colostrum is produced which is thicker and yellowish. It's full of great stuff including immunity factors and it's very high calorie. Don't worry about not enough milk for a couple of days. Then all of a sudden, you'll see the puppies start to gulp. Milk production is all about supply and demand also - but supply does lag a little behind demand. Another thing you might notice is the teats seem very full right after whelping, and it can look like there is a lot of milk that isn't coming out. That's really edema - collection of water in the tissues, and is related to the hormones. The teats will get softer as the edema subsides.

Good luck with your upcoming whelping, and relax and enjoy the amazing miracle!

Re: Re: Milk Please Help

I like to give the girls a bit of plain organic yogurt. Maybe also some pet cal. Just to keep their calcuim levels good. But yes, let mother nature take its course. Her milk will be there for the babies when they are born. Nursing pups will stimulate milk production as well.

Thank you very much for your coments and for taking the time to write them