Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Tennie the Terrible Towel - make that Battery - Eater

Let me start by saying that Tennie did NOT eat an Energizer AA battery. But I thought she did.

It's a very wet, cold, rainy day here in upstate NY, and as a result, my backyard is showing all kinds of signs of spring: brown mud, black mud, green mud, mud with grass in it, mud with dogs in it... So when I let all the dogs out this afternoon I was anxious for them to go out and come back in as fast as possible, because although the mud comes in a wide range of colors and textures, I really have better ideas when it comes down to decorating my house.

So in the process of letting everyone out, a battery dropped on the floor. I think it fell off a table when somebody bumped into it. At any rate, I see the battery, make a nose dive, but the battery is gone. Tennie grabbed it. At least I thought she did. Now, the first thing going through my head at this point is "DANG I can't afford another $1700 vet bill". The second thing was the more rational "OMG - that could kill her!" as the dogs go barreling out the door. My daughter says ever so helpfully from the couch, "Why don't you just make her throw it up?" Good idea, kid. What would I do without you.

So I get the hydrogen peroxide, and soak some bread in it, and get Tennie inside along with the requisite myriad different colors and textures of mud, and give her the H2O2. Meanwhile, the rain is pouring down, and the other Labs are loving it - rolling, romping, and getting their spring facials. I decide to put Tennie back outside, because I don't want her to puke in the house, because THAT color and texture DEFINITELY won't match my decor.

I post Bridget at the back door to watch for vomiting, and I start throwing dog food into bowls so I can get everyone back in from the day spa in the back yard. Bridget announces confidently, "Mom, she's throwing up!" I'm thinking that's a good thing. Nope. I tell her to watch and see if there's a battery in there. All of a sudden she says instead, "Mom, the other dogs are eating her throw-up!"

UGH - so now I bring all the dogs except Tennie in, along with another attractive layer of mud and organic matter, I barricade them behind a baby gate, and give them their dinners, while Bridget continues to watch Tennie throw up in the back yard. Thinking that I have the situation finally under control, I return to the back door to watch for the battery. As I'm watching, no battery, nothing's coming up but mucous, and I'm again thinking I can breathe my sigh of relief, but again it was a bit premature.

Yes, I'm sure you have all figured out what should have been obvious to me at the time, but it wasn't. All of a sudden, behind me, I hear the dreaded and unmistakeable sound of Labradors puking. Since they had eaten Tennie's puke, the H2O2 has now caused them to start puking. Now remember, I had just fed them! So the quantity of puke was unbelievably large, and it was apparently very palatable, because the dogs all started eating it AGAIN.

So now, I rush them all back outside, to the multicolored, mud filled, puke dotted back yard, and realize that they are all just going to keep eating the vomit until the H2O2 loses it's potency. Funny thing is, the Labs are all happily puking and then running around like nothing was happening. Perhaps they thought their mud spa included some sort of digestive cleansing ritual.

Half a roll of paper towels later, I have the indoors cleaned up. Except of course the many shades and textures of mud on my kitchen floor, cabinets, appliances, and walls. Now I breathe a real sigh, and bring the dogs in, put them all behind the gate, and resolve to let them clean up their own puke since they are so anxious to do so anyway.

And I found the battery in a mud puddle just outside the back door.

Re: Tennie the Terrible Towel - make that Battery - Eater

BWAHAHAHAHA! I needed that. You didn't, but I did. .

Re: Re: Tennie the Terrible Towel - make that Battery - Eater

Oh man, Nancy, that's a real " Who's on first? Who's on third?" scenario or....a John Belushi dance!!!! Wowie zowie! Glad ya got the battery back babe!

God bless you, Nancy! Today's adventure made me laugh. You got away with only a half roll of paper towels. and probably about ten years added to your life! However would we manage without our Labs?

OMG that was the funniest story I have read in a long time...let me tell you I am so glad the battery is found but my goodness gracious woman you write a good laugh. I can envision everything you wrote...between my three girls and their kitty it is crazed here too. Thanks for sharing...

Nancy-
This was hilarious and you are a great writer. I don't know you but I can just picture the circus...errr spa.
Thanks for this one and I was wondering how Tennie was doing. Now I know.
A

You gave me a great laugh for the evening and I had to read this story to my husband. You could have been describing our household and I could picture the scene well from your words. You should submit this to LQ or Just Labs for publication!
In fact I would love to include this in one of my dog club newsletters if that would be okay (giving you proper credit).

