Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Pet food poison

The ASCPA website has a new post regarding the etiology of the poison. They believe it to be melamine. Not the rat poison as previously been posted. This is from the FDA. Melamine is not supposed to be toxic to dogs. There have been studies. But I am a chemist and have done some research. Antifreeze causes kidney failure with an abundance of calcium oxalate crystals. Melamine is from urea and formaldehyde. I read some research that says the citrate acts as a primary chelator or urinary calcium inhibiting urolithiasis, while oxalate promotes the formation of calcium oxalate. I still believe it is a different parent compound. Not just Melamine. There is a fertilizer tryichloromelamine. At the most the data shows that melamine fed in abundance to rats just caused tumors. I would like to know what kind of crystals these vets are seeing in the urine.

Re: Pet food poison

So, are they for sure that it is NOT rat poison?
Do they know the dates that this whole thing started?
I felt safe, as we feed dry food.
but now, I am worried.......

My dog was sick from a rat poison and we know for sure.We also know that she ate the wet food that was recalled. Im sure there is more then one poison involved as well as rat, Sure is scary for the other animals that may be sickened and showing no signs.
My girl showed signs of big thirst constantly and couldnt hold the urine for more then two hours, she went to be spayed and started bleeding on the table. SHe also had two blood tranfusion. Good thing doctor had seen rat poison symptoms and treated her with Vit, K. All pups where checked as well and so far good news with the PT.Her Pt is back to normal so .

Re: Re: Pet food poison

I think it is interesting you claim the rat poison. They are now saying it is melamine. I think there are multiple poisons. Now people are saying they had dogs in kidney failure in the past that ate this food. It is very scary.

Re: Re: Re: Pet food poison

Yes, I too now heard it is NOT rat poison.
Sometimes, I think some people just get on the band wagon and start making all kinds of claims.
Is it possible that this dog actually ate rat poison?
How can we know for sure?

Any poisoning to a animal or human, you may never know, I dont think it is the band wagon(compensated or law suit is the issue right now)Alot of dogs have died.We may never know as well this number,We have heard two differnt poison so far. First they said it could only be wet gravy, now it the cans, and yesterday they claimed dry food as well. People animals are getting sick and dead animals from the poisons( doesnt matter what it is).Dont you want the truth. I thank God my dog didnt die.I still believe their is more then one poison out there.

Dog breeder, the rat poison your dog was treated for couldn't have been Aminopterin, the poison the NY lab found in the tainted food. That substance works differently than the rat poisons (anticoagulants) approved for use in the USA, and vitamin K would not be effective.

she had kidney trouble as well. This was in the beginning and though the course of her pregnancy, What would of caused that? Do you know of if any the side of symptoms of the poison from melanmine?We would of never known of the poison if she wasnt spayed. According to her Pt elevation being considered High.It was slightly high, The Doctor is figuring from 2 to 4 months ago,having this results of the pt test.I know when her thirst and frequent pee pee( Im mean floods) Started.Her Urine was tested and was normal.

Pet-food recall: Del Monte pulls products
If you’re new to the site, please check out our general information page (includes links to recalled foods).
If you want to report a sick or deceased pet, click here.
If you want to know what you can do, please read our call to action
If you want to read all our recall-related blog posts, click here.
What more can we say? Let’s go straight to the media release:

SAN FRANCISCO–(BUSINESS WIRE)–As a precautionary measure, Del Monte Pet Products is voluntarily recalling select product codes of its pet treat products sold under the Jerky Treats®, Gravy Train® Beef Sticks and Pounce Meaty Morsels® brands as well as select dog snack and wet dog food products sold under private label brands. A complete list of affected brands and products is below.

The Company took this voluntary recall action immediately after learning this morning from the FDA that wheat gluten supplied to Del Monte Pet Products from a specific manufacturing facility in China contained melamine. Melamine is a substance not approved for use in food. The FDA made this finding as part of its ongoing investigation into the recent pet food recall.

The adulteration occurred in a limited production quantity on select product codes of the brands below. This recall removes all Del Monte pet products with wheat gluten procured from this manufacturing facility from retail shelves.

