Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Engorged mammary glands b4 whelp

Need some help from anyone who's had experience with this:
My recently-bred bitch I co-own with someone else was reported to have mammary development three weeks ago. When I got her two weeks ago, she did have what I would consider excessive mammary development, and was producing milk. I've been monitoring temp and warm-packing the really engorged teats as I was concerned about her developing a mastitis. So far so good, no mastitis, no fever, but still lots of milk (appears normal, like the first milk/colostrum). She is due today and is going through the first stage of labor. I have everything set up and will be home with her for the duration.
My question is: has anyone experienced this before? And do I need to be concerned about the puppies nursing on teats that have had milk in them for 3 weeks? I did milk out some of the bigger teats somewhat, but I'm sure I didn't get it all. My concern is that they would get sick from the "old" milk.
I also got plasma to give the puppies to make up for the lost colostrum. She will be having a large litter, 10 or more.
Anyone? TIA

Re: Engorged mammary glands b4 whelp

The milk isn't "old" like something sitting on the counter. The dog's internal temperature keeps it sterile. I would not have expressed any of it out unless she had developed mastitis.

Let her whelp and let the puppies nurse. If the litter is small and she has tons of milk, keep watching for signs of mastitis.

MK

Re: Re: Engorged mammary glands b4 whelp

I agree with MK the "milk" is not old....in fact it is colostrum and you should not nurse it off. Leave for the upcoming babies. Just monitor those teats. Have some antibiotic ready if necessary. Check with your vet.

Our girl had her and (our) first litter last summer. Being an old ranch girl I was terrified about her
"colostrum" as she was leaking huge puddles of milk on the floor for atleast a week before her puppies were born. She was really "bagged" up and I thought she would not have that important first milk for her puppies. But in the end she had 11 puppies and all was well. She was alot less nervous about everything than I was

It's probably not bags full of milk - the hormones cause fluid to be retained in the tissue (edema.) Just like when women get swollen ankles late in pregnancy. It's completely normal, and the engorgement will subside in a couple of days after the birth.

Thanks for your responses; I will worry less. I figured Nature has a way of providing for these things that we stupid humans question. :-)
You all are like the "phone a friend" option from "Who Wants to be a Millionaire!"
Much appreciated!

REMEMBER KEEP THOSE TEATS CLEANED EVERYDAY, even after going out to potty, wash her down daily

Re: Re: Re: Engorged mammary glands b4 whelp

I am a breeder of 20 years and a board certified lactation consultant. I agree with all the responses except the keep cleaning the teats. Putting foreign smells or taking away the normal secretions is not helpful to pups finding their way to nurse. Good luck.
Feel free to contact me, you do have problems. All sounds normal to me!

Re: Re: Re: Re: Engorged mammary glands b4 whelp

sorry-that was supposed to be a smile. I am not a pro at this.

Re: Re: Re: Engorged mammary glands b4 whelp

I never clean the teats on the mommy dog unless there is blood discharge that's gotten on it that mom hasn't cleaned and then I only use clean water. Not good to mess with mother nature too much and I too would not have expressed the milk on the bitch prior to whelping, i've had bitches that were loaded with milk prior to delievry and have never had a problem with it clogging.
Aloha,
jackie

Thanks again...We've had 7 puppies so far, and everyone is nursing successfully. Have already seen a normal poop, too!
I am a Ms. Natural, too, and only warm-packed the teats with a very rinsed-out towel. Mom and babies doing well, but we're not done yet...!

Robin ~ How many more puppies did your girl have? Hope all is well with mom and pups..

my vet says to wash with plain water after squatting in the yard the dirt can enter and cause mastitis. use a clean paper towel with plain water, thats it

Bella ended up having 8, we lost two black bitches ;-(
All 8 doing great, I see fat tummies and nice little football poops. I got 4 black males, 1 black female, 1 yellow male, and 1 yellow female.
Bella's mammary glands still engorged, but I think Nancy posted that some of this is edema, and I think that is true. No mastitis, in fact mom looks absolutely great! I'm staying on top of it though.
This is my first litter in over a year, so these babies were very welcome. I feel blessed