Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
A Silly Question

Just researching the pedigree of the stud that we used and was googling his father, FC-AFC Riparian Roughrider, and fathers pedigree and found this name, 1971 NFC Mi-Cris Sailor.

Would one of the more experienced breeders shed some light on the degree of quality behind the pedigree. Please don't laugh, I am just very interested in this and this forum is really my only connection with people who are passionate about this.
Thanks in advance!

Re: A Silly Question

Not sure about the rest of the pedigree, but NFC stands for "National Field Champion". However, 1971 is so far back that it likely has very little, if any, influence in what you see today unless there's been a lot of line-breeding done.

Good luck.

I once bred my MH girl from show lines to Riparian Roughrider. I chose him because he was being used by a service dog organization that wanted good stable temperaments and because the field people respected him as a performer and a producer. This was a while ago, but I think the recommendation came from Mary Howley (Candlewood). Teddy was a finalist at the National Championship the year after I used him- 1995 or thereabouts. I believe that he had a full brother who did well as well. The puppies weren't what I was looking for, being more fieldy in appearance, but the people who bought them were looking for a field/show combination and weren't put off by that.

Re: Re: A Silly Question

I have a grand daughter of Teddy and she is a great cross of the confirmation/field lab. She has a ton of coat, otter tail and a temperment to die for. Unfortunately she had FCP as a pup and we had her spayed. But all that aside she is a great girl.

My girl is a Field Lab, and Jet, the son of Riparian Roughrider, is a beautiful LARGE field boy, I just find their ancestory so interesting.

By the way, thank you for the responses and experiences!

Wow, Mi-Cris Sailor, now thats a name I haven't heard in a long time :) You might contact Sandy Briggs of Wimberway-off hand can't remember which older dog he would of been hehind of his if my memory is correct about her pedigrees...she might have even seen him.

Re: Re: A Silly Question

Here's a link to a 6-gen pedigree (not complete, I'm afraid) for Sailor.

http://labrador.retriever.free.fr/pedig6.php?id=28022&lang=en

Wow, this is a walk down memory lane! My first Labrador was a field bitch by Sailor. You'd be surprised - he's back there (WAY,WAY WAY back there!) in some very nice show pedigrees.

I turned up a photo on Working Retriever Central.

Photo