No other Del Monte Pet Products treats, biscuits or wet dog food products are impacted by this recall, and no Del Monte dry cat food, dry dog food, wet cat food or pouched pet foods are subject to this voluntary recall. The affected products comprise less than one-tenth of one percent of Del Monte Pet Products’ annual pet food and pet treat production.

Del Monte Pet Products has proactively engaged and fully cooperated with the FDA since the start of its investigation. The adulterated ingredients were used in limited production over the last three months for those items identified by specific product codes. Del Monte Pet Products has not used wheat gluten from this manufacturing facility in China in any other pet products except those described below.

Consumers should discontinue feeding the products with the Product Codes detailed below to their pets.

Del Monte Pet Products are 100% guaranteed and all returned product will be refunded.

(Product list after the jump. Thanks to itchmo and howl911. Special kudos to itchmo for another of his posts about Menu pulling pages off its Web site. )

Go to the latest blog post | Go to the PetConnection home page

Del Monte Pet Products customers can visit our website (www.delmonte.com) or contact our Consumer Hotline at (800) 949-3799 for further information about the recall and for instructions on obtaining a product refund.

Following is a list of the Products and Best Buy Dates that have been voluntarily recalled:

Production Code/Best By Date

BRANDED

Jerky Treats Beef Flavor
Code: TP7C05 TP7B07 TP7B08 TP7B09 TP6B10
Dog Snacks
Best By: Aug 05 08 Aug 07 08 Aug 08 08 Aug 09 08 Aug 10 08

Code: TP7B15 TP7C05 TP7C06
Best By: Aug 15 08 Sep 02 08 Sep 03 08

Gravy Train Beef Sticks
Code: TP7B19 TP7B20 TP7B21
Dog Snacks
Best By: Aug 19 08 Aug 20 08 Aug 21 08

Pounce Meaty Morsels Moist
Code: TP7C07 TP7C12
Chicken Flavor Cat Treats
Best By: Sep 04 08 Sep 09 08

PRIVATE LABEL

Ol’ Roy Beef Flavor Jerky Strips
Code: TP7B06 TP7B07 TP7C05 TP7C06 TP7C07
Dog Treats
Best By: Aug 06 08 Aug 07 08 Sep 02 08 Sep 03 08 Sep 04 08

Code: TP7C08
Best By: Sep 05 08

Ol’ Roy Beef Flavor Snack
Code: TP7B19 TP7B20 TP7B21 TP7C08 TP7C09
Sticks Dog Treats
Best By: Aug 19 08 Aug 20 08 Aug 21 08 Sep 05 08 Sep 06 08

Ol’ Roy Bark’n Bac’n Beef &
Code: TP7C14
Bacon Flavor Dog Treats
Best By: Sep 11 08

Ol’ Roy with Beef Hearty Cuts
Code: BC6M21
in Gravy Dog Food
Best By: Dec 21 09

Ol’ Roy with Beef Hearty Strips
Code: BC7A19
in Gravy Dog Food
Best By: Jan 19 10

Ol’ Roy Country Stew Hearty
Code: BC6M15
Cuts in Gravy Dog Food
Best By: Dec 15 09

Dollar General Beef Flavored
Code: TP7C06
Jerky Strips Dog Treats
Best By: Sep 03 08

Dollar General Beef Flavored
Code: TP7B20 TP7B21
Beef Sticks Dog Treats
Best By: Aug 20 08 Aug 21 08

Happy Tails Beef Flavor
Code: TPY7B08 TP7B09
Jerky Strips
Best By: Aug 08 08 Aug 09 08

Happy Tails Meaty Cuts with Beef
Code: BC7A29
in Gravy Dog Food
Best By: Jan 29 10

As part of the pet community, we value the health and well-being of pets, and we deeply regret this unfortunate situation. We will continue to take any and all actions necessary to ensure the quality and safety of our products.

