Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
young stud dog

My bitch will come into season in May the stud dog that I want to use will only be 10mths. Can he have his pre-lims done at 10mths or does he need to be a year.

Re: young stud dog

I know a breeder who did a boy at 9 months to use and had his cerf done and a Penn Hip and used him. It was a struggle to use him she had to hold them together for the tie because of being so small. Good Luck!!!
The Dam did conceive but a risk you take also! Being so young.

Re: Re: young stud dog

OFA pre-lims can be done as young as 4 months I think, that along with possible Penn-hip would be a great start for this boy! Good luck with your breeding, the youngest male I've ever used was 11 months and he did fine A sperm check prior to using him might be a wise idea?

My Rhodesian Ridgeback friend had an "oops" breeding with a SEVEN month old puppy, and wouldn't you know, the bitch had 12 puppies! She didn't go to any dog shows for a long time as she knew the word had gotten out and she was so embarassed!
You can do a PennHip as early as 4 months, but OFA they recommend 7 to 8 months at the youngest...and things can change. You wouldn't want a surprise bad elbow or hips at 18 months. Unless you know the line really well I would think twice and maybe consider this youngster for the next breeding you do with your bitch. Have a plan B lined up, it's good breeding sense anyway! "Stuff" happens!

I bred to a boy who had had his prelims done at 8 months. He was OFA prelim good. He didn't pass at two.... with so many great stud dogs available to us, I'd wait. Why not use his dad?

Re: Re: young stud dog

It's doable, very risky for the same reasons mentionned previously (hips being good at 10 months not passing at 23, or elbows...)

I understand wanting to use a specific dog, but could you go to his dad? It's just a suggestion.