Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Colic?

I have a quick question...

I have a litter of two ten day old pups that started to cry last night. Very serious crying. I noticed that their bellies were large and distended. I rubbed their little bellies with a warm cloth and eventually they were quiet again. This went on all night. All is well this morning. Reminds me alot of colic in babies...

When mom licked them, they did urinate and had BM's (couldn't actually see the poop, but mom acted like she got 'something'). When I tryed to stimulate them they just urinated.

Does this sound like colic to you guys, or could it be something else? What methods do you use for colic?

I'm calling my vet and mentors this morning just to get their views too. I'm sure they are getting tired of me!!!

Thanks
Melissa

Re: Colic?

It sounds like mom is not relieveng them like she should. When they start crying, hold the pup up to her and have her lick them until they urinate. If that doesn't work, use a warm, wet cotton ball and rub gently. Once they go, they should sleep the rest of the night. This is not uncommon. I usually do all of them at once, instead of getting up everytime one pup cries.

Re: Colic?

Make sure it's no too hot.