Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Need The Experts LOL It is spring!

Well I have a mess here I have not had in 12 years at least. Lucky me. I have 2 girls that opened the back door last night and off they went. I did not have a clue until I went into the kitchen and there were 2 of my other girls standing on the deck . Good Girls they stayed where they knew they were to stay.
But the other 2 little monkeys were gone and all of a sudden that dreaded smell SKUNK!!!!! I knew in an instant I was in trouble and I was 100% correct. One girl got it in the neck the other on the tail. They are not in the house they are in my kennel waiting for me to clean them up.
This is the problem I have lost the recipe for the stuff to bath them in if any one has it I would love to have the information to get to work on them.
My other kids probably hate me for making them suffer all night with the odor but better in the kennel than my house!!! I thank you in advance for this!!! .

Re: Need The Experts LOL It is spring!

The Skunk Remedy Recipe

In a plastic bucket, mix well the following ingredients:

1 quart of 3% Hydrogen Peroxide

1/4 cup of baking soda

1 to 2 teaspoons liquid soap

for very large pets one quart of tepid tap water may be added to enable complete coverage.

Re: Need The Experts LOL It is spring!

You are my life saver thank you now if I can get close enough to do this .LOL Been an awful long time!!!

Thank You

Re: Re: Need The Experts LOL It is spring!

My boy got it in the NOSE (yep, straight in the ol' "snot-locker") and neck.

I was fortunate enough to work for NCH Corp at the time (parent company for BRAMPTON - Makers of OUT! and Other fine enyme based products for smells).

I got a bottle of the de-skunk liquid and it worked great.... although he had skunk breath for a few days.

I am glad it worked so well, because he got the same thing a week later.

You can try home made stuff, but enzymes work faster and better. They break down the oils very well and very fast.

Re: Re: Need The Experts LOL It is spring!

If you need to get the odor out of the house or kennel, put fresh, dry coffee grounds and whole cloves in a cast iron skillet and heat it on the stove until is just starts to smoke. Using pot holders, walk through the house with it. It is a nice clean smell and gets rid of the skunk smell.

Re: Re: Re: Need The Experts LOL It is spring!

LAB METHOD DEODORIZES A SKUNK-AFFLICTED PET
from Chemical & Engineering News, October 8, 1993

Paul Krebaum reports from Lisle, Ill., on an apparently good method of "descenting one's pets."

For several years, he says, his group has been using alkaline hydrogen peroxide (30% H2O2, 6M NaOH) to scrub hydrogen sulfide from waste gas streams in the laboratory. This reagent, he says, also works well for destroying excess thiols in dilute aqueous solution. Some time ago, Krebaum says, a colleague announced that his cat "had an rather unpleasant encounter with a skunk." The colleague had tried the standard remedies (for example, tomato juice), but the cat was still too rank to be let into the house. Because skunk spray is composed mainly of low molecular weight thiols, Krebaum says, he suggested that the cat be bathed in a version of the lab's alkaline hydrogen peroxide reagent. The colleague reported the next day that the stuff had worked like magic, and the cat was back in the house.

Krebaum says the formula (for pets) is as follows:

• 1 qt. 3% hydrogen peroxide (from drugstore)
• 1/4 cup baking soda (sodium bicarbonate)
• 1 teaspoon liquid soap

The bath should be followed with a tap water rinse.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Need The Experts LOL It is spring!

Easier yet and it works!!!!! Wash dog in a female douche product - completely soak the coat and then rinse with water.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Need The Experts LOL It is spring!

Very important....do not wet the dog before apply the skunk recipe. It must be applied to a dry coat for best results.