Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Announcing dogs classes and shows

Why don't some people realize they should not post if and where their dog or bitch will be at a particular show for all to see? It does not matter what the question on the list is, no one should share that information for all to see. Isn't this the reason the catalogue does not come out prior and numbers are used for entries ?

It's JMHO

Re: Announcing dogs classes and shows

probably self promotion!!

Probably because some of us don't want to see the same old dogs every time, and if we know a particular dog is there (or dogs of a particular breeding) we are more likely to go watch.

For example, I live in Michigan where we have something like 20 show weekends a year within 2 hours of my home. Naturally I do not travel much ;) But it gets boring going time and again and seeing the same 20 dogs and bitches over and over, the same 3 specials. So if, for example, a breeder from the east coast (or west coast) was going to be attending a local show, I would absolutely want to know so I could see dogs of their breeding. Or someone who rarely shows at the all-breeds. I go to the local specialty every fall (Huron River, 15 minutes away) but even that gets a lot of dogs that I see at the local all-breeds. Not that I mind seeing the same dogs over again--but I'm not going to drive 2 hours away if I know that 95% of the entry is going to be at the show 20 minutes away next weekend.

I'm sure you're talking about the "who's going to Potomac" threads, and honestly, it's not self promotion. If there are more than 3 people that are interested in seeing that dog, he's probably there. That's what Potomac is about. That's what nationals in other breeds are about.

your probably right !!

One of the reasons the catalog doesn't come out early so that people who DON'T want to announce their presence can stay private, and a few other reasons that mainly have to do with specials and rankings. But there is nothing wrong with someone saying that their own dog will be there!

Why do we always assume our judges are dishonest?

Re: Re: Announcing dogs classes and shows

I never assumed or said that judges are dishonest I asked a basic question and now there are 3 different hypothetical reasons why I asked it. NVM, sorry I asked

Re: Re: Re: Announcing dogs classes and shows

Zee,
Not slamming you at all but would like to know why you think this is a problem and I guess especially at a show this size. It is true catalogs aren't out before the show because judges are not allowed to see them and therefore align dogs with their armband numbers. But truthfully I don't think it should be such a big deal when you are talking about a show as big as the Potomac being judged by a breeder judge, who is first of all a breeder and going to darned well put up what he or she likes no matter who they are. I think people are just excited to get to see some of the dogs they have not seen before and want to know if they will be there or not. Besides if the judge just knows they are going to be there then they still aren't going to know who the dog is because they don't know what the armband number is. Now of course many of you are saying, oh right they would know who Ch. Sunny Sunny Bob or Ch. Suzy Suzy Q is no matter their number....well they would have known who those dogs were even if they never heard that they were going to be at the show before hand. I think that the whole catalog thing is truly to keep armband numbers and dogs from being matched for the judges.
Again I really am not slamming you at all and if you think I have missed something tell me what you think.
Judy

Re: Re: Re: Re: Announcing dogs classes and shows

Most of us know the top dogs that will be going. That is one reason we go. Checking out the stud muffins.
Seeing some we have been hearing good things about. Helping us to make a choice. Maybe even getting a hands on with some of them. Lacey is not just a dog, she is a very special Labrador for our breed to be proud of. So sorry for her pain. Hope she is better soon. I could make a list of the males I'd love to see and some of the females. But don't think about 50 names would fit on here.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Announcing dogs classes and shows

I'm not a breeder,judge or handler...but I think it's nice to know what dogs are going to what shows simply because if there is a certain dog that has caught my eye I'd like to attend that show if possible to get a better look at the dog/bitch in person. Also maybe have the opportunity to get your hands on the dog, see it's temperament and talk to it's owner or handler. The dog you like may be from across the coast....so it's kind of nice to know if that dog or bitch will be at a show closer to where you live.....

I don't think judges as a whole are dishonest.

I'd wager there are a few that ARE, though.

Not to mention that there are unfortunately some people in any breed that if they know that so-and-so is going to be at a show to get that last major, they'll do what ever they can to break it. Also there are people that won't move up a dog that they know finished, either, and we're not talking about insurance points. (Not talking only about Labs either.) Heard of someone who did that to the tune of 8 Canadian "insurance" singles after the dog finished.

Ok - really dumb question FV, but what do you mean by "insurance points" and not moving a dog up?
Maybe I am not tracking correctly this early in the AM....Duh.
TIA
A

Insurance points are "extra" points (usually singles) that a handler shows a dog to, in case the AKC loses or takes away (for whatever reason) points from an earlier show. The dog is already finished, but still earning points because it is still competing in the classes. You can continue to compete in the classes until you receive your certificate in the mail, and even then you can still compete in Open. You can lose points lots of ways. Misentering a class (wrong puppy/age class.) Putting a Canadian-bred in Ambred. I have a friend who got a notice that one of her dogs earned points because they were reserve, and the WD was ineligible for whatever class it was in. So they plugged along and finished the dog. A few weeks later, they get a note from the AKC saying the points were reinstated to the *original* WD and now they had to earn those points all over again.

Move up is when you take a dog that you have calculated as "finished" but without AKC confirmation and put it in the Best of Breed class with the specials. It's a nice thing to do, so you aren't taking points from someone else who still needs them, but if you break a major sometimes people don't see it that way (as moving up takes one dog away from the total competing.)