Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Is Lacey being shown at Potomac?

Wondering if Lacey is going be shown at Potomac this year? If so what classes to watch for her in? TIA for any information.

Re: Is Lacey being shown at Potomac?

She was bred to Borador's By George in early February, - so should be having a litter in early April.

Why not email Bonnie and ask?

Darn rumors.

The only thing Lacey is having in early April is rehab.

She is entered in Potomac in Best of Breed.

If she is sound, which she is not at this moment, she will be shown. That final decision will be made that week. Of course we hope that she is shown because it would mean she is 100% - this has been a long, unhappy, painful time for her.

We of course appreciate all positive thoughts for her full recovery. Anyone who wants to talk about her to me specifically, send me an email, it is attached to this message.

Bonnie

Re: Re: Is Lacey being shown at Potomac?

Bonnie,

I am so sorry to hear Lacey is having a problem.
I will be thinking of her, and wishing her well.
I hope she will be OK....Warm Regards, Gina

I am going to take another stab at answering because so many folks have shown concern for her (thanks!) and I want to make sure that my brief response didn't actually increase the rumors.

This happened well after she came home from her year of showing. It was a totally freak accident. It happened the day before we were going to leave for Westminster. My husband decided to take all the dogs out for a run around the field at our training grounds because after all Lacey would be all cooped up in New York in a crate. Good thought, bad execution.

I remind him not to let Lacey jump out of the crate. She leaps into the air and the back of our car is pretty high off the ground. He assured me he never lets the dogs jump out of the crates. So he has a good time with the dogs and they have a good time. He comes home with the dogs and he parks the car in the garage too close to the garage door. And then he gets distracted by something and lets Lacey jump out of the crate. She leaps into the air but he is too close to the garage door. She hits the garage door, bounces off the door and lands hard and wrong on her leg and comes up with one leg in the air and hopping on the other 3 legs.

As you can imagine I was a crazy person at that point. I was imagining an ACL tear, an archilles tendon tear or a broken leg. She would not bear weight on that leg at all, it was fully pulled up. Phyllis Giroux DVM (DeepRun) agreed to see her (this is Sunday night) and while it wasn't broken and no one thought it was an ACL tear, it was swollen to at least twice its normal size.

Trying for a quick fix, they put on a sweat pack (like they do with horses) dosed her up the wazoo with anti-inflammatories and up to NY we went, hoping it was a momentary thing.

It wasn't. She went up to NY and came home from NY. And she has been in and out of soft casts and all kinds of wraps, been getting adjustments, doing acupuncture, doing ice packs and heat treatments etc

The swelling is significantly down, but not gone, she has been bearing about 90% of the weight on the foot but she still moves it around some when she is standing because it probably still bothers her.

She is slowly getting better and we do the most interesting activities to rehab her - because she won't put her full foot on the ground on that leg, we put a smooth bottle cap (like from a water bottle) taped to her good foot and she walks around the block three times a day - it forces her to stretch the archilles tendon on her bad foot and plant the foot firmly on the ground - she hates it but she does it (what choice does she have?) So she is doing all kinds of stuff like that for about 1/2 hour three times a day. As punishment for his misdeed, my husband does all the rehab work!

I know she dislikes the activities but she loves the attention, I think she does miss showing, she really seems to enjoy that kind of environment!

So unless she is that 10% better in the next two weeks, she will miss Potomac this year.

And if you want to know if I have forgiven my husband yet....well.......mostly.

Bonnie

Poor girl!! I hope she is better really soon. She is such a happy show girl, I hate to think of her being hurt!
Sheila

I am so sorry to hear that.

Did you have a room at the host hotel? If so, and you don't go can I have it? (just kidding)

Oh, what a shame. I am glad that Lacey's on the mend, and I hope she's back to her usual self very soon!!

So sorry to hear about the painful time Ms. Lacey has had. Our wishes for a really speedy recovery.

On the same token, I'm sorry that you have had such worry and also the disappointment, Bonnie. Geesh, it always happens at these times and fills us with regrets. But you and hubby's hearts were in the right place, to let her have some exercise and fun before Westminster. And the good news is, it could have been a LOT worse, and you still have that gorgeous girl.

Good luck if you do make it to Potomac and Good luck if you don't!!!

*S*

Thanks everyone.

In the end we have our girl and that is most important, that while painful to her and upsetting for me, it was never life threatening.

As for "Breeder" who would like my "hotel room" - I live about 30 minutes from the show site - so if you want my "room", there is a man who lives in it with me - he is a very good hearted, generous man, who loves dogs and will do anything to take care of them and keep them happy. Just don't let him take your dogs out of your truck!!

Bonnie

Thanks but no thanks Bonnie, it isn't worth it, I would rather stay off site!