Or the "AKC Gazette!"

I went ahead and submitted it to the LQ - how about we wait on newsletters and see if they want it?

I was so annoyed after it happened and when I started to think about it I realized that it was a pretty funny situation... I can laugh now!

I thought it was absolutely hysterical!! Even though it wasnt for you!! We all needed a good laugh!!!

Jen

I laughed so hard at this one!!! Such a Lab story!! Should we have all potential puppy buyers check this out!!!?? Ha! Thanks for putting a smile on my face by sharing

This was a great way to start my day! It's also good to know I'm not alone in the "lab antics" department(somedays it sure feels like it.)

Bummer for you, but I will have a great day laughing about this!

It's Karma, I swear Re: Tennie the Terrible Towel - make that Battery - Eater

Nine puked all over MY house this am. Brat. I think she was feeling left out. Or maybe just nauseous.

To quote a friend: "BWAHAHAHAHA!"

What a great story. I think we can all relate!! Those Labradors sure keep us on our toes!

Hahaha - Thank you for sharing this hilarious story, Nancy!
With tears of laughter streaming down my face
Cheers
Leslie

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

Replying to:

Let me start by saying that Tennie did NOT eat an Energizer AA battery. But I thought she did.

It's a very wet, cold, rainy day here in upstate NY, and as a result, my backyard is showing all kinds of signs of spring: brown mud, black mud, green mud, mud with grass in it, mud with dogs in it... So when I let all the dogs out this afternoon I was anxious for them to go out and come back in as fast as possible, because although the mud comes in a wide range of colors and textures, I really have better ideas when it comes down to decorating my house.

So in the process of letting everyone out, a battery dropped on the floor. I think it fell off a table when somebody bumped into it. At any rate, I see the battery, make a nose dive, but the battery is gone. Tennie grabbed it. At least I thought she did. Now, the first thing going through my head at this point is "DANG I can't afford another $1700 vet bill". The second thing was the more rational "OMG - that could kill her!" as the dogs go barreling out the door. My daughter says ever so helpfully from the couch, "Why don't you just make her throw it up?" Good idea, kid. What would I do without you.

So I get the hydrogen peroxide, and soak some bread in it, and get Tennie inside along with the requisite myriad different colors and textures of mud, and give her the H2O2. Meanwhile, the rain is pouring down, and the other Labs are loving it - rolling, romping, and getting their spring facials. I decide to put Tennie back outside, because I don't want her to puke in the house, because THAT color and texture DEFINITELY won't match my decor.

I post Bridget at the back door to watch for vomiting, and I start throwing dog food into bowls so I can get everyone back in from the day spa in the back yard. Bridget announces confidently, "Mom, she's throwing up!" I'm thinking that's a good thing. Nope. I tell her to watch and see if there's a battery in there. All of a sudden she says instead, "Mom, the other dogs are eating her throw-up!"

UGH - so now I bring all the dogs except Tennie in, along with another attractive layer of mud and organic matter, I barricade them behind a baby gate, and give them their dinners, while Bridget continues to watch Tennie throw up in the back yard. Thinking that I have the situation finally under control, I return to the back door to watch for the battery. As I'm watching, no battery, nothing's coming up but mucous, and I'm again thinking I can breathe my sigh of relief, but again it was a bit premature.

Yes, I'm sure you have all figured out what should have been obvious to me at the time, but it wasn't. All of a sudden, behind me, I hear the dreaded and unmistakeable sound of Labradors puking. Since they had eaten Tennie's puke, the H2O2 has now caused them to start puking. Now remember, I had just fed them! So the quantity of puke was unbelievably large, and it was apparently very palatable, because the dogs all started eating it AGAIN.

So now, I rush them all back outside, to the multicolored, mud filled, puke dotted back yard, and realize that they are all just going to keep eating the vomit until the H2O2 loses it's potency. Funny thing is, the Labs are all happily puking and then running around like nothing was happening. Perhaps they thought their mud spa included some sort of digestive cleansing ritual.

Half a roll of paper towels later, I have the indoors cleaned up. Except of course the many shades and textures of mud on my kitchen floor, cabinets, appliances, and walls. Now I breathe a real sigh, and bring the dogs in, put them all behind the gate, and resolve to let them clean up their own puke since they are so anxious to do so anyway.

And I found the battery in a mud puddle just outside the back door.

LOL, one of the best dog breeder stories I have heard!
Days like that, you gotta shake your head and wonder eh? Cheers