Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Optigen numbers

Hi, I wonder if anyone know anything about the number of dogs Optigen tested overall.Is there any way of finding this information out?

Also do any of you know much about how many field people use Optigen?

Re: Optigen numbers

I would like to know that too. In my research not many have.And so I really would like to know why it seems to be more of the show dog people then the field breeders. I know some of them are lucky they do hips/elbows much less cerf. It would be interesting to know.

It seems that in other countries the same applies, the show breders use Optigen much more frequently than the field breeders. Can you all come up with any reasons?

And is there nowhere where Optigen publishes, or has made it known,what sort of numbers are using their prcd1 test in total so far?

Re: Re: Optigen numbers

Why doesn't someone email and ask them? They used to release the numbers quarterly.

Do you know where they released them to?

I think Mary Weist got them when she was president of the National Labrador Club.

I'm just guessing here but I think that the incidence of PRA is low in field bred dogs so the optigen test is not routinely done just as we don't routinely test for CNM while many of the field people do.

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

Replying to:

I would like to know that too. In my research not many have.And so I really would like to know why it seems to be more of the show dog people then the field breeders. I know some of them are lucky they do hips/elbows much less cerf. It would be interesting to know.

Can anyone tell me how the dogs on the Optigen list with OFA get to be there? Obviously it's not a complete list so do the owners choose to put them there?

So why would there be low incidence of Prcd in field labs and not in the show dogs.?

Seems like it more show breeders in the US that optigen then in canada.

To respond to Ellen's comment: "Can anyone tell me how the dogs on the Optigen list with OFA get to be there? Obviously it's not a complete list so do the owners choose to put them there?"

You have to apply to OFA to have your Optigen test results reported in their database. Simply download their form: http://www.offa.org/dnaappbw.pdf
include the type of test (PRA) and a copy of Optigen's report. Yes, it requires additional work and a $15 submission fee, but the data is all there for the world to see. Because it costs additional money and time/effort, it seems many folks aren't sending their reports in, hence the lower number of dogs listed vs those actually cleared. Hope this helps!

Thanks Gerri for your explanation. Wonder how many more people would include their results if they didn't have to pay.

I have come by some interesting information that in Britain prcd1 has reared its head in the field dogs in quite a big way.

Five FT CH's were just picked to see what sort of numbers are involved. These five dogs are all known carriers.
Between them they have sired just under 6,000 puppies. Now if they have been lucky and only mated clear bitches (which is unlikley) then nearly 3,000 possible carriers are in the population right now. And that's only from five dogs. Worrying.

All along, through the show dog lines suffering from prcd1, the working breeders have declared that it wasn't their problem, they didn't have it. So how did it creep in. Could this be happening right now in America too?

The working fraturnity, in Britain, are not being exactly enthusiastic about testing as yet. But it is the only way through, without losing some very valued lines. But how can Optigen, or we, persuade these breeders throughout the world that testing really is necessary.It's quite frightening to think that pups are being bred this very minute from known prcd1 carriers, to untested dogs or bitches, isn't it.By allmeans we can bredfrom carriers, but we know that it can only be to tested clear stock. We can sort this out, but only with use of the test, and support from everyone.

Yes, Ellen, this is a current big worry. BUT, contrary to victims of the PRA boom in show Labradors years ago, a test now exists - this is a privilege which makes counting of carriers in pedigrees obsolete and takes the guesswork out of one aspect of breeding.

If you and I are aware of the problem in British FT stock, chances are that those concerned are doubly so. Awareness is half the battle, they have the diagnostic tool and the means to avoid further disaster... the ball is now in their court.

You can only bring a horse to water - some countries have even made "drinking" mandatory before issuing pedigrees, but some would rather choke...