General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Color test

Vetgen or Healthgene for colour test?

Re: Color test

Vetgen.

I have heard of 2 cases where healthgene didn't get it right....

Hi Jackie,

I have used Vetgen 3 times in the past and I found them to be reliable and quick.

Shelley

Re: Re: Color test

We used VetGen on a dog that was dominant black and had never been bred. Results came back that he carried yellow. He has sired 2 litters of black and yellow pups and a quick reply.

My girls mother Byc, father By. She Vetgen tested as Bc and produced all black with one choc. in her last litter. Stud bred to was Byc.

I trust them more than the other from what I have heard.

VetGen for sure! I have a good friend where they wanted to save the $5.00 and went to HealthGene, the girl came back dominant black but had chocolate and black puppies. The company would not refund but offered to re-test (at that point it was a no brainer with chocolates all ready on the ground). They really did not seem overly concerned that their test was in error.
I have used VetGen a few times over the years and found them to be helpful, prompt, and most importantly correct.

Vet Gen!!!!!!!!

Re: Re: Re: Color test

Three of my black dogs were diagnosed by Healthgene as carrying chocolat genes. Finally none of them were having any chocolate as hidden colour.
No re-fund , no excuse....
And they still advertise their test.
Not very good!
JL

Same thing happened to me - a black bitch tested carrying chocolate (I knew that was impossible, I just had wanted to know if she carried yellow). They retested for free and came back dominant black (no chocolate). Of course they insisted it was a simple clerical error rather than an error in their test - they said "someone" had written down the wrong results. Oh yeah. Well, I use VetGen now exclussively!

Forgot to say the company that made the "error" was Healthgene.

Just from the anecdotal cases I've heard, the Healthgene errors seem to be related to the chocolate gene.
I've used Healthgene 2x in the past, no choco involved, both results were accurate.

I've used HealthGene twice and both times, the results were accurate. Both were black dogs, one came back dominant black (which we were 99.9% sure would happen) and the other came back Byc. The Byc boy was bred to a yellow bitch and all 3 colors were produced, so we know it's accurate. But we sent in blood samples as opposed to cheek swabs. Not sure if that would make it any more accurate or not.

Vet Gen.....very easy to work with....results back within a reasonable amount of time !!

Thanks. I spoke to Vetgen yesterday and they are sending me a kit. They were really nice and helpful on the phone.