Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
PennHIP database is coming!

I took 2 pups to the University of Pennsylavania for PennHIP x-rays today. The vet told me that they are having a database built for PennHIP results. He said they hope to have it up and running in about 2 months. Initially it will only have results from the last 2 years. After that they will begin gradually populating the database with older results. This is going to be fabulous for folks who are looking for studs with outstanding scores. And, of course, it will provide information on all dogs and bitches that will be helpful in pedigree research.

Re: PennHIP database is coming!

Wonderful news!

How can PennHip assemble an initial data base with info over the past several years without first obtaining written permission from the owner?
I've had many of my dogs PennHipped and did not sign any release form.

Re: Re: PennHIP database is coming!

WaHoo!!!!

I do remember signing something about releasing information. So, they did have a waiver on the form.

Re: Re: Re: PennHIP database is coming!

If you initialed the place on the bottom of the form, you agreed to share information.

What's been lacking in PennHip all along is that we don't know how heritable PennHip scores are. We know that the score is a good (but not infallable) indicator of an individual dog developing HD, but we don't know if a high scoring PennHip dog has a higher probability of producing higher scoring PennHip pups. The database will be a first step in this, and will make PennHip a better breeder tool.

Re: Re: PennHIP database is coming!

I have 4 generations of dogs done with both PennHip and OFA hip/elbow and my experience is that each generation the scores are getting higher with less concerns on my part that pets will be so afflicted with hip dysplasia that I have to replace or help pay for corrective surgury. This is a big step for those truly concerned on improving the status of soundness in their line/kennel. I only wish they did some pass/fail grading on elbows too with an open database. It will eventually come.

Re: Re: Re: PennHIP database is coming!

I do not remember initialing anything / a waiver to release info. I don't mind it being shared in a data base, but just don't recall signing anything.

could be old age on my part