Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
In heat protocol/showing

Hi-
What is the protocol with showing a b**** in heat? I personally would not do this and my father never took a b**** in heat to a Field Trial, but wondering about what you all do/think.
TIA
A

Re: In heat protocol/showing

AKC regulations state that you can show a bitch in heat in CONFORMATION but not in any performance events.

Taking a bitch in heat to an obedience trial, field trial or hunt test can get you fined and/or suspended from AKC events. This includes having one on the grounds that is NOT entered in the event.

MK

I thought at field trials and such they could as long as the club hosting allows and they run last?

In conformation shows, probably 1 in 6 bitches are in heat. Labrador bitches look their best when they are in heat. There is no reason not to show in conformation. Of couse, courtesy would dictate that you not go ringside until right before your class.

I had to do some looking and I guess not.
But I did see where some breeds do allow them in field events.

Thanks so much. I was mainly concerned with showing in conformation.
A

Re: Re: In heat protocol/showing

If you do show a b**ch in season, be courteous and tell the judge They appreciate being told.

Some WC's I've been to do let you run last with your girl in season. And, she is kept well away from all the other dogs. NEVER at a Hunt Test.

Some hunt tests even have a bitch check - all bitches have to be checked before they can run to determine if they are in season or not. On more than one occasion a handler has been surprised when the bitch comes in at the test.

Re: Re: Re: In heat protocol/showing

Yes, the majority of those hunt tests do employ a friendly volunteer to do those checks before they run. I just had to share an amusing story along with this thread. It wasn't amusing at the time of course, but everything always works itself out in the end.

My girl was well on her way to what would have been her VERY finest performance in the obedience ring (the final leg of her CD as well!), when I spotted just one "teeny tiny", infinitesimal, really had to look to see what it was, drop of blood on the mat as I was getting ready to do the recall....but of course...so did the judge. Away we went with a "much" longer than normal drive home, ha-ha! If only we all had one of those crystal balls

I have shown my girls when they are in season.
I just wait to bring them up to ringside until the last minute, keep them away from males and inform the judge she is in season.

The only performance event that I am aware of that allows b**tches in season is tracking -- and then they have to be kept away from the other dogs and they run the very last track.

I have never seen anyone checking b**tches at hunt tests and I usually marshall at 3 to 5 tests per summer. I would not run a b**tch at a WC or hunt test while in season even if allowed as they should not be going in the water while they are in season due to concerns of infection.

Re: Re: In heat protocol/showing--not swimming???

No swimming during heat cycles? I recall an "educational" movie about that in 5th grade!! They also told us not to ride horses or play sports during "that time."

It is not true--for humans or dogs. I have several female field dogs, all train when in heat, land and water. In 20+ years, I have NEVER had an infection from a dog swimming while in heat.

MK

I am a nurse and I understand what you are saying about the myths about women. However, my vet had told me that unlike women, the cervix of a b**tch is open while they are in season allowing the introduction of bacteria and it was he who recommended I avoid dirty ponds with my in season girls. Perhaps that has changed since it was a good 10 or 12 years ago when he told me that but that is the protocal I have followed since then. My field trainer also wants the in season b**tches out of his kennel because they tend to bring in the other ones and I am happy to comply with the large number of intact males there at any time. I am aware of several friends who have had "accidents" occur at trainers or handlers resulting in unwanted breedings.

I am very surprised that AKC hunt tests never have anyone checking bitches for season. I have "bi*ch checked" at UKC events and EVERY bitch running gets swabbed with a white towel to check for blood. I think this should be standard protocol as I am sure most of you that have run hunt tests can attest to the fact that at one time or another you can bet there was a female in season.....those males know.

I ran at an AKC hunt test this February where there was a bitch check on all bitches before they were allowed to run. This was the first time I had ever run into this, but I have been at tests where a bitch check was requested for a bitch that was suspected of being in heat (she wasn't).