Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Sad Ending to Lost Dog Story

Hi Everyone,

Way back at the beginning of January I posted about my sister's lost dog "Gertie" who went missing the morning of Dec. 31st. Not sure if anyone recalls that, but at the time we were exhausting all resources to try and find her. There were some very nice people who responded to my post and offered wonderful suggestions on trying to find her and get her back home. Again, I thank all of you who responded and kept Gertie in your thoughts and prayers.
It is with a very heavy heart that I must report that we got the sad news today that with the spring thaw, my sister's brother-in-law found Gertie's body near the shore of the lake in front of their cottage. They concluded that she must have broken through the ice.
There is closure now, knowing what happened to her, but it does nothing to ease the pain in my heart knowing she is no longer.

Hug your furkids tight.

With sadness,
Kathy

Re: Sad Ending to Lost Dog Story

I am so sorry Kathy - hugs to you and your family

Kathy:
I am so sorry to hear this ending yet I'm sure you and your sister are relieved to know what happened as not knowing is worse. Otherwise I would think you would always be looking for her and wondering what happened to her.
Deb

Re: Re: Sad Ending to Lost Dog Story

I have tears in my eyes thinking of Gertie! So sorry for the loss of a treasured companion!
Jennifer

I'm sorry. What a terrible loss.

Awwww, hate hearing sad endings but at least she knows she is safe now.

oh, my dear, so sad, but in all sadness knowing what happened, must make it easier to cope with, as one could not stop thinking of her forever. ice covered are very dangerous.
hugs
ritva in finland

Re: Re: Re: Sad Ending to Lost Dog Story

How terribly sad.
I am so sorry for your loss :((((

Better to know than not to.

But so sad. My heart goes out to you all. Poor baby.

So sorry for your loss.

Thank you so much everyone for your condolences. I will pass them on to my sister and her family. I appreciate them too as Gertie was my retired show dog before she went to live with my sister and her family, and I always had a special place in my heart for her. It truly is a horrible thing that happened and I am thankful one of the kids did not find her. Yes, there is closure and it is good to know what happened as I fear I would have wondered FOREVER what had happened.

Your thoughts and kindness are greatly appreciated.
Kathy

I'm so sorry for your loss.

Oh my! Thank Goodness the kids didn't find her first. I can just imagine how sad it must've been to find her. My heart goes out to you and your sister's family.

Oh dear, that is so very sad , God bless her soul.
Aloha,
Jackie

i am so sorry for your loss.
LabLover