Go to the latest blog post | Go to the PetConnection home page

Technorati Tags: pet food recall, dogs, cats,veterinarian, veterinary

Filed under: animals: pets, medical, news, 2007 food recall — Gina Spadafori @ 7:23 pm

MARCH 30, 2007

Menu Foods Clears Non-Recalled Food for Pet Consumption

TORONTO, ONTARIO
NOT FOR RELEASE OVER US NEWSWIRE SERVICES

Attention Business/Financial Editors

Menu Foods Income Fund (the "Fund") (TSX:MEW.UN) today expressed confidence that its “cuts and gravy” style pet food outside the recalled period is safe and healthy for consumption by North America’s cats and dogs.

The Fund’s announcement followed a news conference by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration, during which it identified that melamine has been found in wheat gluten imported from China. This is the wheat gluten in the recalled pet food that caused illnesses and deaths.

Melamine has not been found in other Menu Foods pet food, nor is it present in the wheat gluten from the other suppliers used by Menu Foods.

“The pet food that we have manufactured after March 6 is safe and healthy,” said Paul K. Henderson, President and CEO, at a news conference on Friday.

“How do we know this? First, it contains no melamine. Secondly, it contains none of the suspect wheat gluten. Thirdly, all of the testing that has been conducted, including the routine taste tests that were underway prior to the discovery of this problem, have demonstrated that those products not associated with the suspect wheat gluten performed very well and in a manner consistent with historic norms.”

“Quite simply, one supplier’s product was adulterated with a material that is not part of any known screening procedure for wheat gluten,” Henderson said. “The important point today is that the source of the adulteration has been identified and removed from our system.

“As a result, I can say with complete confidence today – to consumers, to our customers, to governments – that Menu Foods continues to uphold the high standards for which we have been known since 1971,” he said.

“Our products are safe. We continue to engage in the highest levels of monitoring and testing in the pet food industry. These tests will be expanded as a result of this experience,” said Henderson.

Menu is the leading North American private-label/contract manufacturer of wet pet food products sold by supermarket retailers, mass merchandisers, pet specialty retailers and other retail and wholesale outlets. In 2006, the Fund produced more than one billion containers.

- 30 -

Contact information:

Consumers
1-866-895-2708

Lethal pet food contained tainted wheat gluten from ChinaPublished: Sunday, 1 April, 2007, 08:45 AM Doha Time

WASHINGTON: Amidst spreading reports of pet deaths, the US Food and Drug Administration on Friday said it had found imported wheat gluten from China tainted with a fertiliser ingredient in dog and cat food connected to the deaths.
Investigators found melamine, a fertiliser ingredient used in Asia, in the urine of cats that died of kidney failure and in the kidney of another animals, Bloomberg financial news service reported.
Inspections have begun of wheat gluten imports from China, according to FDA officials.
At least 16 cats and dogs have died since December from eating products made by Manu Foods, a large pet food distributor headquartered in Canada.
The firm has confirmed more than a dozen deaths – many of them of cats who were fed samples of the food in routine testing by the company.
A large website, PetConnection, run under the supervision of a nationally-known veterinarian who is often on television, reported it has received reports of 2,600 deaths – but warns these are “self- reported” and have not been investigated.
The FDA noted there had been a second recall on Friday of dry cat food sold exclusively through veterinarians, produced by Hill’s Pet Nutrition. The food contained melamine.
A recall on March 16 affected about 90 brand names of popular “cuts and gravy” type food – chunks of meat in sauce – but not dry food. Friday’s announcement was the first indication that concerns have spread to other forms of pet food.
Melamine is also used to make plastic dishware, according to Stephen Sundlof of the Center for Veterinary Medicine at the FDA
“At this point, we do not know how melamine got into the wheat gluten,” Sundlof said at a news conference in Rockville, Maryland on Friday.
It was not clear if the melamine was responsible for the deaths.
Menu Foods chief executive officer Paul Henderson said at a news conference that the company didn’t now how many pets had died from eating the poisonous food.
The findings by the FDA contradicted reports last week that identified another substance - the rat poison aminopterin - as the possible culprit.
The company has said reports of pet deaths and illnesses from its food coincided with the use of a new supplier for wheat gluten, Bloomberg reported.
The FDA said it was trying to make sure the contaminated wheat gluten had not made it into human food. – DPA

Gulf Times Newspaper, 2007 ©

I have been keeping up to date on all of this.
Think some of the info you posted is "old news".
I do know now that it is not rat poison. Anyone who says it is, well maybe their dog just ate rat poison?

