Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Skinny Momma

It has been 5 weeks since welping and my girl is not really nursing much anymore, but EXTREMELY thin. She normally weighs about 59-63lbs, and I imagine right now she is 10-15lbs under that. She is still eating the puppy formula, and I am still feeding 4-6 times a day, about 2 cups per meal. We are starting to be more active with her, longer walks, hikes, and playing chuck-it again. She does not seem lathargic, but def. much more mellow than before she got pregnant.
On a side note, we are going to the Vets on Friday for a check up, and she was given a wormer last Monday, and I started her back on hartguard(4 weeks post whelp).
Just thought that others could shed some light and put my worries to rest.

Re: Skinny Momma

Some Momma's need more food than others. Try increasing a couple of her meals.

My girl bounced back with 6 - 8 cups per day but know others who need 10+. Imagine it all depends on the brand of food being fed too.

Your girl is probably tired! Think about it if they were human babies! But most females do eat about 10-16 cps a day depending too on how high a protein /fat content in the food, look smaller due to hair loss on their sides from babies nursing and raking their mothers sides with tiny sharp toenails, and still most likely is still nursing?

If your puppies are not weaned they should be by now or at least being fed 3-4 times a day to help Mom.. it will take about 4-6 mos for Mom to look her old self with some mature results thrown in. Personalities do change due to maturity mentally.

Thanks!
She is eating Chick Soup for the Puppy, and the pups are eating at least 4 times a day, the only time she is nursing is if they catch her while ouside during our playtime really. Her coat has thinned out, but I expected much worse, actually. Just feel bad that she is a skinny-minnie....

What about trying those "satin balls" that were posted about a little while ago. They are apparently used for putting weight on and from the recipe, look like they would be a great treat for your girl. There were two really good recipes posted here http://pub12.bravenet.com/forum/976632990/show/627265

Good luck.

Try Innova Evo. This will put weight and muscle (with proper excercise) back on your girl.

I noticed that post earlier, and I am going to try the Satin Balls!

Be interested to know how your girl does on the Satin Balls for future reference.

Please keep us posted.

Hope it works for your baby.

I'll bet you'll be surprized at her weight when you take her to the vet, sinse everything has gone south it makes them appear skinny but they really aren't it's just that everything has gone down instead of out... also the hair loss will make them look skinnier.
Aloha,
Jackie