Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
how tight is to tight?

Stud dog's parent's share a grandfather, how close is to close when looking at that same male in a bitch being bred to stud dog? Do you increase the chance of problems breeding this close? If the bitch owner is aware and willing to take the risk, fine?

What about folks with a bitch that have little / no knowledge of pedigrees it does happen, folks contact stud owner and ask about using him, is it stud dog owners responsibility to educate / warn of potentail problems in such tight linebreedings.

AND, why do some "newer" stud dog owners take everything so personally? It is not a reflection on their dog or themselves it is a case of what is the best / safest overall pedigree? Knowledge is power?

Re: how tight is to tight?

Please explain more, I don't understand the question?

Re: Re: how tight is to tight?

"Stud dog's parent's share a grandfather, how close is to close when looking at that same male in a bitch being bred to stud dog? Do you increase the chance of problems breeding this close? If the bitch owner is aware and willing to take the risk, fine?"

2 of the 4 gr/grandfathers in a stud dogs pedigree is the same dog. how close is to close when looking at a bitch pedigree that contains the "same male" ie the male that the stud dog is line-bred on.

does that help?

Re: Re: Re: how tight is to tight?

There are no "rules" when it comes to linebreeding. So, the stud is a result of a 1/2 brother to 1/2 sister breeding? Did he live with you? Do you know his (the grandfather's) strengths, weaknesses, soundness, workability, conformation? If not, you'd better research it well.

There have been some very successful inbreedings and tight linebreedings in the history of the breed, but it's not something that should be experimented with if you don't intimately know the dog you are linebreeding on, IMO.

As a stud dog owner, I will refuse a bitch whose phenotype OR genotype I am wary of, but many stud dog owners will accept a bitch with clearances regardless of her physical or genetic makeup.

It all depends on WHAT dog they are linebred on, as well as any other dogs that they are more loosely linebred on.

Better to do a very tight linebreeding on a preponent stud who isn't known to produce problems, than to do a loose linebreeding on 2 or 3 dogs four generations back that are known to produce lots of problems.

I am hoping to do two breedings that are very similar with Tonks, once she's old enough. Her father is a grandson/greatgrandson of stud dog A, and the stud I'm looking at is a son of that stud dog A.

Other side of the coin, would like to breed her to a son of her mother's half-brother.

When I look at a potential stud dog (and mind I haven't bred a litter yet) for what i have or what I'd like to have, I print off a 6 gen. pedigree (the longest that I can cram on a sheet of paper) and highlight littermates in the same color. I have a set of 12 markers and have used as many as 8 of them on a 6gen pedigree. It's much more telling than a 4gen, and you can see at a glance what you are linebreeding upon. I have the ped software handy so I can make sure the 6th generation gets properly marked even though parents aren't on the sheet.

Sometimes the 6 gen is a surprise compared to the 4gen!

Optigen has helped us too, when line breeding, to help guide us as to whether we're doubling up on PRCD PRA.

FV:
I'm just starting to put this information together for my girl--she's 18 months and I'm researching in preparation for breeding her in a year or so.

When you're looking at your 6 generation pedigree, how do you know who is littermate to whom? Some of the names give it away if the litter is named with a common identifier, and I'm sure many folks out there know the past dogs lke they know the way home... but for many of these wonderful dogs, I'm still clueless.

Is there a database where I can find litter information on my bi***es ancestors--litter sizes, names, sexes?

Thanks...I sure do appreciate the info on this forum.

I have a pedigree database with 11000 Labs in it (built over just 2 years).

If I don't know the ancestors of a dog, I Google, then check OFA (because sometimes it's hard to find stuff in OFA if the spelling is wrong), also I'm on an e-mail list for Labrador Pedigrees and Rez from Longplain is excellent with pre-1970s stuff.