Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Puppies on raw?

As a breeder would you sell a puppy to a family who is new to feeding raw if that is what they would feed the puppy?

If not, in your opinion at what age would it be more acceptable to feed raw after feeding kibble.

Thanks

Re: Puppies on raw?

Absolutely not and not until they were done growing.

My puppies start on ground raw at 2 weeks and do great! I love the way they develop on it.

To the person who wouldn't start them on raw until adults I'm curious as to why you'd suggest that?

Re: Puppies on raw? Part two...

Another note, there is no wheat gluten in raw food.

Re: Re: Puppies on raw? Part two...

Not only would I sell them a puppy, I would seek out this kind of buyer
I fed raw back when Billinghurst said to feed 85% raw meaty bones and now I feed 60% and they all passed clearances and still do, so there is more room for error in this diet than many people think.
Relax, they'll do just fine.

Re: Re: Puppies on raw? Part two...

No wheat gluten in Kirkland (Costco) either. It is corn and wheat gluten and by-products I avoid, which is why I feed it.

Re: Re: Re: Puppies on raw? Part two...

Actually, I fed Raw for many years and sent puppies home on raw with very explicit feeding instructions. I did not require that the new homes feed raw, but I strongly suggested it. Sometimes it went well and sometimes it DID NOT got well!

What I found is that the average pet owner is not as committed as we are (as breeders) to making sure that their puppy gets properly fed over time. Feeding variety of foods is important when feeding raw and increasing amounts over time is also important as well. I found that many of my raw fed pups were WAY under weight!! The type of commitment you need to make when feeding this type of diet was just too much for MOST families.

While I still feed Raw foods as a "part" of my dogs diet I do not suggest (nor do I require) that my new puppy owners feed raw. However, if someone approaches me with a strong interest in feeding their pup raw I will help and provide info. and guidance. I've found that those who approach me with a strong interest in feeding raw are usually the ones who do the best on the BARF diet.

Hope that helps!

I don't know that I would outright refuse to sell a puppy to a new raw feeder. I think it's a great thing and if someone wants to go that route with their puppy, I would encourage it. However, I would first have a long conversation with them about it, ask them what kind of research they have done, what kinds of foods they plan to feed, etc. I wouldn't want someone that just heard about it from a friend or something to try and "wing it." I myself am a fairly new raw feeder. But I researched the diet for about 2 years before I took the plunge. I've thought about raising my puppies on it, but I know my average puppy buyer and I've come to the conclusion that most would probably not make the effort to continue with it properly.

I agree with Melissa.

I don't feed raw but I do know that the diet must be balanced when doing so. There is a lot to learn besides just feeding raw meat.