Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
asking about breedings

say one finds a dog that they like and wants to get a pup from said dog. would it be ok to ask that stud owner about who she bred her stud with; well not all the brindings but say ones in your area, ex. west/east coast?
thanks
adam

Re: asking about breedings

Absolutely. Ask them.

Re: Re: asking about breedings

thanks for the reply.
adam

no, I sent a prospective buyer to the owner of a litter sired by my stud dog. It was in another state, but the buyer hounded and pestered this lady to death. We wondered about his stability. I won't do it anymore.

wait i am confused now.
adam

Re: Re: Re: asking about breedings

Different Laura.

The first one always uses her e-mail :)

I think it's completely acceptable. I've done it in the past and it actually opened up the door to purchasing a pup from the stud owner that they took back in lieu of stud fee and they were planning on keeping for themselves. She ended up being the best brood I've had.

Of course all things being said inquiring about anybody's pups you must remember to use tact and that buying a pup is a priviledge not a right.

Good Luck!!!!

Re: Re: Re: Re: asking about breedings

I list all matings on my web site, which girls have been to visit or have been mated to one of my boys, as well as the girls owners contact details, I have never had a problem with over enthusiastic (sp) buyers.

Some may not want their personal information given out either.

It's only polite to ask if they want the litter listed on the stud dogs page.

I always ask anyone that has used one of my boys "do you want referals?" if the answer is yes, then I gladly send ppl their way that may have inquired asking me for info on puppies that either I might have available or for info on pups by one of my boys.

FYI, I would never post a link to someones e-mail or website without their permission. It seems that in this fast paced World that sometimes ppl forget that common manners used to dictate an "ask first policy"

Re: Re: Re: asking about breedings

thanks again for the help.
adam

Re: Re: Re: Re: asking about breedings

Sure you can ask. Also ask which girl they thought was a really nice match. If they breed alot there might be better litters than others. Still do your homework and don't just take any pup from the stud dog. Think anyone with a stud dog would be glad to help you.