According to the last three thread on this subject on this forum are posting this "old thread" you called is current, think what you want.. Its your dog life and your business. Dont mislead people about important information that could save their friends dog life or their own.. Geesh.....

"The FDA said it was trying to make sure the contaminated wheat gluten had not made it into human food"

Somehow, no one seems too worried about this little item tacked on to the end of the statement?

Just found this update -- apparently FDA ceases tainted imported wheat gluten --

U.S. FDA Stops Imports From Chinese Company in Recall (Correct)

By Nancy Kercheval

(Corrects attribution in eighth paragraph.)

April 2 (Bloomberg) -- The U.S. Food and Drug Administration stopped imports from Xuzhou Anying Biologic Technology Development Co. Ltd., a Chinese manufacturer whose wheat gluten tested positive for a substance found in pet foods linked to animal deaths.

At least four pet-food manufacturers have pulled some of their products from U.S. shelves, including Menu Foods Ltd., which initiated the recall of 60 million cans of dog and cat food March 16. The official death count stands at 16 although the FDA has received more than 8,000 complaints.

The import alert was issued March 30 to detain shipments from Xuzhou Anying without physical examination, the FDA said. The company's wheat gluten was found to contain melamine, a substance used to make plastic kitchen utensils and fertilizers.

``This firm's products have tested positive,'' said FDA spokesman Michael Herndon in an e-mail. ``This is the only firm with positive samples.''

No one answered the phone at Xuzhou Anying, located in Pei county, Xuzhou, Jiangsu province. There was no option to leave a voice mail.

PetConnection.com, a Web site that is tracking the recall, has received reports from owners of more than 2,900 pet deaths from food-related kidney failure.

Nestle SA's Purina Pet Care Co. recalled Alpo Prime Cuts and Gravy wet dog food March 31 after it learned from the FDA that one of its 17 facilities received contaminated wheat gluten from the same company that supplied Menu Foods.

The FDA identified the originator of the wheat gluten as Xuzhou Anying, said Purina spokesman Keith Schopp. Mid-February was the only time Purina ever received any product from this Chinese company, he said.

Menu Foods produced its contaminated pet products between December and March, said company spokeswoman Sarah Tuite, who declined to name the supplier. Del Monte Co.'s pet products division used the suspected wheat gluten in the last three months, said Mary Sestric, who also declined to name the supplier. Hill's Pet Nutrition Inc. spokeswoman Amy Thompson didn't return a call.

To contact the reporter on this story: Nancy Kercheval in Washington at nkercheval@bloomberg.net .

Last Updated: April 2, 2007 14:15 EDT

Email this article Printer friendly format

Advertisement: You've worked

No one is misleading anyone. I think we all know what foods have been affected etc. I think it has been said time and time again, it is not rat poison.So,why are you so defensive?

If you would like to email privatly,I would glady speak to private about the information you seem to know little about Or maybe you would like to speak to a FDA representive for New Jersey that is handling my rat poison case tell her what your professional opinion is.Your choice.

Rat poison?

If you would like to email privatly,I would glady speak to private about the information you seem to know little about Or maybe you would like to speak to a FDA representive for New Jersey that is handling my rat poison case tell her what your professional opinion is.Your choice.

Dog Breeder was the one with the rat poison problem.
hmmmm

YES AND THE BITCH WE CO BRED IS HER ASS H*****LE.WE CO BREED/OWN HER TO GETHER DAH.......I TOLD HER TO GO ON THIS FORM TO SPEAK ANOUT HER BITCH BEING POISON. I JUMPED IN LATER WHEN WE FOUND MORE INFO TO HELP DOG/PET/BREEDER OWNERS. I DIDNT THINK THAT WAS A CRIME. LIKE I SAID IF YOU WANT TO CONTACT ME OR FDA PERSONALLY DO SO OR BE GONE..... GNOME YOU.

All right, but apart from the sanitation, medicine, education, wine, public order, irrigation, roads, the fresh water system and public health, what have the Romans ever done for us?

Blessed are the cheesemakers.