To Stud Dog Owners

Lets say one of your top dogs was bred to a really
nice bitch twice via chilled. The bitch had a
previous litter but did not take either time
for whatever reason. Semen shipped from a long
distance by the way.
Your contract says only 1 repeat breeding if
she did not take the first time.
Bitch owner still wants a puppy from your boy.
Would you offer a puppy to that person in leiu
of the stud fee,shipping,boxes,progesterone
tests,advertising the litter etc.??

Re: To Stud Dog Owners

Absolutely! If both parties can come to an acceptable deal then you might even get lucky and have it be the start of a nice friendship.

Nope, I am not a newbie by any means, only smart enough to know that it's a small Labrador world, don't burn bridges but you can get a lot further with the help of other breeders than without.

As someone else had posted..take from this advice what you will. You could be doing yourself and another BREEDER a tremendous favor

Re: Re: To Stud Dog Owners

I agree with Butt Tuck. I have a bitch that is coming back for her 3 time. The only difference is that she has never had a litter. I am determined to have her get pregnant.

Maybe a vaginal smear and antibiotics are in order when she comes in heat again.

It pays off when you are patient and congenial with problem bitches and their owners. JMO

not if it's not the fault of the stud dog that the bitch never got pg. As long as the semen was good, no. The fee is for viable semen period.

oh, and you are not alone losing a stud fee because your bitch could not conceive. It's happened to me twice. I did not get a puppy although I did ask.

Re: Re: To Stud Dog Owners

I would offer the pup situation. "What goes around comes around"

Re: Re: Re: To Stud Dog Owners

One could offer the pup and then get a pup back from it. I have several breeder friends who we do this back and forth with. As someone said, it could be the start of a good friendship. I've been burned giving free pups too, but there are people out there who are just like that, and personally, I am glad I'm not one of them. I can sleep at night. I always remind myself not to let my experience with one person who turned out to be nasty, allow me to distrust all others. More cautious, yes, but to take it out on others, no. I would make the offer, or as Gail said, try a third time, whichever the bitch owner preferred.

Re: Re: Re: Re: To Stud Dog Owners

Each situation is different and so what one would do is based on many scenarios. For instance did the person with the bitch do progesterone testing or whatever the stud owner was asking her to do and in the way she was asked to do it. If we were breeding a bitch for someone and the first time they absolutely did not comply with the protocol we know works, then we would ask them to please do so the second time and if they refused again then I doubt they would get another shot. However if they were doing everything right then we would talk over the situation with the bitch owner and all see what we could do to make it fair for everyone.
Like I said - so many different scenarios- each case has to be taken individually.
Judy

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: To Stud Dog Owners

Thank you Butt Tuck:) And of course there are
many different reasons I was asking this question.
I will not go into details but the majority of
mistakes were made by the stud dog owner.
And one on my part the first time.

I am just hoping they will want to work something
out with me as money here, does not grow on trees
and I have been planning this breeding for a
very long time.

Sounds like........these folks will do something with a really nice puppy AND it would also be good for your "bred-by" puppy to be out and about, so a nice gesture all the way around to place a pup in with them.

Generally for me, a stud service is a stud service not a puppy, but what works well is different in every situation. As always life is not black and white