Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Royal Canin

As if the problems with recent dog food scares are not enough I understand there is now a class action suit against Royal Canin. I was told this is a result of kidney faliure caused by too much vitamen E in thier food. Can anyone confirm ??? I am hoping this does not apply to the Lab food :(

Re: Royal Canin

From a thread back in March --
Here is the web site for the law firm that has launched the suit. Info on the suit is here; as well, they link you to a PDF listing the 59 Royal Canin brands named in the suit, sold from sometime in 2004.......

http://www.rochongenova.com/petfoods.aspx

thank you

Does anyone know as of what date they are saying the food was bad? I could not find were is said what kind of food? My boy has been on it almost 2yrs now! Very Worried

I've fed various RC products for the past couple of years and this lawsuit press release is the first I had heard about their dog food products being affected by both mold and excessive Vitamin D. I know that there are others on this forum who feed RC. Have any of you who use their puppy or Lab diet had problems at all?

Re: Re: Royal Canin

Ok let's not start any bad information here.

There is nothing wrong with the Royal Canin food.

If you are worried please call the 800 number to put all of your minds at ease !!!

They are willing to answer your concerns. 800-592-6687

Re: Re: Re: Royal Canin

I've fed Royal Canin Lab for several years and have had NO problems. I don't expect any either.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Royal Canin

I don't have a problem either, my crew ( all 8 of them) absolutly REFUSE to Royal Canin.

I have fed Royal Cannin for the past three years.
My dogs like it. I have no complaints.

So is the lawsuit against them in Canada specific to the foods made and sold in Canada? Not trying to stir anything up but just wondering and your statement is pretty straight forward so I'm assuming that you might know the answer.
quote< Ok let's not start any bad information here.

There is nothing wrong with the Royal Canin food. >unquote
The Labrador formula is one of the 57 foods named in the class action suit against Royal Canin in Canada.

JUST WONDERING Call !!! 800-592-6687 to stop your wondering.

Of course, you are a distributor for Royal Canin......Can you tell us if the food sold in Canada is manufactured at the same plant as the food sold in the US, and in Europe?

What part of "there is nothing wrong with the FOOD" don't people understand!!

well i will jump in on this. two years ago we thought we had an issue with Royal Canin Holistic blend dog food. we had 9 of our own dogs on this product prior to Royal canin transferring the product to there Techincal dog food division which was in June/july 2005. At this time two youngester( age 10/11 months old) were exhibiting rashes, itchy, almost like hives about 20 minutes after eating.they had been on this dog food from birth. the two pup were taken to the vets and cortisone shots were given and IV. immedicately. the vet claim dog food isssue. WE contact royal canin and explained and they sent a representative and pick up our dog food to Test IN THEIR LABRATORY. At this time royal canin had " new and improve the formula with more Beta/carotene and salmon. we were going along the lines of two much beta in the food. the results took 6 weeks to come back. all levels of ingredients came back at recommeneded levels execpt for the preservative in the products which was reduce to low levels( this was explained by the labratory to us that this happens when dog food bags are opened to the air. they also tested for mold out of twenty bags we bought. no signs of any. the other dogs that did not show any signs had no issues and the two that seemed to have issues were switch to another dog food brand, and their problems cleared up.we cannot explain what happened and royal cannine work well with us on trying to find a solution.we still feed royal cannin( which is the techincal holistic blend)in canada.

Thank you for your reply although the caps indicate that you were a bit unhappy with my inquiry. I will indeed call Royal Canin just to clarify with them although I don't feed it and if this an indication of how those that are proponents of it respond to a civil question, I probably won't try it
I only addressed the question to you since your post was so emphatic that nothing was wrong with the food, I assumed you had personal knowledge that you might share. So much misinformation has been out about the recent recalls. I guess I should have saved my fingers and picked up the phone, I'm hoping that the customer service folks are a bit more tolerant.

FYI - They do note on their site that they had a problem with excessive vitamin D3 in some of their foods in early 2006. (I think they list 7 of their Veterinary Foods that may have been affected)

Just to clarify my previous post...RC notes on their site that they voluntarily withdrew the products in question in early 2006. I don't think it mentions how long prior to that the problem had existed. I guess we could assume from this that they don't use the same vitamin pre-mix formula in all of their products.

Thank you, I did go to their website and missed that. That is all I really wanted to know. If they had the same problem as the Canadian food and if it had been addressed. I understand that any food manufacturer can have a problem caused either from outside sources or internal ones and would never base my decisions on what happened in the past IF and that is a big if, I know that the problem was rectified. It is when companies are not forthcoming with information that I have to question their standards. I understand that if I were to have just called them in the first place I could have had the answer and certainly regret posting my question to one of their distributors on this forum.

To Just Wondering

Just to note...I read this information on their Canadian site and not their US site. As for the current class action lawsuit it seems to be naming far more of RC's products. They did have a note on their Canadian site about the lawsuit as well, but I can't seem to find it now.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Royal Canin

Tolerant... Oh I was being tolerant.

We are not allowed to give out information or even talk about these issues THAT is why I told you to call the 800 number so that someone that was starting the thread wasn't going to miscommunicate WRONG information.

EVERY dog food company in time has had recalls at sometime or another....

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Royal Canin

<>
Internet etiquette equates Caps with shouting as I'm sure you know, so IMO you were shouting at me. Certainly not a professional representation of the company that you are connected with.

<>

When you made the statement that there was nothing wrong with food, you were obviously giving out information as well as talking about the issue. So the dialog was already opened by you.I don't think anyone was posting anything that wasn't public information.

<>

Once again a statement that begs to be questioned.
"Many" dog food companies, undoubtedly. "Most" dog food companies, perhaps..but "Every" dog food company, not likely.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Royal Canin

As a retailer of RC and many other pet foods we have not received any information that would include ANY of RC's products in the recall.
I did receive an email from the company yesterday stating the same, confirming that NONE of their product is part of the food recall.