Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Naked Lab neck & showing?

My girl just returned from being bred and she has a bald spot on the nape of her neck where the stud dog was holding on while mounting her.

I know this can happen but she is due to be shown in a few weeks and it’s quite obvious.

Any grooming hints or tips to cover this up?

She has fur that is basically doing a “comb over” right now but it looks funny.

She’s yellow or else black would show like a glowing moon of new skin.

Would a judge discredit her for this? Judges out there?????

TY

Re: Naked Lab neck & showing?

You'd be surprised how fast a bald spot can start to fill in, but I don't show my girls after they have been bred. I keep them home and away from other dogs.

Re: Re: Naked Lab neck & showing?

Put some white chalk on the area to take the red look away from the skin. or baby powder.

Re: Re: Re: Naked Lab neck & showing?

Great idea! Thanks :-)

BTW she was bred and is not in whelp just has the residual bald spot.

I agree I never show a girl if she's in whelp too much risk to be around other dogs.

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

Replying to:

Put some white chalk on the area to take the red look away from the skin. or baby powder.

Um, if she was bred, then potentially she's in whelp. Not sure what your definition is, but there's no such thing as "a little pregnant" - either she is or not, and at this point you have to assume she is.

Hi!

She's your dog, but I don't even show any of my dogs when I have a bitch that's been bred. There's too much of a risk of bringing something home. I figure there's always another show to go. I wouldn't want to bring home kennel cough or anything.

JMO,

Donna

!BTW she was bred and is not in whelp just has the residual bald spot.

I agree I never show a girl if she's in whelp too much risk to be around other dogs.!

If she was bred she is considered in whelp until determined otherwise by a pregnancy test or ultrasound. I agree, she is either pregnant or not--there is no such thing as a little pregnant or a little in whelp. I hope it all works out to your liking and wishes with her bald spot and a litter 9 weeks from the breeding

In all the breedings I have ever witnessed, I have never once seen a stud dog hold on by the back of the neck. Cats, yes, but dogs?? Are you sure that is what the problem was from? Could it have been a reaction to Frontline or Advantix? I had a girl loose hair on the back of her neck after I applied Advantix. I now use Frontline on her, and have had no problem.

It happens quite frequently. Not all males do it, but it does happen. I've even had this happen when bitches play "Humpty Dumpty" with each other when someone is coming in heat. The spot looks like a hot spot. It's very frustrating.

The best thing to do is put peroxide on it and Gold Bond powder until the inflamation is gone and then keep salve on it. I use Farnum's Fura ointment. It's for horses, but works great on dog wounds. Most farm stores have it. If they don't, they can order it.

I have witnessed many breedings and males DO grab the neck to hold on. Some more than others.

I stated she is not in whelp and I know for sure...I did an ultrasound and it showed no pups...her sore is completely healed...just pink and bald with little fuzzies coming in.

Please don't jump on me...I was specific about her NOT being in whelp.

Corey....perhaps you you only do or observe AI's and have forgotten how dogs breed naturally?

It only makes logical sense that the male grabs the neck to not only hold on but to pull himself closer to gain penetration.

When breeders assist and 2 people are present holding the girl and the boy and helping him insert his penis you may not see this but if you let them do it alone...trust me they do what they need...to get her bred.

I personally think more natural breedings should take place...even if my girl gets a sore neck....I like a stud dog that knows what to do and how to get the job done without the intervention of humans other than observing to make sure nothing goes wrong and everyone is safe.

Some studs don't even try...they look at the human with the bag and have no instincts anymore...I happen to think it's vital that stud dogs still know how to breed and will pass that behavior on to their get.

If there is a willing girl and boy...let them try....before you reach for the bag.
Unless it's a shipment that you need to send out.

Intervene only if necessary is my motto...nature is a beautiful thing.

JMO

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

Replying to:

In all the breedings I have ever witnessed, I have never once seen a stud dog hold on by the back of the neck. Cats, yes, but dogs?? Are you sure that is what the problem was from? Could it have been a reaction to Frontline or Advantix? I had a girl loose hair on the back of her neck after I applied Advantix. I now use Frontline on her, and have had no problem.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Naked Lab neck & showing?

I love a stud that will grab a hold of a female and hang on for dear life! Great dogs to work with!!

Are you responding to me? I don't think I jumped on you. Sorry you read it that way.

I have been there for many natural breedings, but I have never seen a dog grab hold of the neck. Learn something new every day!

No..I wasn't referring to you

Dogs will grab (or nibble) at the back of a bitch's neck when mounting. Stallions do as well. That's why you often see a mare's neck wrapped in a heavy duty rubber sleeve to prevent the stallion from really hurting her.

Corey, our S. Motown (Lionel) did just that--- nibble and then steadily yank out hair on the bitch's neck/withers. It was somewhat embarrassing when his gals went home slightly denuded!

I have seen stallions in action, and they will grab tight. Cats too. I just have never seen a dog do it! It's great to keep getting educated!

In both the natural breedings I've witnessed, the stud grabbed at the bitch's neck.

Only two natural breedings; rest were AI's but some stud dogs even on a fresh AI will try to grab the bit*ch's neck or drool all over it. Depends on the boy, are any males alike human or dog hehe?

Exhibitor, had you made it clear that your bred bitch was ultrasounded being the reason you knew she was not in whelp it might have avoided the confusion. Communication is great!

Good luck the next time you breed her, if using the same stud dog maybe you might want to try a Fresh AI instead of a natural breeding to insure the semen is deposited in the right area. Nature isn't always the best way to go, different ways for different situations. I am an advocate of both.

keep vaseline on the spot, it seems the hair grows in faster