Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Male or Female?

This couple called me for a pup, very nice people who love their two adult labradors they have home and want another one. They have quit a bit of land and a large farm house, no childred.
Question is do they take another male,or should they take a female, or does it make a difference? They have two, very sweet, calm, submissive males home. Would love some input on this. They said it does not matter to them at all, they just want a new baby to add to their family.

Re: Male or Female?

Boys rule!!

If they like the ones they have now, why not make it a threesome

Male or female doesn't matter especially if it is spayed/neutered. The temperament of the individual pup is the most important.

Re: Re: Male or Female?

To be on the safe side, they should bring in a female. As non-aggressive as Labradors are, sometimes we forget that they are still dogs.

Re: Re: Re: Male or Female?

I would be more concerned about making sure they get another non-dominant pup. Put a female in with two laid back males and she will rule them with an iron paw!!

MK

Re: Re: Re: Re: Male or Female?

I would go female spayed. Plus 3 is a crowd especially if the same sex.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Male or Female?

If they get a female, it is virtually guaranteed there will be no conflicts. With a male, it would probably be OK, but you can never be sure. Better safe than sorry.

Oh gosh - put a girlie dog in there

Re: Re: Male or Female?

there are 2 boys in this household so I would probably lean towards another boy. the reason why is because if you put a girl there the 2 other boys neutured or not may compete for a females attention where as a boy there all on equal ground.

I amsure either sex would be fine in the long run as long as the temperment is correct for the new situation of to full grown big brothers.

Re: Re: Re: Male or Female?

Thank you all so much for your input. We all agree on one thing, which is the personality of the new pup is very important. I also felt he/she should be very laid back and easy going. One thing I forgot to say is that they have always had three labradors, their old guy died about 4 mons. ago. Thanks to all!

Re: Re: Re: Re: Male or Female?

I would be leaning towards another male . Two males could become possessive and argumentative over a bitch whereas another male would not cause any sexual conflict. I have kept multiple entire males together for years with no problems. Like the others have said you must make sure that the pup you introduce is a mellow type who will not try to rise to the top of the pack.

I am in the either sex, depends on temperament camp. As a puppy raiser for a service dog organization, I am always adding a new dog to the mix, either sex depending which I get. I currently have a male and female that are mine. Never really noticed a problem with any addition. My puppy raiser friends, some with up to 5 or 6 in the house at any one time, feel the same. I do know a couple of instances where there was a problem, and both involved a female already in the house (ruler of the dogs) and with another female added. Adding boys to the brood never was a problem. So, I would go with temperament. Which every sex matches the temperament best suited for the couple.