Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Weaning

The pups have been on gruel for a week now, this weekend they are 4 weeks, and I am just wondering if there is a time that I increase their food portion/or the frequency that they are getting fed. Momma is feeding while standing, and likes to feed them AFTER they eat gruel. I am sure that she will tell them when she is done feeding???

Re: Weaning

I go by how much mom is feeding them and buy the pups weights and how they look to determine when to increase amount of food in feeding 3x/day.

What does their gruel consist of?

we feed Choick Ssoup for the puppy and I have been adding a spoonful of yogurt and some esbilac. I have been feeding them 3x's a day. I haven't been cutting back on Mommas food tooo much, maybe just by a cup so far. She is still pretty thin.

wow...I ment Chick Soup for the Puppy Food....

Re: Re: Weaning

I would feed them 3x daily and let mom nurse whenever she wants. Once I start feeding my pups 3x daily I find my bitches are happy to nurse just 2x a day, first thing in the morning, and last thing at night. Remember cutting back on Mom's food will not stop milk production, as it is water that produces the milk and the more she nurses the more she will produce milk.If she is real thin I would not cut back her food for a while. JMO

Thanks! I am also finding that she is just nursing am/pm. She gives them a good nursing before bed!

Once puppies are eating food well, I like to feed them 4 times a day - around 6 am, 11 am, 5 pm and just before bed, around 10-11 pm. All times are approximate, but I just think they are more satisfied if I feed more often. The moms are welcome to nurse as long as they want as well, but what usually happens is that I'll let her in to clean up the food dish and puppy faces and the puppies will "top off" their meal with a nursing. Works for me.

4x daily is best. Nothing less.

I was just feeding 3x, but this last weekend, I upped it to 4x's per day, they are growing and developing so quickly!