Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Help with showing bitch in heat

I have a bitch that came into heat today. Our first show is Friday, what can I or should I do?

Will this be frowned upon? What is proper?

Advice!

Re: Help with showing bitch in heat

I would show her and just let the judge know she is in season before they go over her. Try not to bother the boys in the area.

Exactly what Mel said. And I'll re-emphasize staying away from the boys - don't take her to the ring until right before her class. And watch for boys in other breeds too! It certainly is not frowned upon at all.

I assume you mean conformation?
Yes then show her. Be courteous to fellow exhibitors and let them know you have a bitch in season.
You may want to tell the judge too.

Thank you

Re: Re: Help with showing bitch in heat

One other thing to keep in mind is that if she is really messy, wipe her off before you go in the ring. I think baby wipes usually do the trick.
Have fun!
Sheila

I go to handling class with and AKC all breed judge. She told us in class. You are not allowed to show a bitch in whelp. I never knew that was and AKC rule. She said once someone's bitch started delivered pups at a show. She said they got suppended. I do know breeders do it all the time. My repro vet says not to. I don't. Not worth losing the litter!

There is no reason not to show a bitch in season. Just keep them away from the other dogs.

Re: Re: Help with showing bitch in heat

I don't believe that's in the regs. That Norfolk/Norwich bitch (Coco) was in whelp at Westminster a couple years back. I'd look, but AKC needs better servers.