Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Switching food

I know dry food wasn't in the recall, but having our 11 yr old lab die of kidney failure last year from metacam I wasn't taking any chances, so I swithed our 3 labs to canidae chicken and rice from nutro natural choice dry. I didn't mix the foods and knew they'd get diarrhea from it, but I wanted them off nutro. My question is how long till their systems get used to the new food? I've added some brown rice in with the dry food to see if it helps. The poop is pudding like not watery.

Re: Switching food

Depends on the dog - sometimes a few days up to a couple of weeks. Try adding canned pumpkin - about a tablespoon - to their food.

Just about ANY food has the potential to cause a toxicity problem based on the ingredients supplied by whomever. We found that out over a year ago with the aflatoxin in the Diamond brand food, and it just happened again with the rat poison in millions of cans and pouches. By the way, I know of a couple breeders who had dogs with liver failure (at least one died) from Canidae at that same time as the Diamond food.
The only pet foods that are somewhat immune from these toxicities due to tainted ingredients are the "fixed formula" foods, like Science Diet, and the prescription veterinary foods. Commercial food manufacturers will get their ingredients supplied by whoever is cheapest at the time, from wherever, and it's all legal, and all it takes is one supplier with tainted food to cause illness and death. The "fixed formula" diets have to go through more stringent quality control, and they cannot deviate from what the formula is. (Imagine the lawsuits if you are feeding your dog a veterinarian-prescribed prescription diet that causes illness and death). The only other option is preparing your own food for your dogs every day, but that takes a lot of research to provide the proper nutrients in the right balance, and it's a lot of work.
Also, I'm betting we will find that the animals that got the sickest may have already been compensated somehow; geriatric, stressed or below average immune system, borderline kidney or liver problems, etc. At the hospital where I work, two cats died we suspect from acute kidney failure from the tainted food; one was 16 and the other was 13.
I would keep your dogs (and yourselves!) as healthy as possible, and not risk illness by abruptly switching food and causing diarrhea. I don't think we can by inference implicate certain commercial dry dog food brands until we have proof. Bottom line, if your dog gets sick, bring him or her into the vet and run bloodwork to see if the liver or kidneys are affected.
I think I'm going to look into home cooking human grade food; it is more strictly regulated. Maybe some good will come of this disaster and there will be more controls over the pet food industry. Some companies may self-regulate due to the threat of lawsuits, as many voluntarily recalled their canned foods. Unfortunately, money makes the world go 'round!

Cut back the intake of food. Canidae Chicken and rice is a higher calorie and fat source than nutro Natural choice. I wonder why you didn't go with Canidae's Lamb and Rice it would have been less of a switch.

Any how it may take a few days to allows your dogs systems to sort it out and adjust to a new protien source.

I feed Canidae ALS and love it and I found I feed quite a bit less than I did with Nutro Ultra.

Good Luck

Re: Re: Switching food

THanks! My two girls are doing fine on it after initial upset, but my boy is the one still going mush. I gave him pumpkin this morning which he loved. Should I get him the lamb formula or do you think that will cause more problems?

Mine never did get firm stools on Canidae. Plus they went almost completely bald, got hotspots, starting licking their feet and got nasty goop in their ears. Canidae was a complete mess for my dogs.

Re: Re: Switching food

Why were you on Nutro Lamb and Rice ? I also would think you would have gone to another Lamb and rice if switching. Just watch for stratching, ear problems, and any chance. I love the Nutro for coats and no skin problems at all. Give the new a chance since you switched.

If the pumpkin doesn't work for your boy, try cottage cheese.