Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
AI question

We are getting ready to do a fresh chilled AI on our bitch, Onyx. In a perfect world, she would be ready to breed on Tuesday and Thursday, with no weekends involved.

She went really fast last cycle (going from 0 to 12 by Day 8), but we think she had a split cycle last time. She was actually due in August, but had an injury and missed August, but came in in October...only for 8 days. So, we are doing the Target test on her every other day, so we don't miss anything. She is on Day 6 today, and still is a C1 on the Target test. My question is this...for those who have had to have semen shipped, what do you do if the bitch needs to be bred on Sunday? This Sunday will be Day 12, and may still be too soon, but given what happened last time, we want to prepare for everything possible.

Re: AI question

We we do is this, if she needs to be bred on Sunday, make sure you get in a Saturday breeding. You can usually get a Fed Ex shipment on a Sat. This way, the semen can live inside her, and you can be covered for Sunday. JUst my opinion.

I recently did a breeding where the semen was collected in the morning, arrived the next day, was refrigerated until the following day when the AI was done at noon. She is due next week and is very pregnant. I'm not sure whether it would be better to inseminate a day early or refrigerate and breed on the ideal day. My girl was 5.0 ng on the day semen was collected.

I have had the semen flown in and picked it up at the airport. Alsop have used the train for Sunday delivery on semen.

Re: Re: AI question

We had that exact scenario, we had seman delivered on Saturday, AI'd her, used 1/2 then AI'd again on Sunday, had seman shipped Monday for Tuesday and we have 9 little cuties!

Good luck!